2025 Ram 1500 First Drive: No More Hemi

I agree. I came out of a RAM 1500 loaded Limited 4X4 Midnight Edition that was an amazing truck...I loved it! Maybe they'll win me back.
you had better luck than me. i bought a 16' ram 1500 2 door sport awd with a hemi. what a great truck. nimble, fast and looked great. i hit the 10k mile mark in 18' and the truck literally fell apart as i drove it. rear toolbox lid flew off. secured with tape. interior panels were warping and peeling. multiple rear brake light failure/ replacements and last straw was windshield leaking water from top left corner. tried sat ant repair 2 times. i was bummed.

Attachments

• 20151205_101200.jpg
    20151205_101200.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 19
you had better luck than me. i bought a 16' ram 1500 2 door sport awd with a hemi. what a great truck. nimble, fast and looked great. i hit the 10k mile mark in 18' and the truck literally fell apart as i drove it. rear toolbox lid flew off. secured with tape. interior panels were warping and peeling. multiple rear brake light failure/ replacements and last straw was windshield leaking water from top left corner. tried sat ant repair 2 times. i was bummed.
The truck had a FULL redesign in 2019. I had a 2019 Limited 4X4 and liked it so much, I traded her in for the 2021 Midnight Edition. Both were awesome trucks.

I've had good luck with Dodge / Ram & Jeeps too. I had one of the first Dakota with the 318 Magnum in 1992. I also had a 2001 Cummins & a 2010 Cummins. All three were good trucks. They went over 100 K and very little work. The Dakota probably was the best truck I ever owned, along with a 2018 F-150, with the 5.0. I've been pretty lucky I guess.

I hate that they keep pussyfying the front ends of trucks. They look more like crossovers and SUV grocery getters all the time. I guess everyone like to use them like passenger cars nowadays. My ol man will eat that right up tho.

Maybe they have a different front clip on the Rebel and Power Wagon.

I had one back in 98 when they first came out with the Quad Cab design, I really liked the truck and it served me well for about 6 years and 75K, then one Monday morning as I was heading to NYC for work she just died going down a hill and wouldn't restart, I grabbed a ride with a co-worker who was behind me going up I-95 and called to have her towed and looked at but they couldn't find anything wrong hours later. I never trusted it again and within a month I was in a new 2004 Silverado Z71 that went 225K without a single issue to speak of and she is still driving today for the oldest grandson at about 300K with the original motor, trans, and all the 4x4 stuff still intact. All I ever put into it except consumables like tires and brakes was 1 alternator, 1 power steering cooler and brake lines since they were a weak link and rotted out at about 180K. But I sure did like that Ram when I had it.

@securityguy What made you go to a ZR2 rather than a TRX?
Great question. I looked closely at the TRX but, for me, it was WAY overkill and I don't need 700HP. At the time, they were also a lot more costly and between the price, and the increase in insurance, I decided to go the ZR2 route. I was actually waiting, since 2019, for GM to do a full redesign of the interior. The reason I bought RAM in 19 and 21 was because GM tucks on the inside looked like cheap crap! Once GM got their $hit together and did a very nice redesign, they got me back. I love the look of the ZR2 far better than the current RAM. However, RAM still wins out for the best interior in any truck and their 2025 that comes out this spring will top even that. I buy new trucks every 1-2 years so we'll see what's happening later this year and who gets my money. I am still in love with the 2500HD ZR2:love:

I feel you. I looked at a TRX before the ZR2 and although the TRX is a badass truck I just couldn't switch over to RAM. . . . Yet

For me the TRX was the ultimate truck! Then with a lot of research, cost markups, insurance, and feeding that beast on road trips a couple times a year, I chickened out! I would have picked up a cheap 2nd car for mileage. I've spent most of my life having a garage queen hot rod or truck. It seems like there is always a reason to not drive it and I would end up paying more insurance on a vehicle that's just a toy. My friends still do it and end up driving their commuter cars all the time. I own one vehicle and drive it everyday and try to avoid the toys. Luckily every 4 or 5 years I just get a new one. I admit having another muscle car is tempting, but at fifteen to twenty times the original cost, not so much. Even a barebones Duster, 340 CI ,restored is 70 K.

Great question. I looked closely at the TRX but, for me, it was WAY overkill and I don't need 700HP. At the time, they were also a lot more costly and between the price, and the increase in insurance, I decided to go the ZR2 route. I was actually waiting, since 2019, for GM to do a full redesign of the interior. The reason I bought RAM in 19 and 21 was because GM tucks on the inside looked like cheap crap! Once GM got their $hit together and did a very nice redesign, they got me back. I love the look of the ZR2 far better than the current RAM. However, RAM still wins out for the best interior in any truck and their 2025 that comes out this spring will top even that. I buy new trucks every 1-2 years so we'll see what's happening later this year and who gets my money. I am still in love with the 2500HD ZR2:love:
100% on ZR2 looks comment.

Ram Laramie Longhorns have had the better interiors since about 2014. Mainly better leather and materials, better sound, and better electronic/infotainment system. My Dad drives a 23 Ram Laramie Longhorn and it's a really nice package. But it doesn't look nearly as good as the ZR2 if you like a more rugged truck look.

I think the GM interiors are decent too, but just not quite the same level in terms of materials.

I think the ZR2 is the best package that balanced for on and off road use and priced the best for what you get.

Ram Laramie Longhorns have had the better interiors since about 2014. Mainly better leather and materials, better sound, and better electronic/infotainment system. My Dad drives a 23 Ram Laramie Longhorn and it's a really nice package. But it doesn't look nearly as good as the ZR2 if you like a more rugged truck look.

I think the GM interiors are decent too, but just not quite the same level in terms of materials.

I think the ZR2 is the best package that balanced for on and off road use and priced the best for what you get.
100%

Reactions: AXE
@scubatech classics have crept way up. Even c/k trucks are ridiculously expensive.
They sure have. I was at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale in January and C ? K 10 trucks especially with an LS 2 or a 502" BB are bringing 50K + restored. I know that you can't restore one for that. A short bed is bringing even more. They are one heck of an investment. Of course once all of us Boomer are gone I look for it to drop. Very few younger folks seem to care about older V8 powered cars & trucks. They seem to like the tuner cars better. I hope not, since there are a lot of muscle cars and trucks in every town USA.

Most Member Reactions

Back