Squirrel in the engine bay?

BG'sZee

Reaction score
Hello all - anyone notice a chirping / squeak sound from the passenger-side engine bay?
It happens just after cold start - as RPMs drop through 1500 to 1300 range, goes away at normal idle.
Also happens as the engine starts up after AutoStop - for just a second or so, again goes away at idle.
And when driving around with RPMs between 1300-1500, I can hear the chirp/squeak.
I've got the 23 ZR2 - I'm thinking of dropping a round of buckshot into the lower corner to kill that little f'n squirrel...
(btw, that burning brake smell finally went away after about 800 miles!..)

Hello all - anyone notice a chirping / squeak sound from the passenger-side engine bay?
It happens just after cold start - as RPMs drop through 1500 to 1300 range, goes away at normal idle.
Also happens as the engine starts up after AutoStop - for just a second or so, again goes away at idle.
And when driving around with RPMs between 1300-1500, I can hear the chirp/squeak.
I've got the 23 ZR2 - I'm thinking of dropping a round of buckshot into the lower corner to kill that little f'n squirrel...
I have a similar squeak, mine sounds like a loud belt pulley, going to have it checked on the first oil change. only happens on slowing to a stop and at cold start.

Air conditioning compressor? I'm not sure what side it's on, but I've heard them do that.

Also may be alternator. May be loose or out of alignment.

I have a similar squeak, mine sounds like a loud belt pulley, going to have it checked on the first oil change. only happens on slowing to a stop and at cold start.
Yeah - sounds like what I've got. Bring it over, we'll unload the Mossberg into it!
Let me know what you find at the Dealer.
Thanks

Air conditioning compressor? I'm not sure what side it's on, but I've heard them do that.

Thanks AXE, I'll check the alternator - that'd be an easy fix. AC compressor - dealer fix.

Reactions: AXE

I have tried to narrow it down, but it sounds like a pulley, as far as I can tell it’s not the alternator and it happens with or without A/C.

Will update after I get around to scheduling a service.

Yup mine does it too. Hasn't bothered me tho. But I think it might be a tensioner or something of that nature.

i was checking air pressure pass side front with engine at idle and thru wheel well i was getting a clicking sound with random frequency. it wasnt steady. guess my number is up with bad motor..lol 22zr2

i was checking air pressure pass side front with engine at idle and thru wheel well i was getting a clicking sound with random frequency. it wasnt steady. guess my number is up with bad motor..lol 22zr2
My wife's previous Tahoe (5.3L) had a bit of a tick most of the 90k miles we drove it. Occasionally, I thought it was louder or softer, but hood had to be open to really hear it much. It ran fine until I traded it. I think sometimes you just hear stuff and can't unhear it for 8 years.

My wife's previous Tahoe (5.3L) had a bit of a tick most of the 90k miles we drove it. Occasionally, I thought it was louder or softer, but hood had to be open to really hear it much. It ran fine until I traded it. I think sometimes you just hear stuff and can't unhear it for 8 years.
i hear this noise but dont care..no more L9, drive it like i stole it. no more tip toeing around the inevitable. i like this truck. what GM should do is give a nice set of ear plugs with every truck.

I had a similar problem on my 2019 Silverado LTZ 6.2L after a serpentine belt replacement at a Goodyear Auto Center. Turned out the replacement belt was not OEM. It was a Continental brand with too much stretch. I ordered an OEM belt and made them change it. OEM belts for the 6.2L were in short supply during Covid. None of the local parts houses had one. That fixed it. It was annoying as hell.

i hear this noise but dont care..no more L9, drive it like i stole it. no more tip toeing around the inevitable. i like this truck. what GM should do is give a nice set of ear plugs with every truck.
F*cking hilarious - so true, but for the "cheap expensive" ZR2 - we should get a set of noise cancelling airpods.

I have tried to narrow it down, but it sounds like a pulley, as far as I can tell it’s not the alternator and it happens with or without A/C.

Will update after I get around to scheduling a service.
Same - I tried the mechanic's stethoscope - a looong screw driver against the alternator and AC - squeak doesn't originate there. Sounds like metal on metal - like the heat shield on the exhaust manifold on my '03 Vette - just bent it up about 1/8 inch - fixed. I'll keep looking, and wait for meky's response.

Well, if you would stop working on your truck, you will have one less squirrel under the hood;)🤣

I just bought my 2023 ZR2 and have the same sound. I can hear it while driving, but if I put my ear to the front drivers side tire well, I can hear it good. It sounds like the AC compressor, but it does it when the AC isn't even on (kind of like a ticking sound a belt would make). Does not sound like a clean V8 sound. It's annoying, as I'm OCD. I did not notice this on the test drive. Bugging the shit out of me that I just spent $80,000 on a truck that sounds like this. This is day 2 of me owning the truck and I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked.

I just bought my 2023 ZR2 and have the same sound. I can hear it while driving, but if I put my ear to the front drivers side tire well, I can hear it good. It sounds like the AC compressor, but it does it when the AC isn't even on (kind of like a ticking sound a belt would make). Does not sound like a clean V8 sound. It's annoying, as I'm OCD. I did not notice this on the test drive. Bugging the shit out of me that I just spent $80,000 on a truck that sounds like this. This is day 2 of me owning the truck and I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked.
welcome...frustrating at the least. hopefully GM comes out with s few fixes. you aint alone in your issues.

i forgot to mention that alot of members installed upgraded exhaust systems and louder radios to drown out the ZR2's rattles and clanks!!!

We all have it. Some just aren't listening for it. GM is aware of it. It goes away when you disable DFM which is a PITA that I don't bother with anymore. Very pronounced on cold starts and backing out of the driveway, immediately goes away when back into D and accelerating or in L9 since DFM is turned off. DFM is a juice not worth the squeeze in my opinion, but I digress. I have a 100k warranty. I'm going to use the truck for what I bought it for and what GM says it's capable of. If the motor goes then so be it.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back