AEV bumper lights

I wondering if a flush mount would work. The lights would sit on the outer portion of the opening. Don't know if you put the screws in metal or just the plastic insert. I think that may be an option. I used the SS3 Diode Dynamics MAX in the front bumper openings and they do sit back. When the lights are on, I can't tell if the position blocks any of the light (other than the tow hooks).
I thought about that, but that plastic is pretty flimsy. When you pull it off, it's actually a little floppy.

I'm probably going to do mine this weekend. I'll post some pictures.

Here's what your dealing with underneath. That white paper is the template for the Baja Designs Squadron lights. If you just cut the square out from behind the plastic insert, you lose a lot of light. But if you cut much more, you'll lose the integrity of the plastic and the ability to attach it to the adjacent piece.

I might leave the shitty plastic pieces off. I'm gonna see what the bumper looks like without them. I might have a fab shop weld in some metal fittings and get rid of that horrible ill fitting plastic. It'll probably cost a lot, if you can even find someone willing to do it. It traps so much dirt and sand it's all stuck under the trim. It'll eventually wear through and start to rust. Very cheap bits on expensive bumpers.
Thanks, this is very helpful. What are you using to cut the plastic so it looks nice and clean?

Is it me or was this made more complicated than it needed to be?

I wondering if a flush mount would work. The lights would sit on the outer portion of the opening. Don't know if you put the screws in metal or just the plastic insert. I think that may be an option. I used the SS3 Diode Dynamics MAX in the front bumper openings and they do sit back. When the lights are on, I can't tell if the position blocks any of the light (other than the tow hooks).
Those look really good, do you have them wired to their own switch?

I installed my rear Baja Designs lights. It was tedious as hell trying to get the AEV lights mounts and lights situated in the cutout. Eventually I got them, but both sides mounted slightly differently.

I trimmed the plastic cutout using a Dremel cutoff wheel. Start by just cutting off the very back at the bevel. Then trim up the edges with a utility knife and test fit. I needed to remove more matetial so then I used a die grinder and sanding disc. It was almost perfect after removing another 2 mm. Then had to take 1 mm on the outer edges as the lights aren't perfectly square.

They ended up looking pretty good, but you cut off the edges of the LED lenses.

They seem to give off plenty of light. I'd give the whole thing about 7/10 as it shouldn't be so difficult to get a clean install with an expensive bumper.

Attachments

• 20240225_155452.jpg
    20240225_155452.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240225_155318.jpg
    20240225_155318.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240225_160857.jpg
    20240225_160857.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240225_165801.jpg
    20240225_165801.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240225_165735.jpg
    20240225_165735.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240225_173120.jpg
    20240225_173120.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I installed my rear Baja Designs lights. It was tedious as hell trying to get the AEV lights mounts and lights situated in the cutout. Eventually I got them, but both sides mounted slightly differently.

I trimmed the plastic cutout using a Dremel cutoff wheel. Start by just cutting off the very back at the bevel. Then trim up the edges with a utility knife and test fit. I needed to remove mare matetial so then I used a die grinder and sanding disc. It was almost perfect after removing another 2 mm. Then had to take 1 mm on the outer edges as the lights aren't perfectly square.

They seem to give off plenty of light. I'd give the whole thing about 7/10 as it shouldn't be so difficult to get a clean install with an expensive bumper.
Looks like you did a clean job! (y)

Looks like you did a clean job! (y)
Thank you! It ended up a little better than I thought and they'll do the job. The lights are the real winner, as they are very well built. So we'll see how it looks in 5 years.

You definitely have to go slow and make adjustments. I took the left light off twice to adjust and the right one once. I still think left needs to go up about 2 mm, might pull it again and grind out the bolt holes in the mount so I can get it a little higher. Right maybe down 1 mm. It took me three times to fit each side of the plastic. It is an imperfect setup for sure.

Last edited:

I trimmed the plastic cutout using a Dremel cutoff wheel. Start by just cutting off the very back at the bevel. Then trim up the edges with a utility knife and test fit. I needed to remove mare matetial so then I used a die grinder and sanding disc. It was almost perfect after removing another 2 mm. Then had to take 1 mm on the outer edges as the lights aren't perfectly square.

Thanks for sharing, they look awesome! Did you wire them to their own switch or tap into reverse or cargo lighting?

Reactions: AXE
Thanks for sharing, they look awesome! Did you wire them to their own switch or tap into reverse or cargo lighting?
Separate switch, I mainly use them when backing up hooking or unhooking trailers when I am in the desert or forest or lake.
Wanted to be able to run them by themselves.

I used the Baja Designs pre wired harness with the relay and switch. The harness is not long enough so you have to splice in another run of 16 awg wire. It's a long truck, so damn near 20+ feet of wire to get to far light corner light.

Last edited:
Separate switch, I mainly use them when backing up hooking or unhooking trailers when I am in the desert or forest or lake.
Wanted to be able to run them by themselves.

I used the Baja Designs pre wired harness with the relay and switch. The harness is not long enough so you have to splice in another run of 16 awg wire. It's a long truck, so damn near 20+ feet of wire to get to far light corner light.

Geez, that's a good run of wire. I'm trying to decide which direction to go in. Do you see any reason I couldn't connect them in to work with the cargo Lights?

Geez, that's a good run of wire. I'm trying to decide which direction to go in. Do you see any reason I couldn't connect them in to work with the cargo Lights?
I think you could, but there's alwways risk. The main thing that Baja Designs states is that it requires 16 AWG wire for the lights to function. If the cargo or back up light wires are too small for the amp draw, you'll torch them. Them you'll be replacing the whole harness.

Also you can't control them separately unless you run a separate relay and switch too. I use mine less for routine backing and more for trails and hooking/unhooking trailers in the dark.

There are aftermarket LED bulbs that make the backup lights much better. Might want to try them for just routine backing.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back