6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 103 91.2%

• Total voters
Forgive my ignorance but driving in L9? Do you just put it in manual mode and shift up to 9??
Put the trans in "L" and shift up to 9. It won't cure the chinese lifter issue but it may make the motor last a little longer before it implodes. That will keep the auto stop off and stop the DFM from dropping cylinders.

Put the trans in "L" and shift up to 9. It won't cure the chinese lifter issue but it may make the motor last a little longer before it implodes. That will keep the auto stop off and stop the DFM from dropping cylinders.
They are not made in China.

Sorry for my ignorance but how do you know when you have lifter failure ? I'm new to the ZR2. Never had any type of problems with my 2017 High Country expect the shuddering the 8 speed tranny would do at times. Chevy replaced the fluid with an update formula and that took care of the shuddering.

Your check engine will come on you will hear a ticking. Then you take to dealer for open surgery on engine. Like this one.

Attachments

• IMG-20220209-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220209-WA0003.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 122
Sorry for my ignorance but how do you know when you have lifter failure ? I'm new to the ZR2. Never had any type of problems with my 2017 High Country expect the shuddering the 8 speed tranny would do at times. Chevy replaced the fluid with an update formula and that took care of the shuddering.
As Blazer stated, you’ll know something is up and the dealer will then diagnose to confirm. Ultimately, as was my point and desire to show folks in creating this thread to begin with, the risk is low…last time I looked, single digit % low on this forum. So, drive enjoy, and accept that anything mechanical can fail…if it does, mechanical things can be repaired 👍

As Blazer stated, you’ll know something is up and the dealer will then diagnose to confirm. Ultimately, as was my point and desire to show folks in creating this thread to begin with, the risk is low…last time I looked, single digit % low on this forum. So, drive enjoy, and accept that anything mechanical can fail…if it does, mechanical things can be repaired 👍
well said...im a convert!!

Just going to put this out there! The ZR2 is just the trim level that we all chose. It happens to be a very expensive truck but obviously not immune to problems. Mechanically it is the same Silverado as a Trail Boss, an LTZ and any other with a 6.2 and 10 speed. Aside from the lockers and the shocks, it's a Silverado with a 6.2 which GM made and continues to make tens of thousands of. I realize that I'm on a ZR2 forum and that's what I'm going to hear the griping about, but some of these gripes are so friggin petty and stupid, I'd be embarrassed to post them. Would I get pissed off if my engine grenades?, yes, but the bashing of this truck on this forum is unbelievable. I absolutely love this truck and wish I lived in an area where I can use more of its potential, but even just driving this thing to work is a pleasure. The ride blows away my last LTZ and the power and sound with the Borla exhaust and the 6.2 is really a joy to drive. It's a beautiful pickup and i get tons of compliments. Most of us will be ok and hopefully won't have to use our warranty, but we have it just in case. Go to a Tahoe forum and you can hear them complain about the same "dreaded" lifter issues. The problems are not exclusive to the ZR2. In fact, the exclusive parts that make it a ZR2 work great. I rarely hear of the lockers failing or the shocks leaking... so if we're going to own a Silverado I still think we own the best of the best! If you hate GM, you bought the wrong truck, go to Ram or Ford and deal with their issues because they have some good ones too!

Just going to put this out there! The ZR2 is just the trim level that we all chose. It happens to be a very expensive truck but obviously not immune to problems. Mechanically it is the same Silverado as a Trail Boss, an LTZ and any other with a 6.2 and 10 speed. Aside from the lockers and the shocks, it's a Silverado with a 6.2 which GM made and continues to make tens of thousands of. I realize that I'm on a ZR2 forum and that's what I'm going to hear the griping about, but some of these gripes are so friggin petty and stupid, I'd be embarrassed to post them. Would I get pissed off if my engine grenades?, yes, but the bashing of this truck on this forum is unbelievable. I absolutely love this truck and wish I lived in an area where I can use more of its potential, but even just driving this thing to work is a pleasure. The ride blows away my last LTZ and the power and sound with the Borla exhaust and the 6.2 is really a joy to drive. It's a beautiful pickup and i get tons of compliments. Most of us will be ok and hopefully won't have to use our warranty, but we have it just in case. Go to a Tahoe forum and you can hear them complain about the same "dreaded" lifter issues. The problems are not exclusive to the ZR2. In fact, the exclusive parts that make it a ZR2 work great. I rarely hear of the lockers failing or the shocks leaking... so if we're going to own a Silverado I still think we own the best of the best! If you hate GM, you bought the wrong truck, go to Ram or Ford and deal with their issues because they have some good ones too!
Yup it's a great truck it's a pleasure to drive and mine as well has the Borla and it sounds great. Now if my lifters go out will I be pisst no. It's not my first new Truck or will it be my last. Just would like to have more time to play in dirt with it. 😉

Last edited:
please dont confuse members "bashing". its subjective like everything else in this world. what pisses me off could be a non issue with others. i enjoy and welcome all OPINIONS! it keeps the forum fresh. i disagree with your number on tens of thousands of 6.2L engines being built. maybe past tense but no reason for any delays on motors earmarked for warranty. IMO.

