Iowathumper

Reaction score
looking to buy either a ZR2 or a trail boss in the near future so looking for information on these 2 vehicles.
I heard they are making a trail boss in the 2500 series mid year.
I will be researching the 2 forums for info to make a decision.

looking to buy either a ZR2 or a trail boss in the near future so looking for information on these 2 vehicles.
Lots of good reviews in written articles and on YouTube for the ZR2s.

ZR2 1500 is very capable. my 6.2l gasser with an aftermarket exhaust is a blast. few software issues but nothing thats would make me sell.....yet. i guess you are leaning diesel?

Price them both and then decide. Before I bought my 1500 ZR2 I was shopping AT4 and Trailboss. I actually ordered a AT4, then later canceled it for a ZR2. But if you want a lot of the options. The prices get real close. IE a Trailboss is cheaper starting out. But if you add 360 camera's, 6.2, Ect. They actually get up pretty close in price. It's been a min, if I remember right. It was around 4200 more for a ZR2 with tech package compared to a loaded up TB. Shocks, lockers, skids, ventilated seats, camera mirror, heads up display plus a few other things were only on the ZR2. To me the 4200 for all the extra was worth it. Like anything, Figure out what options you care about, then cross shop.

To me just the shocks and a rear locker are worth a few grand extra. Not hard to spend a couple grand just on some decent shocks. I think a E locker should be an option for any 4wd. It's crazy to me that gm still only has g80s in everything. You can option a locker in a pretty basic model ford. It's crazy you can't even get a rear locker in a TB. I live in the south where it rains and we have mud, lol. Often by the time a g80 engages. You are already stuck.

You may want to do some research. I have heard there is really not much to a TB beyond the sticker. Now, that being said, my ZR2 has options on top of options. Some are comical, some don't work, and some cause conflicts with other settings. I LOVE the look and mechanics of the ZR2, but am left wondering why I spent over $80K to be constantly aggravated at 70MPH. I wonder if a 2500 LTZ would have been a better choice. Regardless, the software is not ground breaking. I do like the trailering options though. But never forget the PRICE. Holy smoke....

Thanks for Info. I do like the ZR2 better, a lot of standard stuff on it you would have to pay extra for on Trail boss, or that you can't get on it from factory. My company offers a fleet price on Chevy / GMC which looks to be 4-5K off MSRP So will be curious when I'm ready by the end of the year (Retiring early 2025) hoping things settle down price wise before Covid what that would translate into on price. I think the only really issue I have with ZR2 is how high tech it is, more to go wrong. I like the idea of the 6.2 but plan on traveling with a trailer & side x side so gas mileage is important. If it was going to pull anything I would not care with 14 mpg Currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 pulling that trailer get as low as 6 mpg with a head wind 10-11 with a tail wind.

For exact reason of trailing. I traded my 2017 Z71 6.2 with max trailering 12.500 3.42 rear end. 22 highway 14 around town. I looked at 1500 6.2 2024 ZR2 #1 dealer Ill it had window sticker of 77k. Only about 9500# on tow because of off rd suspension. Ended up with Zr2 2500 6.6 diesel. 1 sec slower in qtr. not even noticeable. Drives a lot smaller than size. Multi matic suspension really tames down 3/4 ton truck. 18,500 on the tow. I only tow around ten (not yet on this truck still breaking in motor). Imagine it will be like a air biscuit compared to 6.2 gas because 6.6 diesel make tremendous torque. 970 ft lbs. Paid 83 and added 4 k options. Bed taneu Cover. ceramic coat. Running board. Rain guards. Mud flaps. Black badging. Just being retired
I wanted hassle free 5 year 72k warranty, plus maintenance package.
Another 4 k. Had 2700 in taxes after trade in allowance. Just sharing the facts. I love this truck and feels like it was a good deal for me. Your personal preference after research will make the right call for you. I loved my 6.2 tuned engine with upgrades. Now I love my diesel. I imagine the 3 liter 401 hp diesel
Would be no slouch and return great milage. Good luck and hope you find a good fit😀

Attachments

• IMG_3543.jpeg
    IMG_3543.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 11

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back