AEV bumper lights

jjc

Reaction score
Has anyone with the Bison edition added lights to the front bumper? Looks like there are a couple spots where they could go!

I haven't, but might. The fog lights on the HD ZR2 are not that great in terms of light output. The standard 1500 ZR2 has much better fog lights in terms of output and distance to the side.

Last edited:
I have an HD Bison. The front lights are installed in mine, but I am not impressed. The rear AEV bumper has two openings, but they look like they are small and a typical 3x3 cube would not fit in there. I too am waiting to see if anyone has added better lights, such as Baja Designs, Rigid, or Diode Dynamics. I asked my dealer if AEV had provided any info on adding items to their bumpers, or offered upgraded lights to buy. Nothing from AEV so far.

... IMG_8009.JPGIMG_8017.JPGIMG_8018.JPG

Has anyone with the Bison edition added lights to the front bumper? Looks like there are a couple spots where they could go!
AEV just came out with brackets to mount lights in the holes of the rear bumper, which I have ordered. I am also working with a gentleman on a bracket to replace. the front stock fog lights. More to come on that.

AEV just came out with brackets to mount lights in the holes of the rear bumper, which I have ordered. I am also working with a gentleman on a bracket to replace. the front stock fog lights. More to come on that.
Are these the same 1500 and 2500HD? It seems like they have same dimensions.

Last edited:
The brackets fit both AEV Bison bumpers the 1500 and 2500.

You gonna run the Baja Design lights or some of the Amazon knockoffs for half price?

I see someone else posted about the front lights and said Baja Designs wouldn't work. I would like to run the same front and rear.

So I was just out doing some comparison and the rear bumpers on the 1500 and 2500HD are the same, but the front bumpers are different. Might make getting the same brand lights installed more difficult on the 2500HD. They should have a plug and play option for both. I would like to have a single harness and a dual switch.

You gonna run the Baja Design lights or some of the Amazon knockoffs for half price?

I see someone else posted about the front lights and said Baja Designs wouldn't work. I would like to run the same front and rear.
I have used Rigids for years, have added 4 Diode Dynamics lights to my Bison and really love them. No Chinese lights for me.

I got the Baja Designs 550006 Squadron lights that AEV recommends. They look like really nice lights. They are also 3 inch edge to edge on the outer frame. They are about 2.75 inches on the inside light housing The cut out on the plastic insert on Bison bumper doesn't look to be 2.5 inches. Not sure how these will mount, but if they require being set behind the plastic cut out you will lose alot of light. Gonna be interesting to see what the install instructions say on the AEV mounts.

I have used Rigids for years, have added 4 Diode Dynamics lights to my Bison and really love them. No Chinese lights for me.
Do you have any pictures you would share? I'm curious how the install went on the rear bumper, cutting the plastic. etc

Reactions: AXE
Do you have any pictures you would share? I'm curious how the install went on the rear bumper, cutting the plastic. etc
I'm probably going to do mine this weekend. I'll post some pictures.

Here's what your dealing with underneath. That white paper is the template for the Baja Designs Squadron lights. If you just cut the square out from behind the plastic insert, you lose a lot of light. But if you cut much more, you'll lose the integrity of the plastic and the ability to attach it to the adjacent piece.

I might leave the shitty plastic pieces off. I'm gonna see what the bumper looks like without them. I might have a fab shop weld in some metal fittings and get rid of that horrible ill fitting plastic. It'll probably cost a lot, if you can even find someone willing to do it. It traps so much dirt and sand it's all stuck under the trim. It'll eventually wear through and start to rust. Very cheap bits on expensive bumpers.

Attachments

• 20240222_165739.jpg
    20240222_165739.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20240222_170229.jpg
    20240222_170229.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240222_171350.jpg
    20240222_171350.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240222_165932.jpg
    20240222_165932.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240222_170258.jpg
    20240222_170258.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240222_170636.jpg
    20240222_170636.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I'm probably going to do mine this weekend. I'll post some pictures.

Here's what your dealing with underneath. That white paper is the template for the Baja Designs Squadron lights. If you just cut the square out from behind the plastic insert, you lose a lot of light. But if you cut much more, you'll lose the integrity of the plastic and the ability to attach it to the adjacent piece.

I might leave the shitty plastic pieces off. I'm gonna see what the bumper looks like without them. I might have a fab shop weld in some metal fittings and get rid of that horrible ill fitting plastic. It'll probably cost a lot, if you can even find someone willing to do it. It traps so much dirt and sand it's all stuck under the trim. It'll eventually wear through and start to rust. Very cheap bits on expensive bumpers.
I wondering if a flush mount would work. The lights would sit on the outer portion of the opening. Don't know if you put the screws in metal or just the plastic insert. I think that may be an option. I used the SS3 Diode Dynamics MAX in the front bumper openings and they do sit back. When the lights are on, I can't tell if the position blocks any of the light (other than the tow hooks).

Attachments

• IMG_8363.JPG
    IMG_8363.JPG
    479.5 KB · Views: 65

I posted that because the Baja bracket only has a hole in the center. Some other makers, Diode Dynamics and Rigid have slots so you can move the mount position side to side if needed.

Most Member Reactions

Back