My opinion is that; if you look at only 2019 and up Silverado sales # in the US, not including Canada when the L87 6.2 with DI was built you'll see over 2 million sales. If Chevy put a 6.2 in 10% of them that would be 200,000. Now keep in mind also that this engine is also in the Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL and the Cadillac Escalade. So when I said tens of thousands of 6.2 ltrs out there, I think I low-balled it a little. And your right, everyone is entitled to there opinion! IMHO
Screenshot_20230726_190806_Chrome.jpg

My opinion is that; if you look at only 2019 and up Silverado sales # in the US, not including Canada when the L87 6.2 with DI was built you'll see over 2 million sales. If Chevy put a 6.2 in 10% of them that would be 200,000. Now keep in mind also that this engine is also in the Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL and the Cadillac Escalade. So when I said tens of thousands of 6.2 ltrs out there, I think I low-balled it a little. And your right, everyone is entitled to there opinion! IMHO View attachment 6272
👍🤘

Reactions: AXE
please dont confuse members "bashing". its subjective like everything else in this world. what pisses me off could be a non issue with others. i enjoy and welcome all OPINIONS! it keeps the forum fresh. i disagree with your number on tens of thousands of 6.2L engines being built. maybe past tense but no reason for any delays on motors earmarked for warranty. IMO.
This is the correct response! The complaints I've seen are mostly warranted. Dead/sketchy electronics, grenaded motors, shitty paint........that's the easy stuff and shouldn't even be a problem...........but here we are talking about it.

The bean counters at the manufacturerers have figured out it's better to push shit out the door and fix it later than to make sure its right before its delivered. They'll keep doing it and the owners will pay the price sitting around for 30 to 90 days without a truck. It's all bullshit and it'll continue cause people "must" accept it.

Fuck any business that makes customers who paid any amount of money for a product or service wait for days, weeks, or months to get what they paid for with their cash. Fuck anyone that's complicit with it too.

I've got far too much pride and integrity in what I do to stiff anyone like that!

My opinion is that; if you look at only 2019 and up Silverado sales # in the US, not including Canada when the L87 6.2 with DI was built you'll see over 2 million sales. If Chevy put a 6.2 in 10% of them that would be 200,000. Now keep in mind also that this engine is also in the Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL and the Cadillac Escalade. So when I said tens of thousands of 6.2 ltrs out there, I think I low-balled it a little. And your right, everyone is entitled to there opinion! IMHO View attachment 6272
There's a shit load of them.........ironically, with fuel prices at all time highs, there seems to be more than ever.

#AmericanRide #TobyKeith

I have a 2023 ZR2 with less than 2,000 miles and less than two months of owning it and already have had a lifter failure! Driving on the highway around 70 mph and then I got the blinking check engine light, TC light, ESC light, then front collision warning failure and lane departure failure. Was running rough after that, idling very rough, and blowing white smoke from exhaust at times. I only drove it home when this occurred and to the dealership when they had a loaner available. I had this same failure on my 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X around 60k miles. This pisses me off after only owning it for this long and nothing but highway driving thus far. They are going to replace the lifter that is bad, but my concern is if that is going to address the root cause of the issue and what is going to prevent it from happening again. The fact that this truck is 7 years newer than my last one and a different V8, but there still is an issue that has not been addressed makes me very upset. I have owned three different Camaro’s that have had the 6.2L V8 with no issues and have driven them very hard. Does anyone have any valuable input that will help me ensure that the dealership addresses root cause as much as possible and prevents this from happening in the future?? Thank you.

I have a 2023 ZR2 with less than 2,000 miles and less than two months of owning it and already have had a lifter failure! Driving on the highway around 70 mph and then I got the blinking check engine light, TC light, ESC light, then front collision warning failure and lane departure failure. Was running rough after that, idling very rough, and blowing white smoke from exhaust at times. I only drove it home when this occurred and to the dealership when they had a loaner available. I had this same failure on my 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X around 60k miles. This pisses me off after only owning it for this long and nothing but highway driving thus far. They are going to replace the lifter that is bad, but my concern is if that is going to address the root cause of the issue and what is going to prevent it from happening again. The fact that this truck is 7 years newer than my last one and a different V8, but there still is an issue that has not been addressed makes me very upset. I have owned three different Camaro’s that have had the 6.2L V8 with no issues and have driven them very hard. Does anyone have any valuable input that will help me ensure that the dealership addresses root cause as much as possible and prevents this from happening in the future?? Thank you.
That sucks. But that's also the exact reason why people are upset about it. Sure the percentage is fairly low, but that doesn't mean anything to the people that has it happen to them. Point is it shouldn't still even be an issue. Unfortunately I don't think there is really much you can do. If you get bad ones, you get bad ones. Plenty of people have had a lifter fail even with DFM disabled. I've heard keeping the oil changed helps. But obviously at 2k miles that wasn't a factor.

If you look into how the DFM lifters operate. Honestly I'm surprised they don't all fail.

Seems very random some go early, so go a while, some have 0 problems.

I would recommend changing the oil at 1500 miles. I did mine and my wife's Tahoe and they both had a distinct silver color in oil and in pan. Both filters I cut open and they had plenty of metal shavings. I think with that much stuff in the oil, it doesn't offer optimum protection. I made a thread on oil filter anatomy.

I doubt that any specific failure could be pinned on oil, especially at 2k miles, but may as well eliminate the potential.

that sucks. you are justified in your frustration. most of us are driving 6.2l time bombs. when they go off, who knows. get a good dealer and keep GM corporate in the loop with any issues. best of luck.

Most Member Reactions

Back