Silverado Seats: Help!

JPZR2

Reaction score
So I have a deal ready to go tomorrow on an awesome duramax in slate grey. Love the capabilities and the look.

BUT

Setup: I drive 40k+ miles a year. Long multi-day journeys are frequent—10 hour drive days. I’m 6’0” and 190. In good shape. 50 something.

Issue: I’ve read many complaints about seat comfort. This perhaps should be a deal breaker for me!?! I’m leaning against the purchase.

I did a 20 mile test drive. I did notice when setting up the seats that they weren’t the most comfortable and to some effort to get position dialed. Didn’t have long enough on the highway to get a feel for long drive comfort.

Please tell me—do the seats on long drives make you regretful?

Long drive comfort is a major requirement for me. Is the Silverado ZR2 the wrong truck for me?

It’s all relative, some folks like them and others hate them. They are very firm with a bit more padding/bolstering in the zr2 vs standard Silverado.

I am in my second 1500 zr2 (got the 3.0 when I came out for mileage and more importantly the range on a tank) and they are uncomfortable seats, at least initially. Mine broke in (or my butt finally got numb) but they do get more comfortable. I have buddies with new Silverado / Sierras and most of them agree, you gotta break them in. I honestly don’t understand the GM logic here.

I have a 2005 2500HD LTZ and a 2016 2500 Denali and both of those seats are like lazy boys in comparison. I have put nearly 400k combined on both trucks and the current seats aren’t nearly as comfortable IMHO.

Reactions: AXE
So I have a deal ready to go tomorrow on an awesome duramax in slate grey. Love the capabilities and the look.

BUT

Setup: I drive 40k+ miles a year. Long multi-day journeys are frequent—10 hour drive days. I’m 6’0” and 190. In good shape. 50 something.

Issue: I’ve read many complaints about seat comfort. This perhaps should be a deal breaker for me!?! I’m leaning against the purchase.

I did a 20 mile test drive. I did notice when setting up the seats that they weren’t the most comfortable and to some effort to get position dialed. Didn’t have long enough on the highway to get a feel for long drive comfort.

Long drive comfort is a major requirement for me. Is the Silverado ZR2 the wrong truck for me?
They are firm but I do not find them uncomfortable. If you are going for plush, buy the Sierra.

BUT

longest i drove was 4 hours. i found that setting bolster at max for my back was key. im 6 foot and my normal height and distance from pedals remained at almost max distance. comfort is subjective. gotta go with your gut.

Reactions: AXE
I’m thinking I can work with the seat with a purple pad, if needed. Those look great.

Other than the seats., feedback request: how’s the interstate ride quality of the ZR2?

I’m thinking I can work with the seat with a purple pad, if needed. Those look great.

Other than the seats., feedback request: how’s the interstate ride quality of the ZR2
imo, like my denali 1500. road quality does matter but dssv suspension on blacktop is cush!!! i love it.

I just did a 4K mile round trip including two 1500 mile 2.5 day runs where I was in the seat for 8-10 hours. Never once thought the seats were uncomfortable. I can do 12 hours, but nowadays I'm just tired of driving around 10, so that's what I do.

This truck is the best truck I've ridden in and the suspension alone makes it easy to drive for hours.

My wife has a 2023 Tahoe High Country. The leather is softer on the seats and looks way better than the ZR2s. I believe GM may have done that intentionally to make the ZR2 seats more durable and supportive for off roading. Otherwise, they are the same design and features. I've only driven the Tahoe on about 3.5 hour trip and never thought twice about comfort.

Maybe a High Country package would be a better choice. They come with the magnetic ride suspension, which I've had in a couple Tahoes, and they ride great.

FWIW, GM hasn't made a great seat since 2007.5. The 2007 to 2013 were the worst ever.

Last edited:

Other than the seats., feedback request: how’s the interstate ride quality of the ZR2?
I’ve used the Purple pad during break in phase. It helps.

Like I said though, it’s all a personal preference…some will say they are fine, others won’t.

BUT

I picked the ZR2 over the Raptor due to my preference for looks. The Raptor was definitely more comfortable. My longest run has been 6 hours and I have no issues with the seat comfort level. They are a bit on the firm side, so if you need cushy, better to go with another model or buy a seat cushion.

I really think it's a personal preference thing. I was concerned also by youtube videos saying the seats were either uncomfortable or just ok at best. I don't drive 10 hours a day normally or anything, but I put 20k on mine in a year. Included in that was a few longer trips. Seats feel good to me 🤷. Heck I've slept in mine before and I've spent a ton of time sitting in it waiting on kids out of practice, ect.

I've had some long drives and never found the seats to be an issue. 20hrs on the way to Florida, even slept in the seat for a few minutes at a rest stop. I found small adjustments as you go sometimes helps.

I've had some long drives and never found the seats to be an issue. 20hrs on the way to Florida, even slept in the seat for a few minutes at a rest stop. I found small adjustments as you go sometimes helps.
I do that often on long drives. Sometimes my back is literally at 90 degrees forcing me not to slouch and keeping me from getting tight. Also, throw on a set of compression socks and you'll thank me later.

BUT

In a week I drive a thousand miles. I find it comfortable. I’m 6’3’’. I like the thigh support it has and you sit higher. My choice before the zr2 was the tundra. Unless you get the platinum version of the tundra the base seats aren’t good. Overall I’m happy with the comfort.

Most Member Reactions

Back