2500HD ZR2 500 Mile Review

Good job! Why can't you make the suspension work correctly on them? It's not hard like oil changes on your driveway!
Axe question....what is your opinion on the Gasser as far as towing?? I live in the south with 95% FLAT roads...so no huge grades etc and are thinking about a 5th wheel around 16,500 LOADED(13K-ish dry) and I LOVE THIS TRUCK....Just not sure for my situation I really need to spend the extra 9500 for the diesel and pricy maintenance cost, not to mention depending on the problem could take MONTHS to get part and install due to "supply chain issues" blah blah blah.....

So what do you think? I've seen countless vids where the gasser max tow for 5th wheel/gooseneck is 18,100 while the diesel is 18,500👀.......?.......

Axe question....what is your opinion on the Gasser as far as towing?? I live in the south with 95% FLAT roads...so no huge grades etc and are thinking about a 5th wheel around 16,500 LOADED(13K-ish dry) and I LOVE THIS TRUCK....Just not sure for my situation I really need to spend the extra 9500 for the diesel and pricy maintenance cost, not to mention depending on the problem could take MONTHS to get part and install due to "supply chain issues" blah blah blah.....

So what do you think? I've seen countless vids where the gasser max tow for 5th wheel/gooseneck is 18,100 while the diesel is 18,500👀.......?.......

You're still thinking ZR2 for that 16k camper?

I think the gasser is a great truck and will be fine within its rating.

I choose the diesel because out west there are plenty of mountains and 6% grades. The diesel will pull 15k up those hills at 70 mph without breaking a sweat and get decent mileage. I haven't exceeded 14K (23k GCWR) ever with my diesels, so I'm not sure that would be considered heavy towing by today's standards.

The other main factor for me is the cost of ownership over 6+ years. I drive my diesels a long time and always hold value and are low maintenance. If I decide to keep this ZR2 for 10 years, I expect to sell it for $50k. That's only $4500 a year to own it.

Last edited:
I think the gasser is a great truck and will be fine within its rating.

I choose the diesel because out west there are plenty of mountains and 6% grades. The diesel will pull 15k up those hills at 70 mph without breaking a sweat and get decent mileage. I haven't exceeded 14K ever with my diesels, so I'm not sure that would be considered heavy towing by today's standards.

The other main factor for me is the cost of ownership over 6+ years. I drive my diesels a long time and always hold value and are low maintenance. If I decide to keep this ZR2 for 10 years, I expect to sell it for $50k. That's only $4500 a year to own it.
ok👍....so by my situation the opposite as far as terrain goes and how often i plan to move around in the 5th wheel....sounds like the gasser might be good for me then.....

Reactions: AXE
Yup. That's why I just traded my 1500 ZR2 for a 2024 GMC 2500 HD AT4X. That's not the only reason, but one of the deciding factors. I'll be driving about 3500 miles in the next two weeks. The massaging seats should come in handy. I'll follow up in a few weeks.

ok👍....so by my situation the opposite as far as terrain goes and how often i plan to move around in the 5th wheel....sounds like the gasser might be good for me then.....
What about wind in the plains states? When I run there, the diesel also chugs into a 30 mph wind easy.

What about wind in the plains states? When I run there, the diesel also chugs into a 30 mph wind easy.
Well I'm in the south...AL/GA/MS/FL/LA and live on the Gulf Coast in AL....all those states I just named is where I mostly work in as contractor...every now and then I make a trip up north to OH or PA etc...but I know the routes pretty good from over the years and know how to get around the Mountains over here on the east coast as well.....

Winds come with storms which the trailer will be stationary at that point...there may be some high winds in the mountain regions once you get into NC on upward...but again...95% of the time, I'm on Flat roads....

So this video might be worth watching, Skip to the end where he takes it to the scales. His 5th wheel is 12.5k weight. It's an AT4X HD. But atleast it will give you an idea of what I was sayin. He had 150lb left of payload on his truck with a 12.5k trailer. I understand your reasoning about limited use, flat ground, ect. The truck will pull it. But you will for sure be overloaded with with a 16k trailer on a ZR2 HD gas or diesel.

So this video might be worth watching, Skip to the end where he takes it to the scales. His 5th wheel is 12.5k weight. It's an AT4X HD. But atleast it will give you an idea of what I was sayin. He had 150lb left of payload on his truck with a 12.5k trailer. I understand your reasoning about limited use, flat ground, ect. The truck will pull it. But you will for sure be overloaded with with a 16k trailer on a ZR2 HD gas or diesel.
Ok and I like JB videos👍

I see and get what he's saying...I just don't want a travel trailer.....too small...havent seen any spacious ones yet and if the made the ZR2 in a one ton I would get but they dont....I have coworkers towing 5th wheel 40's all day with their older 2012-2020(diesel) 3/4 ton trucks with air bags and they have no problems🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️...but they also are from the south and are not in mountainous areas etc....

I see and get what he's saying...I just don't want a travel trailer.....too small...havent seen any spacious ones yet and if the made the ZR2 in a one ton I would get but they dont....I have coworkers towing 5th wheel 40's all day with their older 2012-2020(diesel) 3/4 ton trucks with air bags and they have no problems🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️...but they also are from the south and are not in mountainous areas etc....
I understand. Was just making sure you new the deal. My dad actually was a full time RV'er Up until recently. He towed a decent sized 5th wheel with heated tanks, ect. He did it with a Chevy Duramax 2500. It was an LT though with the trailering package though, so he was with in weight limits. Even with that he had me put air bags right away.

