2500 mile road trip with towing in my ZR2.

Diesel328

Founding Member
Reaction score
So we took a 1500 mile road trip to Myrtle Beach from Buffalo NY this past week. 2 adults 3 kids 7-15 yrs old. My 15 yr old son has a job and saved up to buy his first truck, a 1999 s10 zr2 in NC and we towed it home on a U-haul car transport.
The ride on the way down was fantastic. The dssv shocks work so well. While cruising at any speed they soaked up any large dips or bumps in the road while always feeling stable and planted in the curves. Where I found they really excelled was while towing. The 99 zr2 and trailer had a combined weight of 6,000 lbs. The way the U-haul trailers are designed, most of that weight is on the tongue. The dssv's were phenomenal! No matter how fast I was going when I hit a bump or dip in the road the truck never felt unstable or loose. They soaked everything up! There were many times I would forget I was towing a trailer.
I averaged 18.5 mpg on the way down, the bed was pretty much full with all our stuff.
While towing we coverd 736 miles, averaged 10.5 mpg and had an average speed of 68.2 mph. I had the cruise set at 79 mph for a good part of the way, even while climbing Fancy gap and Flat top in Virginia and West Virginia. The 6.2 had plenty of power and easily maintained that speed up all the hills. It honestly never left me wanting more power. While towing through the hills I left the transmission in L9 so the DFM would be disabled.
My only complaint would be the seats. After about 8hrs on the road my a** was sore. They are too firm for my liking, but better than the ones in my 21 Trail boss. I really do appreciate the new electric shifter as well. It is very convenient to just toggle it back and forth to switch in and out of D and L verses trying to move a column shift while driving. I also don't feel it took up any needed space in the console. We had plenty of room for all our devices and drinks.
All in all I am very satisfied with my purchase and feel the ZR2 package is well worth the extra cost above a Trail Boss. Even if you don't do a lot of off roading. You will still benefit from a much better ride on road and the ability to tow a good amount of weight with confidence!

Attachments

• 20220828_091022.jpg
    20220828_091022.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20220827_130119.jpg
    20220827_130119.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20220827_130103.jpg
    20220827_130103.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 192
Glad you had a good ride!

These trucks do ride very well. Why I’m hesitant playing with bigger tires and stepping away from SL.

Love to hear positive e stories. 99 looks sweet too. One thing though, what's up with the check engine light?

Love to hear positive e stories. 99 looks sweet too. One thing though, what's up with the check engine light?
franky16 is right, I just held the start button in.
Yeah the 99 ain't too bad for 2700 bucks. Totally rust and almost clear coat free😁 A fresh coat of paint will bring her right back around!

I also forgot to comment on the GMPP Borla S-type exhaust. Not one complaint from either my wife or kids on the sound. Absolutely zero drone the whole trip and it was almost as quiet as stock while cruising at speed. I did hear it while towing up the hills, but it was never overwhelming. Just a nice deep rumble.
The 10 speed transmission is also a jem! I never had a wonky shift and it always picked the right gear for the situation. The shifts while towing up the hills were firm and quick. I am truly impressed with the powertrain in this truck!

I also forgot to comment on the GMPP Borla S-type exhaust. Not one complaint from either my wife or kids on the sound. Absolutely zero drone the whole trip and it was almost as quiet as stock while cruising at speed. I did hear it while towing up the hills, but it was never overwhelming. Just a nice deep rumble.
The 10 speed transmission is also a jem! I never had a wonky shift and it always picked the right gear for the situation. The shifts while towing up the hills were firm and quick. I am truly impressed with the powertrain in this truck!
I can drink to that. The 6L80 in my last truck was a nightmare of gear hunting with it’s little 5.3 that could

Most Member Reactions

Back