Ughh………

Stacy T.

Founding Member
Reaction score
Well these faulty engine parts got me. Yesterday I was leaving my hunting land and notice my truck sounded funny, sorta a helicopter noise not really knocking sound. When I got to within a mile of my house the truck shut off. I coasted into my neighborhood and rolled to a stop. Truck went into park. Tried to restart. It started back up, not easily, then shut right back off. I waited a few minutes and tried it again. This time it started normally and I made it the 3 or 4 hundred yards I needed to reach my driveway. When I pulled in it gave me a low oil pressure warning and to shut truck off immediately. Oil level is fine. I think I got crankshaft bearing issues. Haven’t even went out to look at it this morning. Really disappointed, I really like this truck and was hoping I’d dodge these engine issues. I’ll contact the dealer tomorrow, but I’m guessing a new motor coming at only 14000 miles. Anyone figured out how to get these trucks out of park?

You can't get them out of park with out starting the engine. Which is crazy. There is a dealer tool to do it from underneath. But it's not easy to do from what I understand. Just have it towed to your dealer and make sure the tow truck driver doesn't just drag it on.

On the plus side, It could be a lot of different things. I've seen posts with bad injectors that caused similar systems. Really won't know until the dealer checks it out. Hopefully it's nothing major. Pretty sure most people who had lifters or Main bearing failures weren't able to restart the truck at all.

Just went out and rechecked oil level it’s good. The truck restarted this morning with no warning lights or anything. Oil pressure is good, just a very rough idle. Another issue……now the hood will not latch.

Just went out and rechecked oil level it’s good. The truck restarted this morning with no warning lights or anything. Oil pressure is good, just a very rough idle. Another issue……now the hood will not latch.
That's crazy! Keep us all posted on what the dealer finds.

Grab a cheap (or expensive) OBD2 Bluetooth dongle off Amazon and log fuel, oil pressure, etc when you're driving. You can export all the data from the app into a spreadsheet (You'll have to pay the $5 instead of the free version I imagine or just purchase a good one). Gives you a great look into everything that's going on; that's half the battle most times. You might have a pending code already if a system check failed.

Yep, get it towed to dealer.

I thought someone had posted the magic formula to get it onto neutral when disabled.

You can always pull the drive shaft to get it to freewheel.

Yep, get it towed to dealer.

I thought someone had posted the magic formula to get it onto neutral when disabled.

You can always pull the drive shaft to get it to freewheel.
I remember a dealer put up a video on how to disable everything for towing. Dropped the transfer case into neutral and all that.

Well my truck has been at dealer for over a week. They just told me it’s looking like it needs a new engine. Said they had to wait on GM to tell them how to proceed. Didn’t even tell me the reason for failure. Anyone have any suggestions on how to possibly speed the process up? Going to ride over to dealership Saturday and try and get a loaner, but not really expecting this dealer to try and help me out with a loaner. Don’t think I’ll keep the truck much longer. More than likely will trade for AT4 with the diesel.

Well my truck has been at dealer for over a week. They just told me it’s looking like it needs a new engine. Said they had to wait on GM to tell them how to proceed. Didn’t even tell me the reason for failure. Anyone have any suggestions on how to possibly speed the process up? Going to ride over to dealership Saturday and try and get a loaner, but not really expecting this dealer to try and help me out with a loaner. Don’t think I’ll keep the truck much longer. More than likely will trade for AT4 with the diesel.
I would start negotiating a trade right now. There's a dealer out there that will give you full market value for that truck. Inventory is building and dealers are gonna be hungry.

I would start negotiating a trade right now. There's a dealer out there that will give you full market value for that truck. Inventory is building and dealers are gonna be hungry.
Problem is inventory is building so trade in value is in the crapper.. Last I looked my old 1500 ZR2 trade in was 52k. It dropped from 65k in 3 months, lol.

I don't blame you, the failure % is supposed to be low. But it seems to common for my liking. I'm on a few different groups on Facebook including AT4 groups. 6.2s are dropping like flies from lifters or main bearings. One of the main reasons I went to a HD with a 6.6 gasser. No DFM in those.

Problem is inventory is building so trade in value is in the crapper.. Last I looked my old 1500 ZR2 trade in was 52k. It dropped from 65k in 3 months, lol.
Used prices around here still seem solid. Not sure what they are actually selling for, but people seem to be spending freely around here.

Camper and RV prices are dropping nicely though. Might have to get a new one.

Last edited:
Used prices around here still seem solid. Not sure what they are actually selling for, but people seem to be spending freely around here.

Camper and RV prices are doing nicely though. Might have to get a new one.
I'd check KBB. It does seem to have settled down a little. I tried a few different zip codes when I was shopping for a HD. Pretty much any dealer I called I plugged their zip code in to get average trade in for their area. They were bad everywhere, But I was only searching in a 5-600 mile area. I got quotes from several dealers and carmax. None of them were good. I would have been better off trading back in October when KBB was showing 65k. I couldn't find a HD with any discount and most wanted over MSRP or wanted me to purchase an extended warranty. So I waited, Didn't really matter. For how much trade value dropped, getting money off on the HD and no extended warranty didn't make up for it. I traded for 56k and I got 1,500 off on the HD. Might as well have paid MSRP and bought a warranty 3 months ago when my trade was worth 9k more, lol. I just didn't expect it to drop so fast. Usually they take a hit right at the start and then they kind of hold for a couple years especially if they are still under bumper to bumper warranty.

I think $56 doesn't seem too bad. I never believed the prices that were still showing mid 60s for 22s. This one popped up on my phone the other day. If they are selling it for this price, probably acquired it for less. So low $50s could be a reality.

The main reason my last 2 trucks have been the babyMax, no DFM, and the mileage is a huge bonus! My last fill the DIC said 557 miles range, and while not completely accurate since it is based on current MPG's the computer sees it isn't too far off either, especially if I am not pushing 70+ on the highway.

I think $56 doesn't seem too bad. I never believed the prices that were still showing mid 60s for 22s. This one popped up on my phone the other day. If they are selling it for this price, probably acquired it for less. So low $50s could be a reality.

56k was the highest I could find. Everyone was 50-56k. Didn't really surprise me because all the dealers are selling 1/2 ton at supplier pricing for everyone and GM had a large rebate or special financing on left over 23s. Pretty sure that's what caused the sudden dip on black book value.

56k was the highest I could find. Everyone was 50-56k. Didn't really surprise me because all the dealers are selling 1/2 ton at supplier pricing for everyone and GM had a large rebate or special financing on left over 23s. Pretty sure that's what caused the sudden dip on black book value.
im curious...in earlier post, you mentioned making sure tow truck doesnt drag truck. how does he get it if he cant tow from the rear? thanks.

im curious...in earlier post, you mentioned making sure tow truck doesnt drag truck. how does he get it if he cant tow from the rear? thanks.
Skates or dollies. Or they just drag it. It's a dumb design not to have a manual release somewhere. Especially for a truck that has a decent amount of lifter and main bearing failures, lol.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back