Bison Winch Install

FLAZR2

Reaction score
After much procrastination or research if you will, I finally dug in and installed the ComeUp Winch in my 2023 Bison.

A couple of notes about the install:
The install instructions are actually decent and I was able to follow them successfully. except as noted.
1. The instructions that came with the AEV install kit were dated Nov 27, 2022. I started with them and while trying to figure out how to get the bumper off I found that the AEV website had updated instructions. https://www.aev-conversions.com/company/installation-guides/silverado-installation-guides/
1713548206413.png

When you click on the link for the 1500, it actually opens the instructions for the 2500.
1713548299047.png

Those instruction told me NOT to remove the front bumper. I was very happy to see that.
As I read further I noticed that this not the same as my truck. Back to the website and click the link for the HD and get this:
1713548551096.png

Which is basically what I already have with a few updates.
It also says I have to remove the bumper, bummer.
That bumper is a beast. Word of advise have some help available when uninstalling and reinstalling.
1713550451254.jpeg

You need to remove the grille.
1713550589151.jpeg

Unplug the bumper wiring harness
1713550208550.jpeg

You have to remove these 2 bolts that are under the plastic covers on both sides.
1713550652932.jpeg

These 2 bolts underneath on both sides.
1713550951831.png
This bolt on either side.
1713553743233.png

2 bolts from the top of the bumper (that i forgot to take a picture of).

1713554005244.jpeg
1713554031655.jpeg
1713554072397.jpeg
I don't think I like that big red hook and will probably use something else like:
1713554498960.jpeg

2. The updated instructions say to put the skid plate on before reinstalling the front bumper.
1713553947123.png

I missed this part, and when trying to put the skid plate on at the end and just as predicted in the document it wouldn't fit. At this point I decided that if I ever wanted to remove the skid plate I didn't want to have to remove the bumper, so I modified the skid plate.
1713554359002.jpeg

1713554331215.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Excellent work! I looked at those install directive and thought it looked like quite a project. Glad you posted these details. I'm sure it will help people out.

Let us know how it performs. I'm still contemplating doing it, but not sure I will put it to use.

After much procrastination or research if you will, I finally dug in and installed the ComeUp Winch in my 2023 Bison.

A couple of notes about the install:
The install instructions are actually decent and I was able to follow them successfully. except as noted.
1. The instructions that came with the AEV install kit were dated Nov 27, 2022. I started with them and while trying to figure out how to get the bumper off I found that the AEV website had updated instructions. https://www.aev-conversions.com/company/installation-guides/silverado-installation-guides/
View attachment 12193
When you click on the link for the 1500, it actually opens the instructions for the 2500.
View attachment 12194
Those instruction told me NOT to remove the front bumper. I was very happy to see that.
As I read further I noticed that this not the same as my truck. Back to the website and click the link for the HD and get this:
View attachment 12195
Which is basically what I already have with a few updates.
It also says I have to remove the bumper, bummer.
That bumper is a beast. Word of advise have some help available when uninstalling and reinstalling.
View attachment 12198
You need to remove the grille.
View attachment 12200
Unplug the bumper wiring harness
View attachment 12197
You have to remove these 2 bolts that are under the plastic covers on both sides.
View attachment 12201
These 2 bolts underneath on both sides.
View attachment 12203This bolt on either side.
View attachment 12204
2 bolts from the top of the bumper (that i forgot to take a picture of).
excellent step by step photos!!

After looking at the way I did the hook next to my wife's Jeep, I changed it up.
1713571570606.jpeg
1713571597933.jpeg
1713571631131.jpeg

Much better.
I will probably still switch the hook out for one like the Jeep has (Factor 55 Flatlink). I am going to Jeep Beach in Daytona next weekend and hoping I can pick one up at a good price.

Looks Great, question….I’m looking at your pics and it appears there is room for a winch even for us none Bison folks. So in theory I could buy the winch install kit from AEV and make this work in a none Bison ZR2. Of course the use of the stock bumper would require some effort to make it work and of course cutting into the center for the fair lead. Maybe I’m just getting impatient because the after market has yet to produce any good winch mounting options ( besides a completely new bumper) Thoughts ?

Looks Great, question….I’m looking at your pics and it appears there is room for a winch even for us none Bison folks. So in theory I could buy the winch install kit from AEV and make this work in a none Bison ZR2. Of course the use of the stock bumper would require some effort to make it work and of course cutting into the center for the fair lead. Maybe I’m just getting impatient because the after market has yet to produce any good winch mounting options ( besides a completely new bumper) Thoughts ?
Yea, I'm sure there is room. It's going to come down to your level of commitment and fabricating skills. If I didn't have a bison I would be trying to figure it out too.
1st thing I would look at is whether this brace is behind the bumper, It is what the winch mounting plate bolts to. If its not there then you would have to fab something for the winch plate to bolt to.
1713709462914.png

I am sure a lot of people would love for someone to come up with a solution. I think that there is a bumper available, but it's $$$$. Not like the Jeep aftermarket where you can get winch mount bumpers at the grocery store, lol.

Attachments

• 1713709436099.png
    1713709436099.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 7
Yea, I'm sure there is room. It's going to come down to your level of commitment and fabricating skills. If I didn't have a bison I would be trying to figure it out too.
1st thing I would look at is whether this brace is behind the bumper, It is what the winch mounting plate bolts to. If its not there then you would have to fab something for the winch plate to bolt to.View attachment 12333
I am sure a lot of people would love for someone to come up with a solution. I think that there is a bumper available, but it's $$$$. Not like the Jeep aftermarket where you can get winch mount bumpers at the grocery store, lol.
i like the rear trailer hitch mount for winch. i forget which member fabbed it. looked like a proto type but was interesting.

Thanks for the advice on that rear plate. I’ll have to take a dive behind the bumper when I get some time.

I haven't installed a winch yet, but in doing my lights, front and rear, and straightening the rear bumper, one thing I do know is these bumpers are built like the proverbial brick shit house. The way they mount to the frame is very solid and the frame of the bumper is as well, including the winch mounting plate.

I think you really have to consider the engineering that went into it, then proceed with fabrication. A winch is going to exert incredible forces on the front of the frame. If not done correctly, you could taco the frame and introduce a lot of problems.

Last edited:
I haven't installed a winch yet, but in doing my lights, front and rear, and straightening the rear bumper, one thing I do know is these bumpers are built like the proverbial brick shit house. The way they mount to the frame is very solid and the frame of the bumper is as well, including the winch mounting plate.

I think you really have to consider the engineering that went into it, then proceed with fabrication. A winch is going to exert incredible forces on the front of the frame. If not done correctly, you could taco the frame and introduce a lot of problems.
Very good and valid points

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back