AWE Exhaust Question

I’m having remorse installing the AWE. It’s too loud for my comfort. I thought I would enjoy it over time but I’m hating it. The worse is I can’t get it back to stock. The scrape people already got to my stock exhaust.
Keep us in the loop on what you end up doing. I am close to wanting to get rid of my awe as well…it’s just so loud…if it was my daily, I would have already switch it out….

Keep us in the loop on what you end up doing. I am close to wanting to get rid of my awe as well…it’s just so loud…if it was my daily, I would have already switch it out….
Put a resonator on it to quiet it down...that's all you need to do. Borla offers resonators for this exact same situation.

Put resonators on it to tame it a bit.
Put a resonator on it to quiet it down...that's all you need to do. Borla offers resonators for this exact same situation.
Good call, I will research. Think I should make the call of shame to AWE and have them handle (I live close to their HQ and their partner installed)?

Good call, I will research. Think I should make the call of shame to AWE and have them handle (I live close to their HQ and their partner installed)?
I just sent them an email about my mistake and if they could give an idea how to fix it. It would be great if they had a muffler that was right in the middle. Louder than stock but not loud with their current configuration.

I'll look into the Borla resonators too but not sure how to get it installed. I'm guessing I would need two resonators and where to place it.

I just sent them an email about my mistake and if they could give an idea how to fix it. It would be great if they had a muffler that was right in the middle. Louder than stock but not loud with their current configuration.

I'll look into the Borla resonators too but not sure how to get it installed. I'm guessing I would need two resonators and where to place it.
Let me know and I am happy to stop by there and chat with them.

Let me know and I am happy to stop by there and chat with them.
I sent you a chat. I did some research and I wonder if AWE could come up with an H-Pipe replacement with resonators? I'm sure they could sell that to other customers too.

Agree with you but ultimately that’s what resonators should do for you so agree with others on the thread, try that before ripping everything out and starting over. Any muffler shop can do the install, super easy to cut and weld in resonators. The longer you go with them, the more reduction you should get. Borla has 10” but I believe MBRP has like 14” and even 18” options as well. You will need a 3” inlet and outlet as well.

Agree with you but ultimately that’s what resonators should do for you so agree with others on the thread, try that before ripping everything out and starting over. Any muffler shop can do the install, super easy to cut and weld in resonators. The longer you go with them, the more reduction you should get. Borla has 10” but I believe MBRP has like 14” and even 18” options as well. You will need a 3” inlet and outlet as well.
I don't know what to look for in a resonator. All I want is something louder than stock but definitely quieter than the AWE I have now.

So, the longer the resonator the lower the DB?

Here is what I found with Borla. https://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/401343/10002/-1

I don't know what to look for in a resonator. All I want is something louder than stock but definitely quieter than the AWE I have now.

So, the longer the resonator the lower the DB?

Here is what I found with Borla. https://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/401343/10002/-1
Yes, generally speaking that’s the rule of thumb (increased length, reduced decibels). I got a Borla Type S muffler and left the stock resonator, it sounds great but too loud for a daily and way too loud for my wife. I’m going to add a resonator, most likely the following… https://www.borla.com/products/cratemuffler-400939

You can use any brand so if you want to go longer/more reduction maybe look at MBRP or something similar. You can also just stop by a reputable exhaust shop and ask them, they do this stuff day in day out and I can guarantee you that you aren’t the first nor will be the last guy that comes to them for help with this problem! It’s just part of finding the right sound for you, a bit experimental. (Asking on a forum is all relative, there are many on this forum that will say my current setup is what they like, maybe even too quiet as many went with the Borla ATAK which is even louder and love it. That’s awesome for them, just not what I personally am wanting so I’m experimenting a bit)

It’s not a big deal I guess is what I’m saying, you can experiment a bit and get it figured out so don’t sweat it. Opportunity to learn a bit and get your setup up dialed in. Good luck 👍

Yes, generally speaking that’s the rule of thumb (increased length, reduced decibels). I got a Borla Type S muffler and left the stock resonator, it sounds great but too loud for a daily and way too loud for my wife. I’m going to add a resonator, most likely the following… https://www.borla.com/products/cratemuffler-400939

You can use any brand so if you want to go longer/more reduction maybe look at MBRP or something similar. You can also just stop by a reputable exhaust shop and ask them, they do this stuff day in day out and I can guarantee you that you aren’t the first nor will be the last guy that comes to them for help with this problem! It’s just part of finding the right sound for you, a bit experimental. (Asking on a forum is all relative, there are many on this forum that will say my current setup is what they like, maybe even too quiet as many went with the Borla ATAK which is even louder and love it. That’s awesome for them, just not what I personally am wanting so I’m experimenting a bit)

