Tonneau Cover for ZR2

Bowtie1

Reaction score
Hey All, just wanted to ask if anyone has purchased a fully retractable tonneau cover that doesn't cover the stake bed holes?

I don't think you will find one that doesn't block the stake pockets. If your wanting them for a rack. You can get covers that have a T track on the rails to accommodate racks and accessories. I have a Retrax Pro and a bed rack installed on it.

I don't think you will find one that doesn't block the stake pockets. If your wanting them for a rack. You can get covers that have a T track on the rails to accommodate racks and accessories. I have a Retrax Pro and a bed rack installed on it.
I have the same tonneau, have you bought any accessories for the t-slots? If so, got any recommendations? Retrax advertises a few brands, but was wondering if there is support beyond the recommendations.

I wouldn’t recommend the Retrax pro. I have one that leaks like a sieve. Have replaced cannister, side rails, have the proper slope away from be on rails, and only the middle 1/3 stays dry if I’m lucky when it rains. The $300 vinyl roll up was much better than the 2k retrax. They will send you new parts, but no discount to take off and re-install the cover 3 times and still leaks.

I wouldn’t recommend the Retrax pro. I have one that leaks like a sieve. Have replaced cannister, side rails, have the proper slope away from be on rails, and only the middle 1/3 stays dry if I’m lucky when it rains. The $300 vinyl roll up was much better than the 2k retrax. They will send you new parts, but no discount to take off and re-install the cover 3 times and still leaks.
I have had three Retrax units on different trucks. Installed them all myself. Never an issue with leaking at all. I highly recommend them as they are the best retractable cover money can by IMPO.

I have had three Retrax units on different trucks. Installed them all myself. Never an issue with leaking at all. I highly recommend them as they are the best retractable cover money can by IMPO.
Mine has little to no leaking. I did however take a considerable amount of time doing the installation myself, made tweaks till I thought it sat perfect on the truck bed.

I have the same tonneau, have you bought any accessories for the t-slots? If so, got any recommendations? Retrax advertises a few brands, but was wondering if there is support beyond the recommendations.
I have a Yakima HD rack on mine. I've had it on there since the day after I purchased the truck last year. The T-slot is pretty standard. You can actually buy bolts and nuts on amazon to mount what ever you want. The same type of T-slot is all over my bed rack also. I haven't really added anything else to my bed cover other than the rack. Rhino rack stuff also fits the Yakima stuff. I do think there are two sizes of T-slot out there. But i'm not sure exactly what all companies use what. I know my rack came with two different size square nuts to work with different bed covers. Same time though if you do buy something with the wrong size square nuts. You can just buy the right ones on amazon or ebay pretty cheap. If you do a search for bed rack accessories.

Here is what the rack looks like mounted to the Rail. It looks good. I've had guys come up to me in parking lots asking me what cover and rack is it. I had one guy sitting in his truck at lowes waiting on me to come back to my truck to ask me, lol.
20220907_215534.jpg

I have a Yakima HD rack on mine. I've had it on there since the day after I purchased the truck last year. The T-slot is pretty standard. You can actually buy bolts and nuts on amazon to mount what ever you want. The same type of T-slot is all over my bed rack also. I haven't really added anything else to my bed cover other than the rack. Rhino rack stuff also fits the Yakima stuff. I do think there are two sizes of T-slot out there. But i'm not sure exactly what all companies use what. I know my rack came with two different size square nuts to work with different bed covers. Same time though if you do buy something with the wrong size square nuts. You can just buy the right ones on amazon or ebay pretty cheap. If you do a search for bed rack accessories.

Here is what the rack looks like mounted to the Rail. It looks good. I've had guys come up to me in parking lots asking me what cover and rack is it. I had one guy sitting in his truck at lowes waiting on me to come back to my truck to ask me, lol.
View attachment 5999
Awesome, I appreciate the response. I guess I have some shopping to do. That rack does look good!

