AWE Exhaust Question

bangzr2

Reaction score
My mechanic believes the factory exhaust that’s crushed under the transmission was designed that way to help to dissipate the heat and AWE exhaust could cause heat issues on he transmission and cause a catastrophic failure.

Anyone who has the AWE experience excessive heat from their transmission? Should I be worried?

I watched some videos and wonder if it’s the pipe runs under the engine oil pan?

Last edited:
That's a very interesting concern. I have AWE exhaust on my ZR2 but I don't have transmission temperature values before and after to compare... I can at least tell you that I haven't had any failures or temperature issues that I know of since the install. I also only have maybe 1k miles since the install.

That's a very interesting concern. I have AWE exhaust on my ZR2 but I don't have transmission temperature values before and after to compare... I can at least tell you that I haven't had any failures or temperature issues that I know of since the install. I also only have maybe 1k miles since the install.
I've already made the decision to have my AWE exhaust installed next week and from what I've researched there hasn't been any issues or complaints with AWE and rising transmission temperature. Then again, are people checking?

I'll post my stock transmission temperature when I leave work. Perhaps you can share your current transmission temperature. The mechanic did mention that was the reason why other exhaust manufactures went with the single pipe and kept the stock crushed pipe.

I'm not a mechanic but does our transmission also get cooled down by the radiator? I also wonder if adding a transmission cooler is required?

You've made a good decision. I don't think people are checking, but I can post my temps later for you. He could be onto something, but I am not a mechanic either and doubt it would cause issues. I highly doubt we need a transmission cooler.

I took a look at the front end and there is a 2nd large radiator. I’m feeling better that it’s the transmission cooler and I don’t think we need to worry. I also don’t plan on going off roading or pulling a trailer. If I did an extra fan could help. Long as cool air gets through the radiator.

My transmission temp was at 155F with 50 minutes of driving with the stock exhaust.

you won't have a problem with the trans overheating from the cat back. the majority of the transmissions heat it generates itself

Probably a multitude of reasons it’s “flattened”. Clearance to remove the pan is the first thing that comes to mind.

Unless they never learned from past mistakes with the 6L80E and the interference fit exhaust that would not allow removal of the pan without dropping the crossover.

You also have to remember that air is moving under the truck. Radiant heat is something to consider but fluid is also seriously moving in that pan. If you pulled a line with the truck running it would be a mini firehose.

If it is something that concerns you, heat wrap or JET-HOTing the crossover pipe are all options.

you would see melted down transmissions all over the place here in the southwest if radiant heat was such a big factor. Being a truck it's also higher off the ground meaning plenty of ventilation

Last edited:
WOW! I had my exhaust installed today and it’s impressive.

I hope I don’t make enemies with my neighbors as I do get up very early in the mornings for work.

I also appreciate all the positive feedback and the worry was just an over kill by my mechanic.

I hope I don’t make enemies with my neighbors as I do get up very early in the mornings for work.

I also appreciate all the positive feedback and the worry was just an over kill by my mechanic.
How much lower does it hang vice the flattened one? Is it closer to the transmission to maintain the ground clearance or same distance away from transmission?

The smashed pipe is done for clearance reasons. It does give more room between the transmission and the exhaust, but it also puts the exhaust up even with the frame. Transmission Temps aren't going to be any kind of a problem driving around unloaded in the winter. Transmissions tend to heat up while towing, especially on inclines. Ofcourse outside Temps also make a difference.

Moving the exhaust closer to the transmission probably isn't great for Temps. But I doubt it makes a huge impact. Maybe with a lot of low speed crawling it could be a concern.

I had my AWE exhaust installed by an exhaust specialized shop I have used for 20 years and they didn't mention being worried about any heat. Also when having it professionally installed they should be welding the exhaust together not using the bolt on method that will eventually leak.

I had my AWE exhaust installed by an exhaust specialized shop I have used for 20 years and they didn't mention being worried about any heat. Also when having it professionally installed they should be welding the exhaust together not using the bolt on method that will eventually leak.
Exactly...I hate clamps!

Wow is an understatement, every time I start it I laugh. Congrats on the new exhaust…it’s unreal. I really want to hear it side by side with the Escalade V….

How much lower does it hang vice the flattened one? Is it closer to the transmission to maintain the ground clearance or same distance away from transmission?

Unsure how much

Attachments

• FB27F94B-CB43-454E-BC19-9921B7F41DE8.jpeg
    FB27F94B-CB43-454E-BC19-9921B7F41DE8.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 6B043E7A-5905-4530-9736-D0AA4A79F51F.jpeg
    6B043E7A-5905-4530-9736-D0AA4A79F51F.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 74
I’m having remorse installing the AWE. It’s too loud for my comfort. I thought I would enjoy it over time but I’m hating it. The worse is I can’t get it back to stock. The scrape people already got to my stock exhaust.

I’m having remorse installing the AWE. It’s too loud for my comfort. I thought I would enjoy it over time but I’m hating it. The worse is I can’t get it back to stock. The scrape people already got to my stock exhaust.
sell it and try the borla

sell it and try the borla
I need to find someone who has original stock pieces and have it welded back to my truck. I knew I should have kept them. Anyone in Maryland and know a good welder? I could offer a fair trade.

I need to find someone who has original stock pieces and have it welded back to my truck. I knew I should have kept them. Anyone in Maryland and know a good welder? I could offer a fair trade.
any respectable exhaust shop could weld that up no problem

Put resonators on it to tame it a bit.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back