Armor All Ceramic Tire Coating ruined my paint

Grinks22

Reaction score
New to the forum and just wanting to let everyone know to be very careful if you try armor all’s ceramic tire coating. I have been an faithful armor all user for decades. Really like their interior cleaner and natural finish interior Detailer. I usually use their extreme shine tire foam as well. Thought I would try the newer ceramic tire coating hoping to get a little longer shine. I followed the directions, put 2 coats on about 1 hour apart. I let it sit on the tires for about 6 hours and gave it a look. The coating was really splotchy and didn’t look too good. Decided to let it sit overnight and it looked a little better, but I blotted the little bit that didn’t dry completely and tried to get the streaks off. Looked okay, not as good as the foam. Drove to work and got out and had some sling and my truck. Grabbed my quick detailer and microfiber towel I keep with me and tried to get the sling off. It was too late, it had already stained my paint. Took it to my body shop and he tried 2 different things to remove the stains and nothing. He’s going to try to wet sand it, but is pretty sure I’m going to have to have the front door repainted. Thankfully it’s only really bad on the driver side with 2 very small stain dots on the passenger side. I contacted armor all and they are considering paying for some or all of the repair. Very disappointed, I’ve had the truck 3 weeks and had to wait over 6 months to get it. Just want everyone to be aware of the possible paint damage.

Attachments

• 475FA720-B460-40EE-A78A-62EA1FA98521.jpeg
    475FA720-B460-40EE-A78A-62EA1FA98521.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 0ED78C65-B705-4EAB-8ECA-B079BE39E50D.jpeg
    0ED78C65-B705-4EAB-8ECA-B079BE39E50D.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 287
  • A20BFFD9-EB1F-42DA-AFAC-C16247F323D4.jpeg
    A20BFFD9-EB1F-42DA-AFAC-C16247F323D4.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 286
New to the forum and just wanting to let everyone know to be very careful if you try armor all’s ceramic tire coating. I have been an faithful armor all user for decades. Really like their interior cleaner and natural finish interior Detailer. I usually use their extreme shine tire foam as well. Thought I would try the newer ceramic tire coating hoping to get a little longer shine. I followed the directions, put 2 coats on about 1 hour apart. I let it sit on the tires for about 6 hours and gave it a look. The coating was really splotchy and didn’t look too good. Decided to let it sit overnight and it looked a little better, but I blotted the little bit that didn’t dry completely and tried to get the streaks off. Looked okay, not as good as the foam. Drove to work and got out and had some sling and my truck. Grabbed my quick detailer and microfiber towel I keep with me and tried to get the sling off. It was too late, it had already stained my paint. Took it to my body shop and he tried 2 different things to remove the stains and nothing. He’s going to try to wet sand it, but is pretty sure I’m going to have to have the front door repainted. Thankfully it’s only really bad on the driver side with 2 very small stain dots on the passenger side. I contacted armor all and they are considering paying for some or all of the repair. Very disappointed, I’ve had the truck 3 weeks and had to wait over 6 months to get it. Just want everyone to be aware of the possible paint damage.
Sorry...but ArmorAll is, and always has been, a crappy product. There are FAR better products on the market.

I definitely think it’s a matter of opinion. I’ve tried a lot of different brands (meguiars, mothers, chemical guys, griots garage) and for tire stuff and interior detailing, I’ve stuck with armor all. I’m always open to try new products if you have any suggestions. I was mostly just trying to give people a heads up on what this particular product has the potential to do so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Thanks for the heads up and you are correct it is a matter of personal opinion. I use their interior products and been pleased.

This is a good thread for awareness regarding ceramic products and clear coat. Not just armor all.

Cerakote trim coat is also an aggressive ceramic sealant. Arguably the best “back to black” product on the market bar none.

But it will absolutely etch the shit out of clear coat (like the pictures you have posted) if left to dry on paint without wipeoff.

I’ve made a few small mistakes with it in the past. Luckily those instances didn’t etch dirt in.

Exercise extreme caution with any products that are a true ceramic sealant and not just marketing on a spray wax bottle.

I would see what 1000 grit does for you at that shop. It’s small areas and in the “rock guard”. It shouldn’t be noticeable enough to justify painting the door.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with AmorAll in the past. I use mostly Meguiars and 303 Protectant now.
I use Meguiars products on the tires with no issues.
Have to tried Acetone? Or CRC Citrus cleaner/degreaser?

If you all want to try some great tire shines, here are a few examples of what I use and have tried that beat anything else I've found in the market. The Exforma is the most expensive and most difficult to apply. However the results last several months. The other two have good durability and are easy to use.

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

I've had good luck with AmorAll in the past. I use mostly Meguiars and 303 Protectant now.
I use Meguiars products on the tires with no issues.
Have to tried Acetone? Or CRC Citrus cleaner/degreaser?
Acetone or CRC to get the stains off. Not on the tires.

Body shop tried a citrus based cleaner and another compound and it didn’t do anything. Hoping he can wet sand it out, I’ll hopefully know tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestions.

I dont know if this would work in your situation but i remember having some ceramic coating on my car that for the life of me wouldnt come off. I found a video where the guy recommended using brake and wheel cleaner diluted with water....like a 3 parts water to 1 part cleaner solution and then using a claybar to remove the coating. I never tried it as i sold the car but could be worth a shot.

I definitely think it’s a matter of opinion. I’ve tried a lot of different brands (meguiars, mothers, chemical guys, griots garage) and for tire stuff and interior detailing, I’ve stuck with armor all. I’m always open to try new products if you have any suggestions. I was mostly just trying to give people a heads up on what this particular product has the potential to do so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.
Give Carpro products a try. Been using them for years and none of them will cause any damage to any part of the vehicle. Amazon sells them. Good luck.

Last edited:
I appreciate the brake cleaner suggestion, but I think at this point I’m going to leave it up to my body shop guy, I’ve done enough damage. I will give a couple of these suggested products a try. Always looking for something new to try. As wutang61 said, there are more companies than armor all making products that can damage clear coat, this has definitely made me way more cautious of what I put on my tires. I think I’m going with water based products from now on.

I appreciate the brake cleaner suggestion, but I think at this point I’m going to leave it up to my body shop guy, I’ve done enough damage. I will give a couple of these suggested products a try. Always looking for something new to try. As wutang61 said, there are more companies than armor all making products that can damage clear coat, this has definitely made me way more cautious of what I put on my tires. I think I’m going with water based products from now on.
Carpro Pearl is the tire shine and it is water-based and never slings. Long lasting too!

Hello,

I was wondering if you found a solution to these stains. Same thing happened to me a couple days ago. Trying to figure out what to do.

It’s been over a month and I have jumped through all of their hoops. Sent pictures of damage and actual can that I used along with 2 estimates for repair. I just sent the can in for them to test and then they are supposed to get back to me. It’s been a big pain, but it’s $600 to fix properly, so I’m doing what they ask to see what they will do. There are other people that have had the same problem and I sent a few of those posts to them as well. My advice is to do what I did and start a claim with them with the information on the can or visit the website and use the contact us information to start the conversation. It’s a pain, but worth a shot. I’ll post any new updates, sending my can in tomorrow.

Hey crazo27, just wondering if you contacted armor all about your situation?

I just had the exact same problem! I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I reached out to armor all last night and going to contact a couple detail shops Monday? How have you made out?

Most Member Reactions

Back