AWE Exhaust Question

Totally agree. My muffler is being cut out later this week and a Borla ATAK crate muffler installed in its place. With the OEM resonators, it should sound just like a Type S and I am excited to get it done. However, if it's too "loud" for my liking, I'll cut it out and buy a Borla Type S crate muffler which should reduce it to a Touring level and call it a day!
I just installed the Borla type "S". When the truck is cold started it sounds pretty loud. As soon as it idles down it's very mellow IMO. I had Flowmaster 50's on my 2014 Wrangler with a 6.4 Liter hemi installed, and it was excellent. No drone, but got a lot of looks upon start up. Not many people had V8 Wranglers at that time. The Touring system wasn't offered for our trucks.

I just installed the Borla type "S". When the truck is cold started it sounds pretty loud. As soon as it idles down it's very mellow IMO. I had Flowmaster 50's on my 2014 Wrangler with a 6.4 Liter hemi installed, and it was excellent. No drone, but got a lot of looks upon start up. Not many people had V8 Wranglers at that time. The Touring system wasn't offered for our trucks.
So, to be clear, you installed the Type-S crate muffler and you're happy with the sound level and no drone? How does it sound when hitting the gas on the highway...loud in the cabin or sweet and not too loud?

So, to be clear, you installed the Type-S crate muffler and you're happy with the sound level and no drone? How does it sound when hitting the gas on the highway...loud in the cabin or sweet and not too loud?
I bought the cat back system. This system has a resonator. The stock system is one piece welded and was longer than the truck, even diagonally. I have it laying in the garage. I might cut it into thirds for storage. I doubt that it would matter as far as sound goes. When I cold start the truck, high idle, it seems loud. When the idle returns to normal, less that a minute, it's very mellow. No drone. I hardly notice it going down the road. I think if you're a performance oriented person you will like it. I like road trips ,old Guy, so I wanted to make sure that the exhaust wouldn't be annoying in the cab. I like it fine on the highway.

I bought the cat back system. This system has a resonator. The stock system is one piece welded and was longer than the truck, even diagonally. I have it laying in the garage. I might cut it into thirds for storage. I doubt that it would matter as far as sound goes. When I cold start the truck, high idle, it seems loud. When the idle returns to normal, less that a minute, it's very mellow. No drone. I hardly notice it going down the road. I think if you're a performance oriented person you will like it. I like road trips ,old Guy, so I wanted to make sure that the exhaust wouldn't be annoying in the cab. I like it fine on the highway.
Got it...thanks for the clarification my friend! Happy to hear the Type-S is enjoyable and not overbearing.

Got it...thanks for the clarification my friend! Happy to hear the Type-S is enjoyable and not overbearing.
I did install the Type-S Borla crate muffler…just cut the flapper and stock muffler out. It sounds very good, deep tone with solid v8 rumble. You will 100% hear it in the cab driving around town, downshifting on highway grade, etc

Under heavy acceleration it sounds like you’ve got an American v8 and you are letting it loose…I personally smile at these things. I don’t hear any drone. A tiny bit of backflow gurgle when rapidly approaching a stop. If that’s what you are looking for, it’s a solid muffler IMO.

Now, the bottom line here is “too loud” is all relative. It will turn heads in a parking lot on cold start, it’s just plain loud at cold start, as I suspect most options are for these trucks. The exhaust being tucked and pointing down, increases the feedback in the cab IMO. At highway speeds it’s very muted, any downshift and hill climb, you are reminded of your decision!

My wife, does not like the exhaust and therefore resonators are being added 😅…see above “too loud” is relative. Personally, it sounds amazing but is a bit strong for my taste as well…my personal preference would be the Touring level sound vs the Type S

I did install the Type-S Borla crate muffler…just cut the flapper and stock muffler out. It sounds very good, deep tone with solid v8 rumble. You will 100% hear it in the cab driving around town, downshifting on highway grade, etc

Under heavy acceleration it sounds like you’ve got an American v8 and you are letting it loose…I personally smile at these things. I don’t hear any drone. A tiny bit of backflow gurgle when rapidly approaching a stop. If that’s what you are looking for, it’s a solid muffler IMO.

Now, the bottom line here is “too loud” is all relative. It will turn heads in a parking lot on cold start, it’s just plain loud at cold start, as I suspect most options are for these trucks. The exhaust being tucked and pointing down, increases the feedback in the cab IMO. At highway speeds it’s very muted, any downshift and hill climb, you are reminded of your decision!

My wife, does not like the exhaust and therefore resonators are being added 😅…see above “too loud” is relative. Personally, it sounds amazing but is a bit strong for my taste as well…my personal preference would be the Touring level sound vs the Type S
Thanks for the write up. My Type-S should be here tomorrow and I plan on taking it in at 8am to get it knocked out early mid-next week. I am leaving the factory resonators on and we'll see how loud is loud to both me and my wife. Worst case, I take it off and go in a different direction with a different brand muffler as Borla has no "crate Touring" muffler available. Let me know what resonators you end up with and if that "quiets" it down to a level that you and your wife enjoy...or at least you :)

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back