2500HD ZR2 500 Mile Review

AXE

Reaction score
I've finally got 500 miles on my rig. So thought I would offer up my initial thoughts.

Overall, it is a very nice package. Looks great, motor and tranny are near perfect match, ride quality is incredible. Looks really good and should be a good long term tow rig.

Motor is strong and power is very linear. It's the quietest diesel I've heard, hardly any noise in cab. Maybe too quiet for hard core diesel enthusiasts.

10 speed tranny is awesome. Always seems to be in the right power band and is easy to drive on steep grades and corners.

The Multimatic DSSV suspension is great, just like 1500s. I would say the best lifted truck I've ridden in by far. Depending upon terrain and road conditions, it's easily 15-50% better than my last truck I lifted and I liked that Cognito lift a lot. It actually rides better light towing and in choppy terrain than I ever would have imagined.

I really like how big this truck sits and it doesn't look like grandpa's tow rig. The lighting scheme is perfect when lit up at night, definitely big rig vibes.

Controls and creature comforts make this a nice rig to relax and drive.

Last edited:
The Bison package is worth the money if you like the bumper, skids, and wheels. Everthing else is just cheap branding. You may not like the $9k price, but there ain't no way you're getting that much hardware for nothing. Materials, labor, shipping, install, marketing, they ain't making a huge profit.

I like the wheels and center caps are solid. Skids are built very well and look very high quality. I like the bumpers visually from 10 feet away and the steel and tow hooks are high quality.

The problem I have with the bumpers is there's way too much plastic and the fitment/ seams are not great. There's 12 pieces of plastic on front bumper and 10 on the rear. They are gonna look like hell in a couple years.

The other problem with the front bumper is the fog lights are not great. My 22 1500 ZR2 has better stock fogs.

The other thing I hate is the cheap ass vinyl Bison stickers on rear quarter panels. Looks chintzy as hell.

Last edited:
A few complaints so far.

Looks like some similar infotainment issues. Minor cut outs, first couple hundred miles. Not any since, maybe it won't be as bad.

My trailer wire hookup or brake controller is broken right out of the gate. Constant trailer connected/ disconnected message in DIC. GM quality control sucks!

I don't like these billboard size mirrors. I can't seem to get them adjusted right. Always seems to be missing part of one or two lanes in a blind spot. Damn near got side swiped twice. Once getting on freeway with some ahole going 90 and once in traffic, which was my fault. I'm running the rear view mirror camera to help. That works better in wide open, not as much in traffic.

Didn't like that my Bison wheels wouldn't accommodate 37s. Might get a separate set of wheels and tires, keep the stock 35s for heavy towing.

Last edited:
I have noticed that mine can be quite bumpy or rough on the freeway with any bump. Running tires low 50s maybe I’m just being too picky.
Love the interior and everything else about the truck.

Interesting, because on choppy pavement and potholes that's where I thought it was considerably better than my previous lifted trucks.

I suppose if it was pavement that is like the whoops it might have a different feel.

I'm running right at 55 psi cold. I'll run 65 psi when I tow heavy.

Interesting, because on choppy pavement and potholes that's where I thought it was considerably better than my previous lifted trucks.

I suppose if it was pavement that is like the whoops it might have a different feel.

Good stuff, Sounds like it might be something I just have to get used to coming from a F150 then a TRX then stepped into the 2500 ZR2.

Reactions: AXE
Good stuff, Sounds like it might be something I just have to get used to coming from a F150 then a TRX then stepped into the 2500 ZR2.
Yeah, I think the extra weight and size of rear springs and torsion bars is a whole different animal. They have to be able to accommodate another 18k of weight if towing. So when not towing, it has a stiffer ride.

I have a 1500 ZR2 as well and 2500HD is not anywhere close to as plush as that ride. But I did not care for the ride towing in the 1500, suspension is too soft.

@AXE What are you running for air pressure when towing with your 1500?

I've run about 37-38 cold. I've not towed very far, but if I was gonna run longer distances I might run 40-42. I would have to run it to see how it felt.

Without towing 37 psi also, but I tried 34-35 and it felt a little better with these stiffer Toyos, but not much better. I went back to 37. When I get going that makes them 39-40 while driving. I set all my pressure after the sun goes down so they are more accurate "cold" psi.

I've run about 37-38 cold. I've not towed very far, but if I was gonna run longer distances I might run 40-42. I would have to run it to see how it felt.

Without towing 37 psi also, but I tried 34-35 and it felt a little better with these stiffer Toyos, but not much better. I went back to 37. When I get going that makes them 39-40 while driving. I set all my pressure after the sun goes down so they are more accurate "cold" psi.
Thanks, I usually set mine first thing in the morning for the same reason.

I have got almost 500 on mine and it will be a week-old tomorrow. Funny that the only issue so far is the AC did not work. Long story short it was a $8.00 high pressure switch that was broken during installation. Changed the tires (BFG HD Terrain 35x12.50-18) the first day as the ones Chevrolet chose are not adequate for where I have to drive on the ranch in far southeast New Mexico right on the Texas border.

Have my toolbox mounted and the PPF is going on today to keep rocks damage to a minimum on the front and the modified mud flaps are on the way from DuraFlap. Going to do some fitting and provide feedback to them. My SIL has a truck as well like mine except red and it already has damage from rocks on the driver side. Ate right through the gel cote.

So far love it and it is the best riding and handling lifted truck I have ever owned by far. LOVE the new shocks!

