CarPlay takes over radio/Sirius

BillG

Reaction score
Just got my 2023 and I admit I suck at technology. My issue is that if I am listening to regular FM radio or Sirius and then make or take a phone call (iPhone 12) on BlueTooth/CarPlay, when I hang up I am stuck on CarPlay and have to manually navigate back to the radio or Sirius. Every other vehicle my wife or I have had has automatically revert back to whatever we were listening to after the phone call has ended. Being technologically deficient that I am, I am taking my eyes off the road (while cursing the truck out) to get back to my music. Any fix for this? I do not want to disable CarPlay because it is my only source for navigation, and I don't want to only use my iPhone apps for music, nor should I have to do any of this. Anyone????

I've also found that the transfer between sources isn't perfect. I'll be listening to Sirius and pick up my phone and go to an app and the car switches to the phone. I have a similar issue with my other car but it provides a single * button on the steering wheel which you can program (and I have mine programmed to go to Sirius). I was hoping the truck had the same but so far I haven't found a quicker way other than going through the menus (n)

Yeah this is an annoyance that hopefully GM will remedy with a software update. It should default back to the last audio source before a phone call but it doesn't.

Anyone found a solution to this issue? Really is a pain!
Agree. I am sure this is just a basic software issue that can be fixed with an update. I am going to see if I can get in touch with their IT people to see if the are aware of it and working on a fix. It's driving me nuts

I found that saying "Hey Google, play Sirius XM" does the trick but someone else mentioned to me that this requires you to have the data package.

I found that saying "Hey Google, play Sirius XM" does the trick but someone else mentioned to me that this requires you to have the data package.
Not sure if it would work with Siri too

My truck is away for ceramic coat so I cant check till Monday.
Thanks, I appreciate the replies!

I was having something similar with Android Auto and Spotify on my android phone. I thought it was the truck, but then eventually found that there was a setting on my phone buried in either the spotify or the android auto settings that was set to "autoplay" music. So when the connection was being re-established for Android Auto it would automatically start playing and take over the local radio that was on when I had previously turned off the vehicle.

I was having something similar with Android Auto and Spotify on my android phone. I thought it was the truck, but then eventually found that there was a setting on my phone buried in either the spotify or the android auto settings that was set to "autoplay" music. So when the connection was being re-established for Android Auto it would automatically start playing and take over the local radio that was on when I had previously turned off the vehicle.
This made me go right to my settings. I don't see anything that would prospectively change this though. The issue is not that it plays my music from my phone from my play list or anything, it is that it just stays in the telephone mode and does not revert back to Sirius or FM which I was listening to before my phone rang or I made a call.

My truck is away for ceramic coat so I cant check till Monday.
Thanks, I appreciate the replies!
Just got mine back on Friday. Did a 5-year gtechniq ceramic with full paint correction. Looks gorgeous...you will be thrilled to see your new truck I'm sure!

This made me go right to my settings. I don't see anything that would prospectively change this though. The issue is not that it plays my music from my phone from my play list or anything, it is that it just stays in the telephone mode and does not revert back to Sirius or FM which I was listening to before my phone rang or I made a call.
I agree, it’s annoying as hell. They’ll need to make a change to the infotainment OS to fix it. It should be simple really, just create a variable to store what media you’re on when a call comes in and then switch back. The other thing that annoys me is that I can’t tell the system not to pause when I take a call - or at least I haven’t seen a setting. I can see where that could be useful, but sometimes, I just don’t want to have to hit the fast forward button multiple times to get back to the live broadcast. There should be a setting to turn that off/on. Easy peasy…

So I tried to contact an IT person at Chevy. They only could tell me to check to make sure I had no outstanding software updates, which I did not. So their only solution is to make a service appointment. I guess we will se what happens then. Very disappointing.

This is the sequence in Android Auto:

Attachments

• 20230106_180510.jpg
    20230106_180510.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230106_180525.jpg
    20230106_180525.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230106_180549.jpg
    20230106_180549.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230106_180604.jpg