Rear Bumper Swap

DFWZR2

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this since the ZR2 was initially unveiled - I want the exhaust to exit through the rear bumper, like on the Trail Boss, so I can equip the truck with Borla dual tips on either side. Has anyone attempted this? What do y'all think?

The bumpers are exactly the same so I don't see why you can't. But for me, I don't see the point. I like that there is more "clearance" without the exhaust cutout.

I've been thinking about this since the ZR2 was initially unveiled - I want the exhaust to exit through the rear bumper, like on the Trail Boss, so I can equip the truck with Borla dual tips on either side. Has anyone attempted this? What do y'all think?
It’s a direct bolt on. It’s been one of my ideas as well. But it’s a pricey swap once you buy the bumper step pad and have it painted.

Around 2 grand.

Why not look at something like this?

ZR2 Exhaust Tips1.jpg

I'd probably join a few different Facebook groups for chevy silverados and look for a take off that someone is looking to sell. I would imagine it would be pretty pricey to buy a new OEM bumper.

Personally I like the exhaust tucked up under the bed. People buy pretty tips to try and make the exhaust pipes sticking out look better. Just not having them stick out in the first place seems like a better option to me. I diffenitly would have them hanging down below the bumper. Even if you don't care about ground clearance the next guy might when you go to sell it.

AWE offers both options. I initially thought I wanted the Bashguard tips but the AWE ZR2 with the quad exhaust really grew on me and I went with that. Definitely, a little louder than I was expecting but it's not obnoxious and there is no drone. Cruising speeds it's just fine. Cold start is just like my C8 until it idles down, which is usually less than a minute. Highly efficient 3" mandrel bent, true dual exhaust with 304L SS. Top quality!

https://awe-tuning.com/products/awe...ra-at4x?p=1&s=best_match&seed=651050&iuf=true

Screenshot 2023-02-27 082941.jpg

Last edited:
AWE offers both options. I initially thought I wanted the Bashguard tips but the AWE ZR2 with the quad exhaust really grew on me and I went with that. Definitely, a little louder than I was expecting but it's not obnoxious and there is no drone. Cruising speeds it's just fine. Cold start is just like my C8 until it idles down, which is usually less than a minute. Highly efficient 3" mandrel bent, true dual exhaust with 304L SS. Top quality!

https://awe-tuning.com/products/awe...ra-at4x?p=1&s=best_match&seed=651050&iuf=true

View attachment 1948
That looks really sharp!!

View attachment 1948
I have the same system and agree with all you said. Its an amazing sound! Glad I bought AWE!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back