The paint on these trucks is horrible. You don't get small marks on the clear coat, you get craters down to the primer and metal. My 1500 ZR2 looks worse at 9 months than my previous 2500 did at 9 years. I gave up trying to touch up dings, as there isn't enough paint at O'Reilly to handle it. Gonna Line X the rockers soon, already did the front lower bumper fascia. Looks pretty good too.

It appears that the 2500HD ZR2 will do the same.

I've used Clear Bra on previous rigs. It looks good for a while and then it starts to get cloudy and edges trap dirt. It's a PIA to remove and leaves a shadow behind. It's expensive for what it does. My Clear Bra guy said he wouldn't do the rockers cause the texture was too rough to get a good clean application. I'm just gonna Line X them in a year, at least I know it looks decent and will hold up over time.

The paint on these trucks is horrible. You don't get small marks on the clear coat, you get craters down to the primer and metal. My 1500 ZR2 looks worse at 9 months than my previous 2500 did at 9 years. I gave up trying to touch up dings, as there isn't enough paint at O'Reilly to handle it. Gonna Line X the rockers soon, already did the front lower bumper fascia. Looks pretty good too.

It appears that the 2500HD ZR2 will do the same.

I've used Clear Bra on previous rigs. It looks good for a while and then it starts to get cloudy and edges trap dirt. It's a PIA to remove and leaves a shadow behind. It's expensive for what it does. My Clear Bra guy said he wouldn't do the rockers cause the texture was too rough to get a good clean application. I'm just gonna Line X them in a year, at least I know it looks decent and will hold up over time.
My PPF is going on as we speak, and the Flaps will be here on Monday or Tuesday. These trucks are rock magnets! It is not the paint but the lack of planning on GM's part to have adequate protection to keep this from happening in the first place. My 2022 Tremor never got a ding from the tires just a couple of small ones above the bug shield on the front.

I drove my last Duramax 9 years, 6 inch lift, 35 inch Toyo MTs, -12 offset wheels, no mud flaps in all kinds of terrain. Nowhere close to the same issue with paint chips.

You'll get some protection from your mudflaps and pff, but the rest of it will still look like shit in a couple years. It's really poor quality paint and very thin.

I can't even load my hunting dog into back without leaving scratches on the door sill, it looks like I just loaded 150 head of cattle.

I drove my last Duramax 9 years, 6 inch lift, 35 inch Toyo MTs, -12 offset wheels, no mud flaps in all kinds of terrain. Nowhere close to the same issue with paint chips.

You'll get some protection from your mudflaps and pff, but the rest of it will still look like shit in a couple years. It's really poor quality paint and very thin.

I can't even load my hunting dog into back without leaving scratches on the door sill, it looks like I just loaded 150 head of cattle.
The paint is all very thin now and a lot harder. Everything I have owned the last 20 years or so. German, Japanese and American has been this way. Actually, the paint on my last 2 GM's a 2020 Tri white Denali and this on regular white are much better than my Vette.

I also seal mine with Pinnacle Black Diamond Sealer every 2 months and wax with carnauba every 3 weeks or so. Keeps the scratches from the ranch off the paint. Yes, I know not many go to that much trouble, but I have lots of equipment and knowledge from when I used to show vehicles.

The paint is all very thin now and a lot harder. Everything I have owned the last 20 years or so. German, Japanese and American has been this way. Actually, the paint on my last 2 GM's a 2020 Tri white Denali and this on regular white are much better than my Vette.

I also seal mine with Pinnacle Black Diamond Sealer every 2 months and wax with carnauba every 3 weeks or so. Keeps the scratches from the ranch off the paint. Yes, I know not many go to that much trouble, but I have lots of equipment and knowledge from when I used to show vehicles.
have you thought about a good quality ceramic coating?

have you thought about a good quality ceramic coating?
Do not do those. Prefer the type of shine from carnauba after a polish. The ceramic is great for some folks but not me. That being said the older I get the better that type of paint surface treatment sounds better and better. ;)

This paint cracks from the inside out. Never seen anything like it. Clear coat is like cotton candy and paint is like a Jolly Rancher. I want an everlasting gobstopper like a 1970 IH.

If they made ceramic like Line-x, I would get excited. That shit would have to come out like my coffee cup to make a difference on my rigs.

Ceramic is good at one thing......lightening your wallet. For 100 years we didn't need ceramic, just decent paint......now we do......same companies making paint are making cermaics with the left over harder from the paint...LOL.

Last edited:
Just did my 500 mile oil change today. No issues underneath and just a FYI to everyone! Not all of the suspension areas were grease filled at the factory during the build. Have seen this before but is always something I check. No leaks and all is well now that I have my oil and filter installed. 5-40 Amsoil Signature and a EA011 filter.

A few complaints so far.

Looks like some similar infotainment issues. Minor cut outs, first couple hundred miles. Not any since, maybe it won't be as bad.

My trailer wire hookup or brake controller is broken right out of the gate. Constant trailer connected/ disconnected message in DIC. GM quality control sucks!

I don't like these billboard size mirrors. I can't seem to get them adjusted right. Always seems to be missing part of one or two lanes in a blind spot. Damn near got side swiped twice. Once getting on freeway with some ahole going 90 and once in traffic, which was my fault. I'm running the rear view mirror camera to help. That works better in wide open, not as much in traffic.

Didn't like that my Bison wheels wouldn't accommodate 37s. Might get a separate set of wheels and tires, keep the stock 35s for heavy towing.
No way that 37's will work on this truck without major cutting and a lift..... My 35x12.50-18 BFG's almost rub now turned all of the way without even being in travel.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back