Catalytic converter skid plate / cover

Swan

Reaction score
I am sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find anything when I searched. Has anyone put on a catalytic converter cover? Looks like the Bison has enough skid plates to cover it, but the ZR2 does not.

If you look at AEV’s web site, they have the Bison skid plates for the Colorado, but not the ZR2 yet.

Have found one cover online, but not really excited about having to drill into the frame.

A bit pricey, but if you are in an area where you are concerned, it makes sense. I would have no issues at all drilling into the frame. Just use a primer to seal the steel where you drilled out the holes to prevent rust. I think anything you will find will require drilling or welding to the frame. Does this interfere at all with any normal vehicle maintenance?

I am sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find anything when I searched. Has anyone put on a catalytic converter cover? Looks like the Bison has enough skid plates to cover it, but the ZR2 does not.

If you look at AEV’s web site, they have the Bison skid plates for the Colorado, but not the ZR2 yet.

Have found one cover online, but not really excited about having to drill into the frame.

I have seen a few on other sites as well, they all seem to have you drill new holes for mounting the shield. Prices were between 300-750$. I hope sooner than later someone has one that uses the existing holes.

I have seen a few on other sites as well, they all seem to have you drill new holes for mounting the shield. Prices were between 300-750$. I hope sooner than later someone has one that uses the existing holes.
I wouldn’t hold your breathe on the no drilling thing. Not many ways to attach anything to the frame down there.

I just got off the phone with AEV. If you go on their website, you can purchase plates for the Colorado and all other trucks. Once the Silverado ZR2 Bison is out for a little longer, you should be able to purchase their skid plates. They have a skid plate that sits right over the Cat Converter and bolts onto the pre existing holes. Give it a few months and it'll be available.

I just got off the phone with AEV. If you go on their website, you can purchase plates for the Colorado and all other trucks. Once the Silverado ZR2 Bison is out for a little longer, you should be able to purchase their skid plates. They have a skid plate that sits right over the Cat Converter and bolts onto the pre existing holes. Give it a few months and it'll be available.
Yes, unfortunately the thieves steal converters like crazy in these Metro areas. Ours are tucked up pretty tight, but a long Saws all blade would reach it. The only solution is shutting off the wrecking yards from buying these things. Obviously, someone pulling in with a dozen cats in their car would signal a thief! Not that they seem to care!

So FWIW, I've heard they don't typically go for newer chevys. I'm guessing they aren't worth as much for scrap? Maybe harder to access. It's not a problem around my home, but we frequent a lake about an hour away from us and at several of the public ramps its a common problem. I'm on a couple of local fishing groups and posts about guys returning to their trucks to find they are missing their cat is pretty common. But for whatever reasons it's normally not a chevy.

So FWIW, I've heard they don't typically go for newer chevys. I'm guessing they aren't worth as much for scrap? Maybe harder to access. It's not a problem around my home, but we frequent a lake about an hour away from us and at several of the public ramps its a common problem. I'm on a couple of local fishing groups and posts about guys returning to their trucks to find they are missing their cat is pretty common. But for whatever reasons it's normally not a chevy.
That's good to know. When i was changing my oil for the first time, I was looking at the probability of it. Like I said it's more work but doable for a determined thief.

That's good to know. When i was changing my oil for the first time, I was looking at the probability of it. Like I said it's more work but doable for a determined thief.
Yeah I think it could be because we have the two small ones that are a little harder to access. I'm sure if there isn't any other options they would still go for them. Theives are diffenitly looking for the easiest score though. Try to park by a prius lol.

Most Member Reactions

Back