Buying a ZR2 tomorrow - what to look out for?

Tundra2ZR2

Reaction score
I'm not quite an owner but I will be tomorrow. Are there items I should look out for before buying? Any problems members have noticed after purchasing? Will pics when I buy next to my Dad's Colorado ZR2

I'm not quite an owner but I will be tomorrow. Are there items I should look out for before buying? Any problems members have noticed after purchasing? Will pics when I buy next to my Dad's Colorado ZR2
Do not get sucked into paint protection, interior protection, extended warranties, etc. by the Finance Manager. Just buy the truck. Should be no more than MSRP...hopefully a bit under MSRP.

Do not get sucked into paint protection, interior protection, extended warranties, etc. by the Finance Manager. Just buy the truck. Should be no more than MSRP...hopefully a bit under MSRP.
I worked with my finance manager and extended my bumper to bumper, powertrain, etc all to 72 months/100k miles. All depends on what you wanna do with the truck. It raised my monthly rate 42 dollars. That’s a cheap peace of mind for the next 6 years.

I worked with my finance manager and extended my bumper to bumper, powertrain, etc all to 72 months/100k miles. All depends on what you wanna do with the truck. It raised my monthly rate 42 dollars. That’s a cheap peace of mind for the next 6 years.
The issue with that is you can save up to a $1000 or more by buying your GM Factory warranty on-line out of state. My dealer wanted $3200...found the exact same GM warranty from another dealer out of state for over $1300 less. NEVER buy the warranty from the selling dealer...they make a TON off of you!

What did you pay for your warranty?

I guess I didn’t realize you could call other GM dealerships and haggle a warranty given out by GM. I paid 2400 all said and done for mine. Guess you live and learn if I did overpay.

I guess I didn’t realize you could call other GM dealerships and haggle a warranty given out by GM. I paid 2400 all said and done for mine. Guess you live and learn if I did overpay.
No problem...we all live and learn my friend. An 84 month/100K $0 Deductible right now is running $2214 TAX FREE!

It's my understanding that the extended warranty will not kick in before your factory warranty which is 3 year bumper-to-bumper. It seems to me like buying a 72 month extended warranty when the truck is brand new is really only a 36 month warranty (it covers only year 4 through 6 because the factory warranty covers year 1 through 3). I passed on it and going to think about getting one right before my factory warranty is up to give me coverage from year 4 through 9. Even doing this still has me with double-coverage on years 4 and 5 because the big stuff is still covered under the factory powertrain warranty. I'll likely only put about 5k on it every year so not worried about the number of miles. Let me know if there's a flaw in my logic.

It's my understanding that the extended warranty will not kick in before your factory warranty which is 3 year bumper-to-bumper. It seems to me like buying a 72 month extended warranty when the truck is brand new is really only a 36 month warranty (it covers only year 4 through 6 because the factory warranty covers year 1 through 3). I passed on it and going to think about getting one right before my factory warranty is up to give me coverage from year 4 through 9. Even doing this still has me with double-coverage on years 4 and 5 because the big stuff is still covered under the factory powertrain warranty. I'll likely only put about 5k on it every year so not worried about the number of miles. Let me know if there's a flaw in my logic.
This is my thinking also. You can add it anytime as long as your still under bumper to bumper. I was also going to wait till my factory warranty was close to ending and then add it. The only reason I see to get it at time of purchase is for people that want to include it into the financing. Other then that might as well wait till warranty is about up.

This is my thinking also. You can add it anytime as long as your still under bumper to bumper. I was also going to wait till my factory warranty was close to ending and then add it. The only reason I see to get it at time of purchase is for people that want to include it into the financing. Other then that might as well wait till warranty is about up.
It will still start from "in-service" date as a total of 7 years or whatever one you choose so there is overlap no matter what. So It pretty much doesn't matter if you buy it now or later unless you would like to feel out if you will keep the truck longer than the 3 years. Some companies charge a small surcharge of a couple hundred if it has over 10k miles (such as Mopar) not sure if GM does.

I'm a finance manager at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM store so I'm very familiar with warranties. :)

I am with both of you on the subject of what you really get and for how long. However, the thing to consider is that, every year, sometimes multiple times a year, these plans go up in price. So, the longer you wait, the more you pay. If you can afford it, best to get it now versus waiting. If you never use it, the warranty has a prorated refund associated with it so it's not a total loss. Just something to think about.

I just bought a 2023 ZR2 pretty much loaded and got a considerable discount off MSRP. I was also able to take advantage of the 0% interest for 36 months.

good luck...great truck. i went for the extended warranty. 8 years 100k miles. $2100. dont pay market adjustment. msrp plus rebates.

directly from GM at the dealer/point of sale. 3rd party warranties are not worth the hassle. i purchased the platinum plan with zero deductable.
Totally agree. Your dealer gave you a good deal on the warranty. I would never buy a third party warranty…ever!

Totally agree. Your dealer gave you a good deal on the warranty. I would never buy a third party warranty…ever!
i was able to pick term length and mileage. i do about 7-10k a year. i chose 8 years and 100k. covers everything. with all the tech in this truck and the DFM issue, it was a no brainer for me.

Most Member Reactions

Back