OEM Trail Boss Exhaust Tips.....

SeaHunt

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me or educate me as to why didn't GM put the Trail Boss or AT4 rectangular exhaust tips on our ZR2 Silverado's ??? I think our trucks would have looked a lot more elegant. We are paying over 70k for a truck and I think that's the least they should have done. Yes, I know the rear bumper would have to be different with the cutouts for the tips but so what. What do Y'all think ?

Probably my least favorite design aesthetic about these trucks. A new rear bumper could have been deigned to incorporate a more integrated exhaust like the Raptor.

Some design challenges do exist because of the bumper steps and radar modules, but it was definitely possible.

I’d almost bet it was one of the cost cutting decisions on the project. Along with passive entry being omitted on the rear doors.

You can always buy a trailboss bumper and swap your goodies over. At that point, any regular Silverado catback system would fit.

Probably my least favorite design aesthetic about these trucks. A new rear bumper could have been deigned to incorporate a more integrated exhaust like the Raptor.

Some design challenges do exist because of the bumper steps and radar modules, but it was definitely possible.

I’d almost bet it was one of the cost cutting decisions on the project. Along with passive entry being omitted on the rear doors.

You can always buy a trailboss bumper and swap your goodies over. At that point, any regular Silverado catback system would fit.
ZR2 Exhaust Tips1.jpg

Can anyone please tell me or educate me as to why didn't GM put the Trail Boss or AT4 rectangular exhaust tips on our ZR2 Silverado's ??? I think our trucks would have looked a lot more elegant. We are paying over 70k for a truck and I think that's the least they should have done. Yes, I know the rear bumper would have to be different with the cutouts for the tips but so what. What do Y'all think ?
honestly, i prefer the tucked up and away "clean look"...i've done it on older silverados before they started integrated into the bumpers. the USB-C exhaust ports on the at4 look fine (although you can't stop seeing USB-C ports once you see it LOL). I believe the zr2 approach increases departure angle but like wutang said a bumper design targeted for this truck could have achieved the same departure angle i suspect.

honestly, i prefer the tucked up and away "clean look"...i've done it on older silverados before they started integrated into the bumpers. the USB-C exhaust ports on the at4 look fine (although you can't stop seeing USB-C ports once you see it LOL). I believe the zr2 approach increases departure angle but like wutang said a bumper design targeted for this truck could have achieved the same departure angle i suspect.
I don't think they are USB-C...they are HDMI :ROFLMAO:

I thought it was HDMI ports.......LOL........I didn't care for the electrical cord look.

I think the round style exhaust ports on Ram bumpers look OK. Otherwise I would go with dual sides behind the rear tires.

I added small chrome tips from Amazon and gave them about an inch of reveal. Had to do a little fab work on ends of tips to get them to clamp better. Looks ok and holding up with some minor heat discoloration.

Attachments

• 20230226_135804.jpg
    20230226_135804.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Went with half tucked up stainless tips on Borla exhaust.. Hated that the factory drivers-side tailpipe is lower than the passenger side by about a half inch, even on the AT4Xs. Must be my OCD....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831_120318_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831_120318_Gallery.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 80
Went with half tucked up stainless tips on Borla exhaust.. Hated that the factory drivers-side tailpipe is lower than the passenger side by about a half inch, even on the AT4Xs. Must be my OCD....
That half inch is an OCD nightmare for guys like us…😅

Yep, that was part of why I added my shorty tips. Barely got them even due to the bend. It was either that or the stock end was getting a haircut.

I didn’t like the look either. I tried multiple tips to try to get it the way I wanted it and ended up doing a resonator delete and having the tailpipes done exactly how I wanted them. And I like the sound much better!!😎

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 71
I didn’t like the look either. I tried multiple tips to try to get it the way I wanted it and ended up doing a resonator delete and having the tailpipes done exactly how I wanted them. And I like the sound much better!!😎
Very nice setup.

That's what I'm taking about! Dual side exits are underrated!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back