Adding leafs or airbags?

zrteton

Reaction score
Has anyone added leafs, timbren/airbags, etc? Beefier sway bars? How are they working out and impacting performance?

The stock tires are rated for 65psi, which is also a factor in carrying heavy loads vs the majority of other HDs taking ~80psi.

I'm contemplating a 3k lb camper (right at the payload max) for my ZR2 that's on order, and figure others have already tried aftermarket solutions to bolster this trucks capacity. Has anyone used their HD ZR2 for a slide in, and if so what camper and how do you like it?

I am installing a set of Super Duty 5000 Air Lift bags and a Wireless One compressor right now. I'll post up some details in a day or two on install. That set up cost about $1300. I think they are a little cheaper on Etrailer.com. They also have a couple of detailed videos on their website installing them on 24 HDs if you want to do it yourself.

I can tell you I've run that same setup in three other HDs and it makes heavy towing and payload a dream.

If your doing a cab over, it's the only way in my opinion. The rear suspension is a little light on these ZR2s, that's why they ride so good. If you don't get some support it, I thing you'll be squatting a whole lot.

I am installing a set of Super Duty 5000 Air Lift bags and a Wireless One compressor right now. I'll post up some details in a day or two on install. That set up cost about $1300. I think they are a little cheaper on Etrailer.com. They also have a couple of detailed videos on their website installing them on 24 HDs if you want to do it yourself.

I can tell you I've run that same setup in three other HDs and it makes heavy towing and payload a dream.

If your doing a cab over, it's the only way in my opinion. The rear suspension is a little light on these ZR2s, that's why they ride so good. If you don't get some support it, I thing you'll be squatting a whole lot.
Do you have a part number for the airbags?

i agree with rear suspension..a little sag with my 375lb quad.

Do you have a part number for the airbags?
There is a 5000 model with a jounce inside and a 7500XL too, if your going heavy. I though that jounce would kill the DSSV suspension and never had it before.

Attachments

• 20240204_125832.jpg
    20240204_125832.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240204_125848.jpg
    20240204_125848.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
There is a 5000 with a bounce inside and a 7500XL too if your going heavy. I though that jounce would kill the DSSV suspension.and never had it before.
Thanks! Would love your thoughts when you get them on!

I'm going the route of a cabover camper as well, and I'm planning to add an airbag to help with the load. My camper is going to be lighter than OP zrteton, likely somewhere around 2200lbs. Just a note that the total payload listed on the gasser truck is around 3300lbs, thats for both axels. The gooseneck tongue weight is listed as 2711lbs, I'm assuming thats closer to the acceptable payload for the bed.

AXE, have you gotten that install done? The Airlift website has a note on that 57341 airbag (and all the airbags that come up when you select a 2024 Silverado 2500HD) that says "WILL NOT FIT ZR2 OR AT4X MODELS". I'm curious if they actually do fit

I'm going the route of a cabover camper as well, and I'm planning to add an airbag to help with the load. My camper is going to be lighter than OP zrteton, likely somewhere around 2200lbs. Just a note that the total payload listed on the gasser truck is around 3300lbs, thats for both axels. The gooseneck tongue weight is listed as 2711lbs, I'm assuming thats closer to the acceptable payload for the bed.

AXE, have you gotten that install done? The Airlift website has a note on that 57341 airbag (and all the airbags that come up when you select a 2024 Silverado 2500HD) that says "WILL NOT FIT ZR2 OR AT4X MODELS". I'm curious if they actually do fit
I have another thread posted with all the install details. They fit fine and seem to work well. I haven't towed anything yet, but have ran them at a lot of different settings to function test.

Not sure why they say they won't fit. Maybe the axle base plate that is removable throws them off. That is the only thing that is different with axle and frame on the ZR2.

Maybe the Multimatic shocks aren't compatible for some reason. Maybe they just never checked a ZR2 and just didn't want to say they are compatible until they tested them.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back