Trailer brake recall

I don't know about the recall, But a lot of us with 22s had a problem where anytime we plugged in a trailer and tried the brakes. We would get a message that said check trailer wiring, Trailer braking disabled. Basically the brake controller didn't work. My dealer fixed mine by replacing the switch. Several months later a service bulletin came out telling dealers what part to change if a vehicle came in with that problem. My guess is you have a truck that has one of those defected controllers in it. GM, by now has probably figured out exactly what production dates are effected and have a recall for them. It's a good thing and you should definitely take it in and have it done. If you have a bad it one, You pretty much have no brake controller cause it will turn it's self off when you try to use the trailer brakes.

Ok thanks. I think my dealer said he had to order the part to replace it so I didn't know if this was a very common problem. I also have the DRL recall but dont mind all my lights being on at the same time so I've been putting it off

Ok thanks. I think my dealer said he had to order the part to replace it so I didn't know if this was a very common problem. I also have the DRL recall but dont mind all my lights being on at the same time so I've been putting it off
I'm about 99% sure the DRL recall was done OTA update. It was a recall for the dealer at first. But several months later they fixed it through a OTA update. I got the recall in the mail. I also never took mine in. But on one of my updates, the DRL fix was in the update notes.

Yeah that's why I said you should go ahead and do it. Even if you don't tow right now. If you go to use it, it won't work. Good chance the parts will have to be ordered anytime. So you could find yourself in a spot with no trailer brakes and no way to get them fixed for who knows how long. Better to deal with it when you don't need it. Besides even if it's something you will never use. We all paid for a integrated brake controller. It should have a working one!

I'll have to check my DRL's. The recall still shows up in my phone app in the OnStar emails.

I wonder what the procedure is to replace the brake switch. If they have to remove the bolster panel to do it, I should get them to replace the bolster panel with one that has the upfitter switches in it... hmm

I'll have to check my DRL's. The recall still shows up in my phone app in the OnStar emails.

I wonder what the procedure is to replace the brake switch. If they have to remove the bolster panel to do it, I should get them to replace the bolster panel with one that has the upfitter switches in it... hmm
It's different on the refreshed trucks. I actually have a post on upfitter switches floating around here. The bolster precut for the switches doesn't fit our trucks. Well unless a new one has came out that I don't know about. Upfitter switches can be mounted in the center below the climate control. There is a different switch and different wire harness now that works with our trucks along with a little bit of your own wiring. But yes they do have to remove that section of dash to replace the switch. Fuse panel sides of the center console along with the lower dash panel. It's actually pretty easy to do. I can take mine apart in about 10 mins with a plastic prybar and 7mm socket, lol

Here is that thread on the switches. https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/upfitter-switches.345/

I had the switch replaced by the dealer and next time I hooked up a trailer, same problem.
Still don't have it working and I tow heavy. Starting to annoy me.
Gonna have to take it in again one more time to do the trailer brake and the DIC while I'm there.

I had the switch replaced by the dealer and next time I hooked up a trailer, same problem.
Still don't have it working and I tow heavy. Starting to annoy me.
Gonna have to take it in again one more time to do the trailer brake and the DIC while I'm there.
how long did it take...dealer told me 3 hours.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back