It’s not a big deal I guess is what I’m saying, you can experiment a bit and get it figured out so don’t sweat it. Opportunity to learn a bit and get your setup up dialed in. Good luck 👍
I appreciate the help and I spent the entire morning and afternoon on the phone and visiting muffler shops. I also called AWE. I was told I needed to break in the exhaust and allow the carbon to build up in the walls of the pipe and then I'll see a reduction in the exhaust volume. If that didn't happen I was told I could add resonators.

I read some post about giving some time and you would hear a difference but others mentioned it was our hearing getting use to the noise. I know I won't get use to it.

So, I ended up getting the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator from Amazon and I've already scheduled to have it installed in a few days. I hope it works.

At this point I'm willing to offer my AWE for a complete cat back stock exhaust. But that would be impossible to do now. Hopefully, in the future I can find a totaled ZR2 in the future and put the truck back to original.

I’m in Northern VA, let me contact our regional GM parts rep and see if I can order the exhaust for you. I know for a fact you can order the borla exhaust direct from your local GM/Chevy dealer’s parts shop and have them install all for around $2,400. Give me the week.

I’m in Northern VA, let me contact our regional GM parts rep and see if I can order the exhaust for you. I know for a fact you can order the borla exhaust direct from your local GM/Chevy dealer’s parts shop and have them install all for around $2,400. Give me the week.
Sorry, that won't help. I bought the AWE kit and that requires cutting from the cat back. All my parts from stock are gone. I didn't keep them like an idiot.

Sorry, that won't help. I bought the AWE kit and that requires cutting from the cat back. All my parts from stock are gone. I didn't keep them like an idiot.
I recommend ordering the GM/Borla exhaust system and installing that and returning w/ AWE. It’s probably 1/4-1/2 as loud.

I'm glad some guys like it, but anyone who doesn't like LOUD exhaust should diffenitly skip the AWE. It's louder then no muffler at all lol. You also cut the factory Y pipe, so going back isn't that easy to do. I swapped the stock muffler for a Borla Atak muffler. Muffler was 270 and I knew going in if I didn't like it I could just swap the muffler.

This is not true, we went from AWE to back to stock with minimal effort and paid a welder $200. We got a lemon ZR2 and GM wanted it back to stock, they had no complaints with the welding and settled in full. You just need to keep your stock exhaust.

I appreciate the help and I spent the entire morning and afternoon on the phone and visiting muffler shops. I also called AWE. I was told I needed to break in the exhaust and allow the carbon to build up in the walls of the pipe and then I'll see a reduction in the exhaust volume. If that didn't happen I was told I could add resonators.

I read some post about giving some time and you would hear a difference but others mentioned it was our hearing getting use to the noise. I know I won't get use to it.

So, I ended up getting the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator from Amazon and I've already scheduled to have it installed in a few days. I hope it works.

At this point I'm willing to offer my AWE for a complete cat back stock exhaust. But that would be impossible to do now. Hopefully, in the future I can find a totaled ZR2 in the future and put the truck back to original.
I would encourage taking one step at a time, try the resonators you have ordered and allow more break in before offering an exhaust swap. There’s a solution here, a bit of patience and you can get it lined out. Again, best of luck.

I would encourage taking one step at a time, try the resonators you have ordered and allow more break in before offering an exhaust swap. There’s a solution here, a bit of patience and you can get it lined out. Again, best of luck.
THIS^^^ You should be VERY happy once you have the resonators installed.

This is not true, we went from AWE to back to stock with minimal effort and paid a welder $200. We got a lemon ZR2 and GM wanted it back to stock, they had no complaints with the welding and settled in full. You just need to keep your stock exhaust.
Totally agree. My muffler is being cut out later this week and a Borla ATAK crate muffler installed in its place. With the OEM resonators, it should sound just like a Type S and I am excited to get it done. However, if it's too "loud" for my liking, I'll cut it out and buy a Borla Type S crate muffler which should reduce it to a Touring level and call it a day!

I just got back from NC and 24 hours later my ZR2 is now back with stock exhaust. I decided throwing more money into resonators may not achieve the outcome I wanted and I learned it was the droning that I hated. Thanks to the forum I was able to swap them out.

Most Member Reactions

Back