My family owned an RV dealership for 26 years. So I grew up around this stuff. Learned to drive towing campers actually, lol. Use to put hitches and brake controllers on as a kid. We use to do estimates and insurance jobs also. If you can, you really should try to stay with in the trucks ratings. If a state trooper decides to check you, or you have a wreck. It really can be a mess.

I understand. Was just making sure you new the deal. My dad actually was a full time RV'er Up until recently. He towed a decent sized 5th wheel with heated tanks, ect. He did it with a Chevy Duramax 2500. It was an LT though with the trailering package though, so he was with in weight limits. Even with that he had me put air bags right away.

My family owned an RV dealership for 26 years. So I grew up around this stuff. Learned to drive towing campers actually, lol. Use to put hitches and brake controllers on as a kid. We use to do estimates and insurance jobs also. If you can, you really should try to stay with in the trucks ratings. If a state trooper decides to check you, or you have a wreck. It really can be a mess.
I understand and I thought about the state trooper thing....moreover I just didn't want a travel trailer(too small)...maybe I can look for a little lighter 5th wheel...but I've looked at so many and it's only certain brands I like and they usually turn out in this weight range🤦‍♂️....it seems the more "luxurious" they are the heavier and the more plain and small the lighter....but if you are going to spend X amount of dollars then why get the plain, simple and small one🤷‍♂️....for 5k-10k more you could get what you want in a 5th wheel but like you said if you get in an accident or trooper pulls you over🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️...but even those are all "ifs" too🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.... *sigh......

I understand and I thought about the state trooper thing....moreover I just didn't want a travel trailer(too small)...maybe I can look for a little lighter 5th wheel...but I've looked at so many and it's only certain brands I like and they usually turn out in this weight range🤦‍♂️....it seems the more "luxurious" they are the heavier and the more plain and small the lighter....but if you are going to spend X amount of dollars then why get the plain, simple and small one🤷‍♂️....for 5k-10k more you could get what you want in a 5th wheel but like you said if you get in an accident or trooper pulls you over🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️...but even those are all "ifs" too🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.... *sigh......
Oh I understand. That's part of why I posted that specific video. That's one of his complaints. There is no 3500 option in the ZR2 or AT4X line up. There really should be just for the legal aspect. 3500 SRW option would help a bunch. Or even just a max trailering option on the 2500s.

I purchased the Gas ZR2 HD, but I really wasn't concerned with the ratings. The half ton did what I asked it to. But I'm pretty sure I had it overloaded several times. Shouldn't be an issue for the HD. But if I were in your shoes, I doubt I'd went that route.

On the plus side it really is just the legal aspect. Mechanically it's no big deal. You aren't going to bend the frame, bend an axle or burn up the transmission, ect. You will probably need airbags because of the softer suspension. I would check the tires rating. That's one area you definitely don't want to push limits on. But the rest is is pretty much the same across all the trims in the HD lineup.

Oh I understand. That's part of why I posted that specific video. That's one of his complaints. There is no 3500 option in the ZR2 or AT4X line up. There really should be just for the legal aspect. 3500 SRW option would help a bunch. Or even just a max trailering option on the 2500s.

I purchased the Gas ZR2 HD, but I really wasn't concerned with the ratings. The half ton did what I asked it to. But I'm pretty sure I had it overloaded several times. Shouldn't be an issue for the HD. But if I were in your shoes, I doubt I'd went that route.

On the plus side it really is just the legal aspect. Mechanically it's no big deal. You aren't going to bend the frame, bend an axle or burn up the transmission, ect. You will probably need airbags because of the softer suspension. I would check the tires rating. That's one area you definitely don't want to push limits on. But the rest is is pretty much the same across all the trims in the HD lineup.
And you know what...what you just said at the end...I heard the EXACT same thing before..."it's just the legal aspect, Mechanically it's no big deal"...and I think that what it really comes down too because like I said I have PLENTY of coworkers that travel working too and some with older 3/4 tons....yes they're diesel with airbags but they too are over their weight limit and they say they never have a problem towing🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.....the never speak on the legal aspect because they never got pulled over or in an accident.....I guess some people will never run into that and some will🤷‍♂️

I've got a 28 foot TT that is 32ish bumper to bumper. It has a lot of room inside and can easily take 4 guys on a 5 day hunt with sxs and gear loaded 13.5kish. Wife and 3 kids and two dogs was no problem camping.

If I was going any bigger it would be a 5th wheel. I like my bed for extra gear when hunting.

Last edited:
I've got a 28 foot TR that is 32ish bumper to bumper. It has alot of room inside and can easily take 4 guys on a 5 day hunt with sxs and gear it loaded 13.5kish. Wife and 3 kids and two dogs was no problem camping.

If I was going any bigger it would be a 5th wheel. I like my bed for extra gear when hunting.
What brand and model number?

Weekend Warrior! They're not made any more. Went BKY the year after I bought it in 2008. Warrior Lifestyle makes similar ones, but not as big.

Attachments

• 20230508_132300.jpg
    20230508_132300.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230508_202643.jpg
    20230508_202643.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back