Air Filter Question

TwoTons

Reaction score
TLDR; I tried the search, but didn't have any luck, I guess "air" is too common. So anyway, I'm very curious what the correct air filter part number is.

I ran into a bit of a weird anomaly while doing my oil change today. The first service was free, done by the dealer where I bought it, as each truck comes with a free service. No big deal. I normally do my own basic maintenance, as I'm sure many of you do. The oil life was down to 15% or so, so I figured I'd get that out of the way. The air filter was only at 55%, but figured it wasn't too expensive, so I'd change it too. Did the cabin filter while I was at it. Why not.

So I get everything done but the air filter, and I open up the box and pull it out and notice there's a pre-filter on it. The new one from Fram does not have this... and neither do any of the other brands at the auto parts store. I went ahead and put the Fram in, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the actual part number was, or if I need to come up with my own prefilter media and cut it to fit? Seems unlikely, but I'm not ruling it out just yet.

It doesn't really look like it in the picture, but the 2 types of filter media are glued together on the AC Delco. Factory AC Delco on the left, Fram on the right. The pleated parts are the same depth, and they both have about 100 or so pleats.

Anybody have a favorite factory replacement they can recommend? Air filters aren't the new hotness or anything (unless you're replacing the whole airbox), but I like to keep it fresh.

Please forgive the dustiness of the whole situation. It's the first day above freezing in a while.

1706917098447.png

I guess I should add a few more details, the trucks aren't all the same anymore are they. Hah.

2022, 6.2L.

I use K&N filters. Either the oiled or dry, your preference. I figured the pre filter is why GM says it has a heavy duty filter.

That pre-filter isn't really doing much filtering, except for coarse material. It'll prevent the filter pleats from plugging up due to bugs, sand, leaves, etc. If you change your filter frequently it won't matter so long as you got a decent filter.

Years ago someone tested the stock Duramax filter against all the aftermarket filters and the stock AC Delco filter performed better.

I think you're on to something AXE, there were quite a large number of little bugs in the pre-filter before I banged them into a shrub... I didn't figure it was doing too much, but I'll get the actual right one in there next time.

I'm also not a fan of oiled air filters, I've seen too many MAF sensors fouled up from filter oil to risk it. I'm sure they're perfectly safe if done right, I'm just sticking with dry. I've also seen a lot of people use them with no issues whatsoever. No knocking them, just not for me.

And not to get into an air filter argument, but I think AXE and I may have seen the same test. GM's AC Delco filters are pretty amazing - and I'm kind of bummed I managed to mangle up the part number and end up with the wrong FRAM on cross-reference. That's what I get for letting the computer be tell me it fits without checking if it is the same part. Lesson learned.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and getting me sorted out so quickly.

First time I seen those pre filter was back in 2015 on a Duramax. I used a couple of those and then decided I didn't want to pay $35 for them. I ended up running one for those AEM dry flow filter like securityguy posted. It's been in there for 8 years and still seems to be good. Always collects a lot of dust when I washed it. It was hard to get the bugs out cause the mesh screen seemed to hold them tight. I always soaked it for about an hour and in warm water and dish soap and it would clean out nicely. Cleaned it 2 to 3 times per year depending if I was running in really dusty areas.

I've used oil filters and they work well too. Trick is to clean them good, let them dry really well, then re oil with two separate light coats of oil. Each coat needs time to wick through the filter media. Otherwise you end up over oiling and it causes problems. Takes a lot of time to do right. I wouldn't run one now and the dry flow filters are better and easier to maintain.

Easiest is putting in a new one in 5 minutes with no cleaning......maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:
I've always just ran Ac Delco filters. They work well and aren't expensive.

No one likes cleaning those reusable filters. 9 out of 10 times when you come across one its really dirty. Probably because it's a hassle, so it gets put off, lol. I just toss a new paper one in every other oil change while the oil is draining.

I've always just ran Ac Delco filters. They work well and aren't expensive.

No one likes cleaning those reusable filters. 9 out of 10 times when you come across one its really dirty. Probably because it's a hassle, so it gets put off, lol. I just toss a new paper one in every other oil change while the oil is draining.
I clean mine every 5k miles, when i change oil. It's amazing how much dirt comes out. It's dry and dusty out west, so they do fill up. It takes about 2 hours to clean. Hour to soak and rinse, then an hour to drain/dry in the sun. It's still damp sometimes when it's cool. That's where it becomes a bit of a hassle.

First time I seen those pre filter was back in 2015 on a Duramax. I used a couple of those and then decided I didn't want to pay $35 for them. I ended up running one for those AEM dry flow filter like securityguy posted. It's been in there for 8 years and still seems to be good. Always collects a lot of dust when I washed it. It was hard to get the bugs out cause the mesh screen seemed to hold them tight. I always soaked it for about an hour and in warm water and dish soap and it would clean out nicely. Cleaned it 2 to 3 times per year depending if I was running in really dusty areas.

I've used oil filters and they work well too. Trick is to clean them good, let them dry really well, then re oil with two separate light coats of oil. Each coat needs time to wick through the filter media. Otherwise you end up over oiling and it causes problems. Takes a lot of time to do right. I wouldn't run one now and the dry flow filters are better and easier to maintain.

Easiest is putting in a new one in 5 minutes with no cleaning......maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Axe is spot on for how to maintain an oiled filter. That is how I have always done mine and never had an issue. I biy two, and then have one ready to drop in and then have time to correctly clean and oil the other.

In the conditions I run in the oiled filters are not the best to use. Am in the high desert in NM was at the ranch this past week as they are drilling and on 2 days had a high wind warnings. On Thursday 65mph gusts and Friday 75mph. The dust, sand and small rocks even hurt your skin. I stopped using the oiled filters quite a while ago when even new ones two different brands were letting in some dirt/dust as evidenced on the inside of the post filter intake.

In the conditions I run in the oiled filters are not the best to use. Am in the high desert in NM was at the ranch this past week as they are drilling and on 2 days had a high wind warnings. On Thursday 65mph gusts and Friday 75mph. The dust, sand and small rocks even hurt your skin. I stopped using the oiled filters quite a while ago when even new ones two different brands were letting in some dirt/dust as evidenced on the inside of the post filter intake.
Oiled filters are actually known for not filtering well which is why I have stayed clear of them since the late 90's. Even if the oiled filter was oiled perfectly, I still believe, and have read numerous studies, were a high quality dry filter, like my AEM is superior to that of oiled versions. Everyone has their preference and will do what they want.

I clean mine every 5k miles, when i change oil. It's amazing how much dirt comes out. It's dry and dusty out west, so they do fill up. It takes about 2 hours to clean. Hour to soak and rinse, then an hour to drain/dry in the sun. It's still damp sometimes when it's cool. That's where it becomes a bit of a hassle.

Oiled filters are actually known for not filtering well which is why I have stayed clear of them since the late 90's. Even if the oiled filter was oiled perfectly, I still believe, and have read numerous studies, were a high quality dry filter, like my AEM is superior to that of oiled versions. Everyone has their preference and will do what they want.
I can tell you for a fact they let dust through, lol. I use to offroad a lot with a SxS club for years. I've seen several engines dusted because of K&N and similar style filters. They are not good for dusty off road conditions. But honestly dust is everywhere, so I don't trust them period.

Like you said easy to spot. Remove the filter and wipe a clean cloth on the intake/throttle body. Doesn't take much to eat away at the rings. They Start burning oil and losing compression.

Most Member Reactions

Back