2022 ZR2 to a 2024 ZR2 Bison with Diesel

Ive heard DEF can be rough when towing (although I’m not sure that’s much different than even HDs when loaded heavy), it’s really mild consumption daily driving.

I would contend this motor wasn’t designed, and definitely not the 1500 zr2, with towing in mind…it was a very distant priority on the list. I get 1500’s are used for mild towing but if you’re maxing this truck out towing on a regular basis, I’m not sure you got the right truck.
I actually never said I towed at all, but I would say that the 3.0 liter diesel is indeed built and capable of towing, huge loads all the time, no, but I know people pulling 11K confidently with them even on steep grades, the ZR2 could easily handle 6K with confidence, but yes it was not designed as a tow pig. IMHO/YMMV

I actually never said I towed at all, but I would say that the 3.0 liter diesel is indeed built and capable of towing, huge loads all the time, no, but I know people pulling 11K confidently with them even on steep grades, the ZR2 could easily handle 6K with confidence, but yes it was not designed as a tow pig. IMHO/YMMV
I tow my boat 3-4 times a year. its 6500-7000, so its a non issue.

Yeah, sorry, statement wasnt directed at you, just a response of general thoughts sparked by your DEF comment.

And I’ll rephrase a bit, the motor is definitely designed and capable of decent 1500 level towing…especially in a standard trim with the tow package.

I do chuckle at times seeing 1500 trucks complete maxed out and being used for constant towing. It’s almost like someone is trying to prove that it can be done…I won’t argue it can, I do argue there are better options. To each his own in the end, I would hate to pick that truck up used though!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, statement wasnt directed at you, just a response of general thoughts sparked by your DEF comment.

And I’ll rephrase a bit, the motor is definitely designed and capable of decent 1500 level towing…especially in a standard trim with the tow package.

I do chuckle at times seeing 1500 trucks complete maxed out and being used for constant towing. It’s almost like someone is trying to prove that it can be done…I won’t argue it can, I do argue there are better options. To each his own in the end, I would hate to pick that truck up used though!!!
Totally agree there, could you do it, sure, with confidence, doubtful, and will you wear that truck out in no time flat, yes. If you are towing constantly a HD will serve better in the long run, 1/2 tons won’t hold up as well when being used that way all the time unless they are relatively light loads.

DEF = 800-1000k miles per gallon. I spent more than that in 10 minutes at the pool in Vegas today....... but it was worth it!

#cheers

Attachments

• 20240424_153404.jpg
    20240424_153404.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240424_153400.jpg
    20240424_153400.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 32
I tow my boat 3-4 times a year. its 6500-7000, so its a non issue.
Because ZR2 1500 suspension most have 8800 to 9000 max tow. It should be on door plate for specific to that truck setup. Time you add stuff in bed, passengers. Equipment. Your probably closer to max than you think. Just use your best judgement on how far and grades of road.

Last edited:
DEF = 800-1000k miles per gallon. I spent more than that in 10 minutes at the pool in Vegas today....... but it was worth it!

#cheers
You can get that stuff pretty cheap at truck stop pump. Also if you doing dealer oil change, tire rotation and topping off fluids some dealers topping def off too. Maybe AXE can get up to 11 min per gallon of def pool time. 😀

Because ZR2 1500 suspension most have 8800 to 9000 max tow. It should be on door plate for specific to that truck setup. Time you add stiff in bed, passengers. Equipment. Your probably closer to max than you think. Just use your best judgement on how far and grades of road.
8900 on the plate. I am less than the 80% rule.

You can get that stuff pretty cheap at truck stop pump. Also if you doing dealer oil change, tire rotation and topping off fluids some dealers topping def off too. Maybe AXE can get up to 11 min per gallon of def pool time. 😀
LOL...........You can't giet this kind of DEF quality at the dealer or truck stop.

What kind of mpg were you getting with a heavy load or towing?
I'm reading reviews of getting over the ratings but nobody says how they are driving.
Some of us are more aggressive hence my username lol
I almost traded in our acura suv for a cadillac suv. Friend said he was getting 5 mpg over the rating
Then i found out how he was driving.
Never hauled really heavy with it but when I would haul a SxS on a 14 foot trailer, the mileage would drop to about 16-17 at 65 mph

DEF isn't a big deal that's not the problem. the problem is this diesel has unresolved problems, and one of those is the exhaust filters plugging up from short trip driving. to the point they can't even be burnt out by a manual regen.

A good 1/2-ton diesel has yet to be manufactured. and considering GM's success in diesels so far it won't be them who does it.

I bought my 24 Duramax in Houston, drove it straight to Oakland CA. I did 65-85 mph, averaged 25.2 mpg. I put in on a boat and shipped it home to Hilo HI. My terrain here is very hilly, with some grades exceeding 20%. I sold my 17 ecoboost 3.5 4wd, which average 14.5 mpg. That truck always had lots of power, but towing was uncomfortable as the truck felt light and was pushed by heavy loads.

The ZR2 feels way more planted, with or without a trailer. I pull a tandem axle dump trailer with a GVW of 10k. Heaviest load I’ve pulled is 9800lbs, over the recommended GCVR of truck. Just went easy and it handled it fine, despite the 2-18% roads I was on. So far mpg have been averaging 20 mpg. For a light diesel I’m very impressed and happy with the truck.

im not happy with Chevy’s crappy software, internet service, mobile app and anything to do with high tech. But the truck is solid, and I do believe this will be the light duty diesel that will be sought after.

I bought it after I spoke to a diesel mechanic friend who also farms 5000 acres. He has three duramax 1500’s and buying a forth. He pulls every kind of large farm implement there is behind his 1500’s to transport to different fields, and no significant issues yet.

Most Member Reactions

Back