Contents of my catch can after 6,700 miles.

Not a thing. I have had one on my '20 5.3 TB, '21 6.2 TB, and now my ZR2. They have all been in for service or warranty work and have never had a problem.

I also added one on my ZR2 and I hope it will help the lifters from carbon build ups. The photo was after a 1,000 miles.

Attachments

• DC0DD058-E746-4D07-AE86-CBD24DBC507B.jpeg
    DC0DD058-E746-4D07-AE86-CBD24DBC507B.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 92
  • B04F5745-BF7B-482C-B74D-2BFB816628AA.jpeg
    B04F5745-BF7B-482C-B74D-2BFB816628AA.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 87
It won't do anything for the lifters, but it will help keep the intake manifold, valves and combustion chamber clean.

Looks like a slick setup, is that a DIY kit or a specific brand in the video?
I used this one from Amazon, along with some fuel line and hose clamps. It's cheap and works great!
Mini Oil Separator Catch Can Tank with Inner Filter for Engine - 3/8 Barb Adapter https://a.co/d/3YqNQYO

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just installed a corsa catch can in the ZR2. Really happy with it. Seems to be really high quality.

I took my truck in today with the dreaded service esc, service traction control, and check engine light on. It was shaking and running rough. My 2021 trail boss had the same symptoms and it was bent push rods. I hope it’s not the same issue and hopefully they don’t try to void my warranty for the oil catch can. I would have removed it but I didn’t have time.

I took my truck in today with the dreaded service esc, service traction control, and check engine light on. It was shaking and running rough. My 2021 trail boss had the same symptoms and it was bent push rods. I hope it’s not the same issue and hopefully they don’t try to void my warranty for the oil catch can. I would have removed it but I didn’t have time.
Don’t sound good. Keep us updated

Thank god it is just a bad injector and will be fixed tomorrow. They did give me a hard time for the catch can and said they don’t recommend it because it would probably void my warranty if I had major engine issues. I feel like that might vary from dealer to dealer. I’ll remove it before I take it in next time. I’ve dumped a ton of gunk out of it, especially now that it’s cold. This video is after only 500 miles. In the warmer weather it was darker oil with less moisture and way less.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    8.7 MB
I dunno... but that looks like a milkshake? Like coolant got in there?

I dunno... but that looks like a milkshake? Like coolant got in there?
I have a friend that has one on his jeep and in the winter it has the same milkshake look to it. I don’t know if it’s moisture or what. I’ll be removing it when I get my truck back from the shop. They gave me a hard time for having it on there and I definitely don’t want to void any warranties.

Sounds good. How cold does it get? Do you have to plug your truck in?

I just put in a J&L separator. I like that it has the OEM style connections. Its also easier now to feed it some top end cleaner down it's yap.

I dont see how it would void any warranty. Its just a vacuum line basically. You're just flashing the oil vapour off. Meh...

The “milkshake” content is a mixture of oil and water. This is normal in the winter because the catch can is cold and the air passing through it is much warmer which causes condensation. During the winter you need to empty out the reservoir more often due to this, until the weather warms back up.

Sounds good. How cold does it get? Do you have to plug your truck in?

I just put in a J&L separator. I like that it has the OEM style connections. Its also easier now to feed it some top end cleaner down it's yap.

I dont see how it would void any warranty. Its just a vacuum line basically. You're just flashing the oil vapour off. Meh...
Mine is a J&L. When I took that video it was below zero for a few weeks and no I don’t have to plug it in. I was suprised that the dealer mechanics had no clue what a catch can was. I’ve only heard good things.

The “milkshake” content is a mixture of oil and water. This is normal in the winter because the catch can is cold and the air passing through it is much warmer which causes condensation. During the winter you need to empty out the reservoir more often due to this, until the weather warms back up.
Exactly right! Mine does the same thing.

THIS^^^ Every catch can I've ever had over the years did the same thing. The winter creates issues with the contents of the catch can. Totally normal for this time of year.

Most Member Reactions

Back