2022 ZR2 to a 2024 ZR2 Bison with Diesel

andrec10

Reaction score
Been having quite a few electronic issues with my 22 since November. Dealer has fixed all of them to date. I inquired about trading, and the sale manager is discounting the vehicle close to 8k plus rebates and offering me 53500 for my ZR2 with 35k miles on it. I am basically paying the difference of the Bison. Drove the Duramax and was surprised on its performance. Around here, diesel; is the same or less than premium, so the jump in mpg is interesting. Opinions?

Andre! I think if I were in your position I would pull the trigger on the Bison. Lots of members here with the baby dmax that love them.
Looking back, I should've ordered one of my trucks with the Diesel engine for MPGs

Been having quite a few electronic issues with my 22 since November. Dealer has fixed all of them to date. I inquired about trading, and the sale manager is discounting the vehicle close to 8k plus rebates and offering me 53500 for my ZR2 with 35k miles on it. I am basically paying the difference of the Bison. Drove the Duramax and was surprised on its performance. Around here, diesel; is the same or less than premium, so the jump in mpg is interesting. Opinions?
I have had 3 of the 3.0 Duramax trucks. Great motor in my experience. Generally averaged about 24.5 in mixed driving on my commute and not hard to get 27-28 at highway speeds of 65 or less. Like any non aerodynamic truck, higher speeds drop the mileage

are you gonna have DEF expense??

I went from a 22 zr2 to a 24 zr2 with the 3.0, I have no regrets so far.

I’ve posted this somewhere on the forum already with more details but it’s a good example of the difference.

My cousin has a 23 zr2 with the 6.2. We both left Council Bluffs and drove together all the way to Bolivar MO - we both have decked systems, we both had three Ruffland dog kennels, both had two people, both drove same speeds, etc etc etc. As close to apples to apples as you can get in a real world…

He coasted into the station completely empty and I had quite a bit of diesel left…way more fuel savings than DEF burned. Ultimately, I am not worried about the bottom line fuel savings as much as the distance on a tank…he has to stop all the time on hunting trips, it’s become a running joke. On a hunting trip last season he ran out of gas before we could get to a station so I had to go get a can and gas for him.

Personally, the performance for normal daily driving is fine with me (I actually think it’s way underrated) and that ultra low grunt torque is great on trails and off-road hunting scenarios for me as well. If you want the 0-60, sure, the 6.2 was fun (or TRX)

To each his own, I’ve owned both and enjoyed aspects of both but in the end I would not trade back, I really like the 3.0.

Edit-I’ve noted a few comments on the forum, “my service advisor says stay way from the 3.0” but I’ve not once read any reason or data behind the comments, and until I do I’ll take that as opinions which are freely given and worth about as much. 😅

Last edited:
When I was looking I didn't want turbo or diesel.
I wanted just a V8. Drove the 5.3 and ford's V8 and eco boost.
Then I drove the 6.2 and was sold.
Never looked at mpg. I might put on 5000 miles a year.
I just towed about 3000# in the hills running 75 mph and got 10 to 12 mpg
I usually run 80 to 85 mph non towing and get 14 to 16 mpg
After looking at performance numbers the diesel is a pooch.
If I was commuting more I would have tried the diesel
What does everyone get towing with the diesel or running hard?
I can't drive 55 lol

Last edited:
What does everyone get towing with the diesel or running hard?
I can't drive 55 lol
I am averaging over 20k miles a year. This is my second 6.2 and the DFM drives me nuts to the point of putting into trailer mode most of the time. I have driven the new diesel, and was impressed with its performance. The old one was more of a dog. Just have to convince the Wife its worth trading up!

What does everyone get towing with the diesel?
I put 10-15k miles on at least a couple trucks each year, for me, it’s more about miles per tank and it’s not even close…pooch or not.

I don’t tow with it (nor did it with the 22 gasser)…use the HDs for towing. As stated, it’s all about personal likes/dislikes, I’ve had both and enjoyed aspects of both.

I put 10-15k miles on at least a couple trucks each year, for me, it’s more about miles per tank and it’s not even close…pooch or not.

