STILLEN ZR2 INTAKE

This is incorrect. The intake will void the warranty if it is the direct cause of a problem. Adding an intake will not void your warranty.
Same would be true for after market exhaust then.

Any suggestions, wanting to get more out of the V8 exhaust note. Not sure I want to spend the money on an exhaust if I can get what I’m looking for with a cold air intake.

Love my truck, but I feel it’s severely lacking in exhaust tone.

the dealer would have to prove your installation of the KN filter caused damage that they of course are not liable for. i think Magnuson Moss act addresses this. As far as exhaust concerns, GM Borla accessory is S type muffler and imo is too loud from anemic stock system. i had mine fitted with Touring muffler, one step up and sounds great.
How is the touring on startup?
Can you still listen to music without it being too loud? I’m fine with it being loud when I step on it. I also want a small reminder Im during a V8 at idle.

I agree from what I have seen, S Type way too over the top for me.

Same would be true for after market exhaust then.

Any suggestions, wanting to get more out of the V8 exhaust note. Not sure I want to spend the money on an exhaust if I can get what I’m looking for with a cold air intake.

Love my truck, but I feel it’s severely lacking in exhaust tone.
i spent $140 and let the dealer install a GM exhaust accessory. any problems, its on them.

How is the touring on startup?
Can you still listen to music without it being too loud? I’m fine with it being loud when I step on it. I also want a small reminder Im during a V8 at idle.

I agree from what I have seen, S Type way too over the top for me.
startup is a non issue. imo, its not measureable. we all have the valve on startup. gas to pass is excellent with a nice growl. if you use the paddles its sounds even better. idle is ok.

Will this void your warranty? I called GM about aftermarket K&N and they told me any aftermarket changes would void my warranty. I want a better exhaust note and thought about the K&N. I think the GM performance exhaust is too loud for my style.
I've modified everthing I've owned and have never been denied warranty.

There are plenty of applications where increasing air flow and cold air make better power. I have modified plenty of air intakes on my powersports equipment with nice gains. When you get into higher HP and more technology with modern vehicles it's a lot harder to make more power with simple mods like this.

Years ago someone did a test on the 2500HD Duramax aftermarket air box and filter setups. The stock box and filter flowed more. Then later tested the filtering capabilities and the stock filter filtered well and flowed better as it accumulated more dust.

I think tuners provide more bang for the buck. On my last Duramax, I added 25% more HP going from 415 to 525 HP using a tuner for about $700.

It's getting harder to tune because the computers are locked down and EPA sued the hell.out of a lot of tuners in the last few years. It's hard to even get a tune on a truck.in last few years.

Last edited:
Their are plenty of applications where increasing air flow and cold air make better power. I have modified plenty of air intakes on my powersports equipment with nice gains. When you get into higher HP and more technology with modern vehicles it's a lot harder to make more power with simple mods like this.

Years ago someone did a test on the 2500HD Duramax aftermarket air box and filter setups. The stock box and filter flowed more. Then later tested the filtering capabilities and the stock filter filtered well and flowed better as it accumulated more dust.

I think tuners provide more bang for the buck. On my last Duramax, I added 25% more HP going from 415 to 525 HP using a tuner for about $700.

It's getting harder to tune because the computers are locked down and EPA sued the hell.out of a lot of tuners in the last few years. It's hard to even get a tune on a truck.in last few years.
Exactly. It makes me laugh when folks want to add a CAI because they think it will make a difference in performance. It will make more noise under the hood...that's for sure, and may look pretty, but nothing more. An aftermarket CAI may actually hurt and not help as you've referenced above. Many have posted the OEM air box is excellent. I added the AirAid Jr. to clean up the looks in the engine bay and get that God awful rectangular air box monstrocity off the throttle body.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back