Awesome, I appreciate the response. I guess I have some shopping to do. That rack does look good!
Np. I do really like it, But I went with it mainly because I have a 7' garage door. Yakima rack is adjustable with a track system. So you can raise and lower it to the exact height you want. One of the few I found that would allow you to get it above the cab\camera mirror, But not put it way up above the cab. Mine sits just above the cab enough for ladders, Kayaks, ect to hang over the cab with out touching. But still low enough to clear the garage door. Some adjust with bolt holes and they only have 2 or 3 positions. If you have the camera mirror or height restrictions. You might run into a problem with those.

Thanks to all for responses, Ill continue to research based on your reconditions. Ill let you know what I settle on.

View attachment 5999
8ball......do you have the RetraxPRO XR?

8ball......do you have the RetraxPRO XR?
Yes, The RetraxPro MX doesn't have the T-slot. But is the same cover other wise. The RetraxOne XR has the rail but the cover is plastic vs the Aluminum that's on the PRO. FWIW my uncle had a RetraxOne MX on his GMC for years and never had a problem with the plastic. I just think the aluminum looks better. Especially with a rack on it.

Yes, The RetraxPro MX doesn't have the T-slot. But is the same cover other wise. The RetraxOne XR has the rail but the cover is plastic vs the Aluminum that's on the PRO. FWIW my uncle had a RetraxOne MX on his GMC for years and never had a problem with the plastic. I just think the aluminum looks better. Especially with a rack on it.
Thank you. I seen Pro in a showroom. I agree that the aluminum looks better. Pricier but better. FWIW I'll probably go with the PRO and the YAK Rack (for kayaks). I like the way yours looks. But dam I'm not gonna like biting the bullet for the cost of the Pro with the racks. It is what it is. Thanks again.

Thank you. I seen Pro in a showroom. I agree that the aluminum looks better. Pricier but better. FWIW I'll probably go with the PRO and the YAK Rack (for kayaks). I like the way yours looks. But dam I'm not gonna like biting the bullet for the cost of the Pro with the racks. It is what it is. Thanks again.
I know what you mean. I actually purchased my rack first and had it on my old truck. I bought the pieces from different sellers on amazon and ebay. Then, while I was waiting on my ZR2. I decided on the Retrax Pro. Actually bought it before I got my truck because realtruck ran them on sale. I called them to make sure I was picking the right cover. I was worried about fit because, I figured the return window would close before I could actually install it. Worked out because they knocked more off of the price over the phone with out me asking. I confirmed what cover I needed and told them I would just order it on their site a little later. He offered to knock like another 50 off if I went a head and placed the order over the phone. Even still, It's not a cheap combo. Does work well though, and they look like they were made together. Even the finish is the same on both.

Just a heads up, If you are actually going to haul Kayaks. You might want to change the wear strip. The top rails have a strip in the slot to protect the rails and what your hauling. I'm not sure what comes with what. My top rails came with like a hard plastic wear strip. I didn't even know they made different ones, But I ordered some replacement strips just to put on the under side of the rails. The replacement wear strip I got was a thicker rubber strip. It works way better for kayaks. I ended up using it on the top of the rails and I used my old plastic strips on the bottom. The plastic strips are very low profile and slick. Probably better for ladders and wood, ect, cause stuff slides easily. The rubber is thicker and softer. Offers some padding and grips better. With the plastic rail our boats would slide on them like ice. No big deal unless your loading while on a hill or off camber, lol. The rubber holds them better, so they don't try to slide off as soon as you take the strap off. I'm sure it also helps hold them while driving. Down side is stuff doesn't slide on the rubber. So when you load other stuff up there, you can't just slide it in place. After using both for a while, I'd never go back to the plastic wear strips.

I have the Roll-N-Lock XT track with the T tracks, real happy with it so far. For racks I plan to run one single Yakima rack on the back and one low profile on the cab (if I find the right one). I like the T Track option since you can swap out any racks and also other caring options. As you can see there is still sees to the stake bed holes if you wanted to run rails.

Attachments

• tempImage8q2hlR.png
    tempImage8q2hlR.png
    955.2 KB · Views: 30

Most Member Reactions

Back