I don’t tow with it (nor did it with the 22 gasser)…use the HDs for towing. As stated, it’s all about personal likes/dislikes, I’ve had both and enjoyed aspects of both.
Makes sense. Multiple trucks and mpg.
Everyone's situation is different.
I just didn't want to deal with def and the extra maintenance.
Maybe diesels are different these days.
I just want to gas and go.
Although i just saw diesel was cheaper than 87 this weekend

Speaking of gas hogs.
I had a 2001 2500HD with an 8.1. Bought it used in 2003 and after 21 years the ZR2 replaced it
Put 70k miles on it in those 21 years
I might have got 12 mpg on the hwy and 8 around town.
I must like to visit gas stations

Speaking of gas hogs.
I had a 2001 2500HD with an 8.1. Bought it used in 2003 and after 21 years the ZR2 replaced it
Put 70k miles on it in those 21 years
I might have got 12 mpg on the hwy and 8 around town.
I must like to visit gas stations
im proud of my poor gas mileage. ZR2 6.2L when properly utilzed is a savage.

I gave both motors a lot of consideration. Coming from a gen2 raptor I really wanted a change of pace from the sorry noises offered by the ecoboost but sense took over and I elected the duramax. I make several long road trips to Utah throughout the year, along with a decent commute, and went with the better mileage option, which, on paper, doesn't seem like much but I've already seen mileage averaging in the high 20's. Since I live in the same area they did their testing, this hagerty article helped sell me.

This is probably the first time diesel has been cheaper than gas since 2005. In the good ol days, diesel was half price because it was cheaper to refine. Now with demand at records, diesel refining capacity has been sacrificed to produce the muiltiudes of different gasoline blends they require.

It'll probably ebb and flow back and forth until we have an economic crisis and demand destruction wins over.

When I was driving a 3.0, it seemed the DEF use was not too bad, usually about 5-6000 miles between fills, unless the load was heavy, like towing or a lot of wind

When I was driving a 3.0, it seemed the DEF use was not too bad, usually about 5-6000 miles between fills, unless the load was heavy, like towing or a lot of wind
What kind of mpg were you getting with a heavy load or towing?
I'm reading reviews of getting over the ratings but nobody says how they are driving.
Some of us are more aggressive hence my username lol
I almost traded in our acura suv for a cadillac suv. Friend said he was getting 5 mpg over the rating
Then i found out how he was driving.

When I got my 21 RSt with the 3.0 LM2 diesel the price of diesel fuel was equal to or a few cents less than regular, over time it went up to be higher than premium, but now it is back down to much less than premium and mid grade and about (currently in my neck) from a few cents cheaper than regular to about 30 cents more than regular depending which station you hit, but it is about 70 cents cheaper than mid grade and 80 cents cheaper than premium.

When towing be ready for 2 things, the truck will drink DEF like a drunken sailor, but if working properly should still be about 2-3% of fuel used, so more fuel to tow means more DEF. Also there is currently an "issue" with software that will make the truck "think" it is running out of DEF when it is not, and there is the chance it could put you in limp mode though the chance is small, even though you have plenty of DEF in the tank. Usually from what I have seen you just get the countdown to limp mode messages but usually don't actually get to that point. Due to this some people have overfilled the DEF tank because they thought they were empty and tried to put 5 gallons in when the tank still had a bunch.

Even with these things to consider I still wouldn't trade my diesel.

When I got my 21 RSt with the 3.0 LM2 diesel the price of diesel fuel was equal to or a few cents less than regular, over time it went up to be higher than premium, but now it is back down to much less than premium and mid grade and about (currently in my neck) from a few cents cheaper than regular to about 30 cents more than regular depending which station you hit, but it is about 70 cents cheaper than mid grade and 80 cents cheaper than premium.

When towing be ready for 2 things, the truck will drink DEF like a drunken sailor, but if working properly should still be about 2-3% of fuel used, so more fuel to tow means more DEF. Also there is currently an "issue" with software that will make the truck "think" it is running out of DEF when it is not, and there is the chance it could put you in limp mode though the chance is small, even though you have plenty of DEF in the tank. Usually from what I have seen you just get the countdown to limp mode messages but usually don't actually get to that point. Due to this some people have overfilled the DEF tank because they thought they were empty and tried to put 5 gallons in when the tank still had a bunch.

Even with these things to consider I still wouldn't trade my diesel.
Ive heard DEF can be rough when towing (although I’m not sure that’s much different than even HDs when loaded heavy), it’s really mild consumption daily driving.

I would contend this motor wasn’t designed, and definitely not the 1500 zr2, with towing in mind…it was a very distant priority on the list. I get 1500’s are used for mild towing but if you’re maxing this truck out towing on a regular basis, I’m not sure you got the right truck.

Most Member Reactions

Back