Who's upgrading to the HD ZR2?

That was my dream truck back in the day! We would walk the dealer lots and I would drool over that and the ZR2 Blazer.
I shit you not, I was driving by the dealer and they had that yellow truck up on one of those elevated display racks. I was driving a stripped down S10 4x4 that was my first new truck. I damn near rolled my old S10 turning the corner into the dealer trying to get a better look at it. MSRP was $27kish and they sold it to me for $24kish. I was happier than pigs in shit!

I paid $8800 for my fist new 1987 S10 that didn't even have air conditioning. Added it later for $700. Drove it for 10 years. If you had a stiff headwind, you couldn't pass anyone cause it was a wimpy 4 cylinder.......LOL

Last edited:
For me, it will all depend on the price differential. I will either go with a Diesel ZR2 1500 or the Diesel HD ZR2. I don't need an HD truck either...but what the hell, you only live once ;) Interestingly enough, I have thought about the Colorado too, but I don't think it will meet my future towing needs. I need at least 8000# to be comfortable.
20 grand more would probably be a good starting point to approximate.

It will be 10 grand more then whatever the HC starts at.

20 grand more would probably be a good starting point to approximate.

It will be 10 grand more then whatever the HC starts at.
We will see...I would buy at Supplier Pricing and nothing more regardless of what truck it is. Will be looking for updates on the forum regarding pricing once released.

For me, I was planning to buy 2023 Colorado ZR2 or GMC Canyon AT4X, but, impulsively bought 2022 Silverado ZR2 :cool:, thinking, why wait for another few months.😃

Also, I doubt HD will fit in my garage like my 2022 1500 ZR2. Outside, it is an open invitation for thieves.

Certainly can't afford it once converted to CDN Monopoly money. I'd rather have the Hummer truck.

Reactions: AXE
Not me. I came from a 6.6 Duramax. They are good if you tow a lot. Which I use too. But all the emissions crap kills them. A delete on the 19-23 trucks is around 9k. I'm not even sure you will be able to delete the 24 refreshed HDs. Well I'm sure sooner or later you can. Duramax HDs are slower heavier, take 3 gallons of oil and 45 dollar fuel filters. Diesel fuel tends to run around a dollar more also. Off road they actually suck pretty hard also. My truck was slightly lifted and I kept aggressive tires on it. They are so dang heavy though, they just sink. I got mine stuck a bunch of times. Once so bad it took a rollback with a 15k winch to pull it out. Don't get me wrong, They are great trucks for heavy pulling and hauling, which is what they are built for. When it comes to literally everything else not so much. lol

My guess is the 6.6 Duramax ZR2 is going to be priced around 95k. I mean the 1500s msrp for what 77k now? The 24 GMC 2500 AT4s are already out. They are around 87k decently equipped. ZR2 will be more. No way you go to a HD duramax ZR2 for 12k more then the 1500. I'll be very surprised if it ends up being upper 80s. I think it will be more like Denali prices, which are 95k range.

Another dealer I was working with landed a nice 2500 Duramax LTZ Z71 today. If I hadn't bought the ZR2, I might be dealing on this one. It's equipped with everything I like, but the multiflex tailgate.

Column shifter, like a proper rig. Notice it has auxiliary switches below main dash controls. Half ass chrome bumper, not really Pete level!

I'm now waiting for ZR2.

Attachments

• IMG_2631(3).jpg
    IMG_2631(3).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 51
Salesman got back to me and said price was $79k, so $85kish OTD. He's supposed to send me the window sticker to see what it has for equipment.

He said they just got this white one too. It only has the Custom trim package, which is kinda low rent like a basic work truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2644(1).jpg
    IMG_2644(1).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2645(1).jpg
    IMG_2645(1).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Another dealer I was working with landed a nice 2500 Duramax LTZ Z71 today. If I hadn't bought the ZR2, I might be dealing on this one. It's equipped with everything I like, but the multiflex tailgate.

Column shifter, like a proper rig. Notice it has auxiliary switches below main dash controls. Half ass chrome bumper, not really Pete level!

I'm now waiting for ZR2
Surprisingly I have really grown to love the console electric shifter. That's one thing I would miss.

I kinda hate it. Don't like reaching over it to get things from console and I seem to randomly hit the park button when making a shift.

My wife's 2023 Tahoe has the four shift buttons on the dash next to ac vent. Frees up console space and makes shifting more certain. Still not sure I like it either.

Surprisingly I have really grown to love the console electric shifter. That's one thing I would miss.
I'm kind of the same way. I hated it at first. I kept reaching for a column shifter that wasn't there, lol. But I have to say it has grown on me. Once you get use to it, it actually works well and is faster. Now when I get in my wife's car, it feels weird to have to move the shifter so far to put it in gear. I've gotten really use to just tapping the forward or back. I'm not a fan of the buttons on the dash though. With an actual shifter you don't have to look.

I think they are all electronic shift now. Even if your moving a shifter, the actual gear shifting on the transmission is done with solenoids. At least that's what I was told by a guy who manages a chevy dealership. He said the days of a mechanical linkage from the transmission into the cab are done with. I bet tow truck drivers HATE it lol.

Here's a good review with some details on pricing for a pretty well equipped LTZ Z71 for $80k MSRP. This would likely make the ZR2 option in the mid 80s if equipped like our trucks.

When I bought the ZR2, I kept my Duramax. One of my boys is now driving it because I sold his Tacoma that was starting to get a little tired. About a week after he started driving it he loaded up the race tune which is rolling about 535 HP and 1000 foot lbs of torque. I got in it to go hunting and pull my trailer and noticed it right away. I chewed his ass......damn punk kids rolling down the road in an 8000 lb rig like it's a scooter.

I see last night he had my old radar detector out. I'm sure he wasn't planning on speeding. That'll be on tonight's episode of what the hell are you doing?
thats good parenting right there!!

For me, I was planning to buy 2023 Colorado ZR2 or GMC Canyon AT4X, but, impulsively bought 2022 Silverado ZR2 :cool:, thinking, why wait for another few months.😃

Also, I doubt HD will fit in my garage like my 2022 1500 ZR2. Outside, it is an open invitation for thieves.
i cancelled my 2023 AT4 cause dealer couldnt deliver. im glad i got the ZR2.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back