What Kind of Audio Upgrades Have You Done?

Jdifranco13

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a while now since people have had their ZR2's. I'm curious to see what kind of upgrades you have done to the stereo (besides the kicker sub). New speakers? Amps? Anything?

Hey all,

Been a while now since people have had their ZR2's. I'm curious to see what kind of upgrades you have done to the stereo (besides the kicker sub). New speakers? Amps? Anything?
Local shop installed kicker amp/speakers. Sounds a ton better. I believe it was around $1400.

I did the following:

- kicker sub (first model not the newest option. Got the volume knob with it as well. I spliced into the actual sub wire in the harness at the rear passenger door instead of the wire the instructions say to use

- kicker 46CSC6934, kicker 47CSC6934 and kicker 47KSC2794 replacement speakers throughout the cab

Overall found it was with the upgrade. Sub makes the biggest difference imo and worth doing that at a minimum

I just picked my truck up a little over a moth ago, and I'm in the process of getting everything together to upgrade the whole thing, other than the "head unit".

I have the amp rack installed, and I'll be installing the amps and speakers that I had in my '18 Silverado, but I have to get a few things like speaker wire, terminals, etc... Thankfully the power wire will work in the Z, because those big wires are expensive.

The system sounded great in the old truck, but I had the direct fit Alpine head unit so I have to use a processor to integrate it to the stock system, and cross my fingers it sounds as good.

I just picked my truck up a little over a moth ago, and I'm in the process of getting everything together to upgrade the whole thing, other than the "head unit".

I have the amp rack installed, and I'll be installing the amps and speakers that I had in my '18 Silverado, but I have to get a few things like speaker wire, terminals, etc... Thankfully the power wire will work in the Z, because those big wires are expensive.

The system sounded great in the old truck, but I had the direct fit Alpine head unit so I have to use a processor to integrate it to the stock system, and cross my fingers it sounds as good.
Nice! I had the kicker sub installed when I bought the truck, I just haven't messed with the amp/switches to turn the bass up yet. I would definitely love to replace the speakers and add an amp to get some more volume and better sound, just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I did the following:

- kicker sub (first model not the newest option. Got the volume knob with it as well. I spliced into the actual sub wire in the harness at the rear passenger door instead of the wire the instructions say to use

- kicker 46CSC6934, kicker 47CSC6934 and kicker 47KSC2794 replacement speakers throughout the cab

Overall found it was with the upgrade. Sub makes the biggest difference imo and worth doing that at a minimum
So let me ask you this, cause I'm a little uneducated when it comes to this stuff and i've never done any custom stereo work... The speakers in the front door are 6x9? Would other sizes fit? Also, I guess those dash speakers are mid-range and not tweeters?

So let me ask you this, cause I'm a little uneducated when it comes to this stuff and i've never done any custom stereo work... The speakers in the front door are 6x9? Would other sizes fit? Also, I guess those dash speakers are mid-range and not tweeters?
6x9's in front, you can put 6.75 or smaller in with adapters. 6.5/6.75 are most common. 6x9's also require an adapter. Any smaller than 6.5/6.75 and you'll lose a some mid bass. Speakers in dash are indeed midrange, not tweeters.

If you go to crutchfield, you can input your year/make/model and look for speakers, and it will list what fits (that they carry, there will be other brands that fit from other sites). Technically there is a limit on how deep they can be, but the adapters are so deep that is rarely an issue.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back