Air Filters at 10k

AXE

Reaction score
I changed out my air filters for motor intake at 10k on the Silverado and Tahoe. I was surprised the filters weren't very dirty on either one, compared to other vehicles. It's dry and dusty in these parts. I usually have sand and grit in the bottom of the air box, but they were clean.

I think the intake coming up by the front of radiator makes for cleaner air as opposed to coming through the sidewall behind the well.

For some reason the Tahoe did not have the prefilter, so it definitely had more debris deep in the pleats.

Plenty of light still passing through pleats. Peats still felt pliable, but did tear pretty easily when i bent them. Between the hiigh ambient temps around here and the motor temps they do tend to bake in there and some filters get hard and brittle.

I do think you could run these 15k with minimal concern. Just check it every 5k and make the call.

The filter in the middle is a new one for comparison.

Attachments

• 20240330_110326.jpg
    20240330_110326.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240330_110412.jpg
    20240330_110412.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 19
The cabin filters were way dirtier, with lots of fine sand, silt, and dust. Again the Tahoe had an activated charcoal filter and the ZR2 was just a standard filter. I replaced both with the standard filters, as I think they flow better so fan is more effective.

$25 on Amazon, they are worth about $10. The Walmart Supertech filters are the same and also made in USA.
Might do those from now on.

Attachments

• 20240330_180357.jpg
    20240330_180357.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 16
The cabin filters were way dirtier, with lots of fine sand, silt, and dust. Again the Tahoe had an activated charcoal filter and the ZR2 was just a standard filter. I replaced both with the standard filters, as I think they flow better so fan is more effective.

$25 on Amazon, they are worth about $10. The Walmart Supertech filters are the same and also made in USA.
Might do those from now on.
i replaced my cabin at 5k.

i replaced my cabin at 5k.
Do your filters get darker in the higher humidity out there?

I feel like the activated charcoal might be better in higher humidity environments.

Most Member Reactions

Back