The (almost) completely lucky ZR2

Colorado

Reaction score
I've been a member here for longer than I had the truck but now that I do I figured a post here is what I'm supposed to do. This is the story of my almost completely lucky truck.

I had a build in mind. Tech package and flex gate and no running boards were the main things. I could go either way on the sunroof. I found a few dealers online that were willing to deal but none of them had the flex gate and most had the running boards added which increased the price. Then I called a local dealer and the salesman checked what they had already ordered (for their own inventory) and they had one that matched what I would have ordered exactly. They were selling at MSRP (no dealing on price) but if I compared MSRP with the deals I could get elsewhere + running boards + transport costs it came out about even. I decided to pull the trigger.

The build date was in the system as the week of Dec 5. As that week approached the shutdown announcement came out and I was sure I wouldn't see the truck in Dec. That would mean I wouldn't be able to use the Costco rebate. I called the dealer to confirm and he checked the system and ... the truck had been built early and was already on a train headed north. I've never heard of a vehicle being built ahead of schedule even in the prepandemic world let alone after.

The truck even arrived ahead of schedule by train then truck transport. I should have known something would have to ruin the streak of good luck. When the dealer tested / prepped the truck the computer indicated that two of the fuel injectors came from the factory throwing codes. (The truck had 3 miles on it.) I was sure with supply chain issues finding injectors would be a nightmare. Only to have the good luck return. New injectors arrived within 4 days and I was able to take delivery shortly after.

So far I love it. None of the issue people here have complained about. I get about 20 MPG going downhill on the highway and 16 MPG on the way up. (Commutes in Colorado often can be all uphill one way and all downhill the way back.) It snowed 16-20 inches while I was away so I couldn't plow the driveway. The truck was able to push through the snow with relative ease--the lockers helped a ton. My only real complaint is having to remember to hit the no stop engine at a red light button. Once I am off warranty I'll look to disable that via computer or device.

zr2.jpg

I've been a member here for longer than I had the truck but now that I do I figured a post here is what I'm supposed to do. This is the story of my almost completely lucky truck.

I had a build in mind. Tech package and flex gate and no running boards were the main things. I could go either way on the sunroof. I found a few dealers online that were willing to deal but none of them had the flex gate and most had the running boards added which increased the price. Then I called a local dealer and the salesman checked what they had already ordered (for their own inventory) and they had one that matched what I would have ordered exactly. They were selling at MSRP (no dealing on price) but if I compared MSRP with the deals I could get elsewhere + running boards + transport costs it came out about even. I decided to pull the trigger.

The build date was in the system as the week of Dec 5. As that week approached the shutdown announcement came out and I was sure I wouldn't see the truck in Dec. That would mean I wouldn't be able to use the Costco rebate. I called the dealer to confirm and he checked the system and ... the truck had been built early and was already on a train headed north. I've never heard of a vehicle being built ahead of schedule even in the prepandemic world let alone after.

The truck even arrived ahead of schedule by train then truck transport. I should have known something would have to ruin the streak of good luck. When the dealer tested / prepped the truck the computer indicated that two of the fuel injectors came from the factory throwing codes. (The truck had 3 miles on it.) I was sure with supply chain issues finding injectors would be a nightmare. Only to have the good luck return. New injectors arrived within 4 days and I was able to take delivery shortly after.

So far I love it. None of the issue people here have complained about. I get about 20 MPG going downhill on the highway and 16 MPG on the way up. (Commutes in Colorado often can be all uphill one way and all downhill the way back.) It snowed 16-20 inches while I was away so I couldn't plow the driveway. The truck was able to push through the snow with relative ease--the lockers helped a ton. My only real complaint is having to remember to hit the no stop engine at a red light button. Once I am off warranty I'll look to disable that via computer or device.

View attachment 1511
You want this. 5-10 minute install and super easy to remove if needed. I have one and it's AWESOME!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back