Oil specs and Warranty

44sixpack

Reaction score
I'm going after my new Bison next week and it's 600 miles home , I want to drop the oil when I get back and replace it with something better. if I can.

The spec as I understand it calls for Dexos gen 2 for the 6.2, is that correct I don't have an owners manual yet of course. Redline and Amsoil signature are what I run in most of my rigs, and they say they meet this spec. anyone know of a reason not to do it or if there would be a warranty issue?

I'm buying the extended warranty so I guess I'm only trying to help GM out wasting money on oil. but if it helps prevent problems I'm fine with it.

You may not get a manual. A lot of people say they didn't get one. They want you to download them. I got one in my 22 1500 and one in my 24 2500HD.

You get a free oil change. I'd go to the dealer and get it out of the way.

0W20 oil and AC Delco PF63 filter. Oil brands are subjective, but Walmart sells Mobil 1 for $26 for five quarts. You'll need 8 quarts. Filter is about $10.

You can check out my thread on first oil change and filter cut open. I think you could run at least 1000 miles. Then do whatever makes you feel good.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, you can download a PDF manual on chevy's website for free. I ran Castrol Edge 0w-20 in my 1500. Never had any problems or oil usage. It's Dexos Gen 3. I did my first change around 1600 miles. I did the same on my HD, but with 5w-30. It's definitely good to change it early for the first couple times. Exactly when is sort of preference. In my mind too early might be kind of a waste. Parts in a new engine are wearing in. Causes higher metal % in the oil. They aren't running break in oil like back in the day. They come loaded with full synthetic from the factory. So in my mind that break in process is slowed down and those parts take longer to wear into each other. So I tend to wait till around 1500 just to give those parts enough time for hopefully the bulk of that initial wear to happen.

Few video's online of guys doing multiple oil changes on new engines and sending the oil off. Generally those levels are elevated for the first few changes up till around 10k miles. Seems like if you change it real quick those levels are just as high on the second change.

I was surprised how silver my oil looked at 1500 miles. No way that shit could lubricate properly anymore. Filter was plenty filthy with lots of debris, but doubt it was at capacity. I think between 1000-1500 miles makes sense.

I did 1000 miles on my diesel and oil looked good. Filter didn't have as much debris. It definitely had heavier "Break In Oil". I stuck with conventional oil to aid in break in, but probably should have run that oil a little longer say 1500 to 2500 miles.

We Had a trail boss with a 6.2 we had 88k miles on it when we traded it no problems or strange noises I used the AC DELCO 0-20 oil and AC deco Filter . I think the oil may be Mobile synthetic oil at least a few years ago Mobile was the AC DELCO oil supplier the bottles are identical to mobiles bottles . That truck stayed on my Carfax account for awhile before it kicked it out the new owner took it jiffy lube so its days may be limited now LOL

I'm going after my new Bison next week and it's 600 miles home , I want to drop the oil when I get back and replace it with something better. if I can.

The spec as I understand it calls for Dexos gen 2 for the 6.2, is that correct I don't have an owners manual yet of course. Redline and Amsoil signature are what I run in most of my rigs, and they say they meet this spec. anyone know of a reason not to do it or if there would be a warranty issue?

I'm buying the extended warranty so I guess I'm only trying to help GM out wasting money on oil. but if it helps prevent problems I'm fine with it.
I got 1st oil changed by dealer (free) at about 7500 miles as recommended.

Next is due at end of 1 year or whenever computer says (close to 2% life I guess). Chevy app's help center has user manuals.

I would love to do oil 🛢️ change at home but is kinda getting boring 🥱 and recycling is boring boring.

I got 1st oil changed by dealer (free) at about 7500 miles as recommended.

Next is due at end of 1 year or whenever computer says (close to 2% life I guess). Chevy app's help center has user manuals.

I would love to do oil 🛢️ change at home but is kinda getting boring 🥱 and recycling is boring boring.
Lol, I didn't even use my free change on my last three chevys. Typically the least experienced person in the shop is who does oil changes at dealers. One of my kids friends works at a Honda dealership. Started out doing oil changes.

FWIW, you might want to to do them closer to 5k-6k. Even a chevy mechanic will tell you that. Like everyone has mentioned here. It's also a really good idea to do the first couple even earlier because of break in metals in the oil increasing engine wear.

I do my on oil. I did my first service at 1,000 miles, cut the filter open and it wasn't too bad.

The search I did said the engine required 0W- 20 , Dexos1. I read the bottle of Mobile 1 and verified that. I used a Delco filter along with 8 quarts of oil. Two 5 quart bottles at Wal - Mart, $ 25.00 each and a filter from O' Reilly, was around $6. or $8. I dump my used oil there so I try and buy some things from O' Reilly. Wal - Mart oil prices are the best I have found though. I change oil at 3,000 mile intervals, because I always have and it works. So every 4 oil changes, you will have 8 quarts left over. GM made the oil service really easy on the LS / LT engines. The plug has a gasket & an o- ring.

I do my on oil. I did my first service at 1,000 miles, cut the filter open and it wasn't too bad.

The search I did said the engine required 0W- 20 , Dexos1. I read the bottle of Mobile 1 and verified that. I used a Delco filter along with 8 quarts of oil. Two 5 quart bottles at Wal - Mart, $ 25.00 each and a filter from O' Reilly, was around $6. or $8. I dump my used oil there so I try and buy some things from O' Reilly. Wal - Mart oil prices are the best I have found though. I change oil at 3,000 mile intervals, because I always have and it works. So every 4 oil changes, you will have 8 quarts left over. GM made the oil service really easy on the LS / LT engines. The plug has a gasket & an o- ring.
Oreilly will match Walmart pricing if you ask. Sometimes they look it up, sometimes they don't and they just ask me what it was priced. I dump my oil there too, so like to buy it from them. They just had 2.5 gallons of 15W40 diesel oil cheaper than Walmart by a couple bucks.

LOL.....I went into an O'Reilly today for some paint and oil. They wouldn't match the Walmart price. Guy looked offended that I asked. I left it sitting on the counter and walked out. Drove right to the O'Reilly by my house and they gave it to me for $27 per 5 quarts for Mobil 1 0W20. The guy I know there laughed and said that guy is always an asshole at that store.

Last edited:
LOL.....I went into an O'Reilly today for some paint and oil. They wouldn't match the Walmart price. Guy looked offended that I asked. I left it sitting on the counter and walked out. Drove right to the O'Reilly by my house and they gave it to me for $27 per 5 quarts for Mobil 1 0W20. The guy I know thete laughed and said that guys is always an asshole at that store.
LOL, that's funny! I'm glad you got the price adjusted.

Reactions: AXE
LOL, that's funny! I'm glad you got the price adjusted.
One thing he told me was they were only supposed to match prices at other auto parts stores. However, they can give discounts at their discretion, but are only supposed to drop it to "emplyoee prices"! He said that usually isn't much on premium products like Mobil 1. I'll take it as long as I can get it.

1st Change at 1500 and then every 2000-2500 like clock work. Mobile 1 extended full synthetic with full synthetic Lucas oil treatment on every change. AC Delco filters Everytime. Engine Air filter every 3rd change and cabin every 5 changes. Coming up on 17k and runs like a rock. Love my 22 ZR2.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back