Tailgate Lighting - how to turn on?

dw886

Reaction score
So I added lights to the Multi-flex tailgate, and they work with the light on the tailgate that shines down onto the trailer hitch. One video that I saw said that when you unlock the doors, that tailgate light turns on - mine does not (the LEDs in the box do, but the one on the hitch doesn't), and I can't find an option in the settings to make it illuminate when the doors unlock.

I can get them to turn on by manually going into the cab and pressing the switch to turn on the box lighting, but I can't see myself going to hook up a trailer, or putting down the multi-flex, thinking "wow, lights would be nice", walking back to the cab, turning on the switch, and then walking back to the rear to either step up into the box or to finish hooking up. Is there a way to make these lights turn on with the FOB like the LED box cargo lights?

The GM Accessory tailgate step lights work off of the cargo lamps which are controlled by the interior cargo switch. I'm not exactly sure what triggers the hitch light on the tailgate but I think it's just putting the vehicle in reverse. Might be tied to the headlights and taillights being on too though.

The GM Accessory tailgate step lights work off of the cargo lamps which are controlled by the interior cargo switch. I'm not exactly sure what triggers the hitch light on the tailgate but I think it's just putting the vehicle in reverse. Might be tied to the headlights and taillights being on too though.
yeah, that's what I'm seeing - if I turn on the interior cargo switch they both turn on (tailgate step lights plus hitch light). The power for the step lights comes from the same harness that turns on the hitch light. I saw a youtube video where the guy hit the unlock button on the key fob and it turned on, but maybe it's also tied into a light sensor somewhere, I was trying it in broad daylight.

Most Member Reactions

Back