Chevy Performance Parts exhaust differences?

3osb

Reaction score
I purchased my ZR2 in September, and at the time the Chevy Performance Parts site listed only a single exhaust upgrade option made by Borla. With the current promo, I was about to pull the trigger, but now see 2 options. The original Borla (6.2L Cat-Back Dual Rear Exit Upgrade System for Short Wheel Base Models by Borla® - Associated Accessories Part No. : 19433388), and a second (6.2L Short Wheelbase Cat-Back Dual Exit Exhaust Upgrade System (for ZR2 and AT4X trims) Part No. : 87816783) which states for ZR2.

Both have the turn-down exit, and both are listed when I enter my VIN. I am not looking for loud, but rather the touring note. Does anyone know what the ZR2 specific model newly listed is?

Appreciate any help!

The tailpipe sections are unique to the AT4 and ZR2. The application specific kit is the one you need to order.

The tailpipe sections are unique to the AT4 and ZR2. The application specific kit is the one you need to order.

That is what I originally thought as well, but the picture for the Borla shows the same tailpipe sections? (see pic)
640X640 (1).jpg

I am fairly certain that the '6.2L Short Wheelbase Cat-Back Dual Exit Exhaust Upgrade System' is the stock exhaust the ZR2 comes with. The pics look identical. I think its considered an 'upgrade' from the stock 1500 silverado exhaust.

I can confirm it's an upgraded system from the factory exhaust on the ZR2's and AT4X's. Last month, a couple days before I took delivery of my AT4X, I saw this exhaust system (87816783) on the GMC Accessories website (it's the same part # on the Chevy site) and had it added to my truck. It's a perfect upgrade if you want a true touring exhaust that'll give you more V8 sound out of your truck.

My previous truck ('19 GMC AT4) had the GM Performance exhaust (touring) system on it and I really liked it. Not too loud unless you got on it. Comparing the new 2022-23 system to the one I had on my 2019, I've noticed that startup is louder, but it isn't as loud/noticeable at cruising speeds. And, it still has that great V8 sound when you get on it. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Although I can't confirm this, it seems to be understood that all the GM performance exhausts are made by Borla. If that's true, you can save a few bucks purchasing the kit directly from Borla instead of the GM accessory sites (Link: https://www.borla.com/products/chevrolet-silverado-1500-zr2-cat-back-exhaust-system-140913). I chose purchasing the GM system and having the dealership install it so it would be covered under my warranty.

The 19433388 Borla system was what I had my dealer install and that is the kit that was/is available as a dealer installable option when you build/order one. That system is also what was installed on 90% of the press demo trucks if you go watch some of the reviews.

The cold start on the 19433388 system was louder than I was expecting but it quiets down quickly. At cruising speeds/rpm there is no drone and you can barely tell its there, tip into the throttle just a bit and it sounds like a 6.2L truck should.

I had the Borla touring exhaust on my AT4. I ordered new tailpipes from Borla as they are a little bit different and fitted it on my ZR2. The way the tailpipes are turned down on the ZR2 the exhaust seems a fair bit louder then it was on my At4.

Attachments

• borla 1.jpg
    borla 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 104
  • borla.jpg
    borla.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 106
So what is the difference between the two? Looking for a new exhaust for my new AT4X and was wondering what the difference was for the $600 price difference. Even the two S-Types on Borla's website is only about $300 different.

Thanks for any info

So what is the difference between the two? Looking for a new exhaust for my new AT4X and was wondering what the difference was for the $600 price difference. Even the two S-Types on Borla's website is only about $300 different.

Thanks for any info
I see zero reasons to buy a full cat-back system. The piping on these trucks is already very nice...it's just the muffler that sucks. You can save a ton and just buy the Borla muffler for around $300 and pay a shop $50-$100 to weld it in.

I see zero reasons to buy a full cat-back system. The piping on these trucks is already very nice...it's just the muffler that sucks. You can save a ton and just buy the Borla muffler for around $300 and pay a shop $50-$100 to weld it in.
Very true I could do that but then I will lose my warranty.

I am on the fence about which to do but I do want to hear my exhaust when I step on the gas lol

Very true I could do that but then I will lose my warranty.

I am on the fence about which to do but I do want to hear my exhaust when I step on the gas lol
It's a muffler...what warranty are you concerned about? Replacing your muffler will not have any impact on anything else on your truck. Nothing should ever happen to an exhaust system except maybe rusting out in 15 years :)

Just had local dealer install the Borla cat back…worth it . Truck sounds fantastic.
Having said that…your suggestion seems like a pretty smart workaround

Just had local dealer install the Borla cat back…worth it . Truck sounds fantastic.
Having said that…your suggestion seems like a pretty smart workaround
Great to hear my friend. Which Borla model muffler...Touring, Type S or ATAK?

Thanks for any info
I don't know the factory part numbers, but on the borla site they show 2 s-type options. One is a full dual exhaust, from manifold to tip, and the other joins the 2 pipes before the muffler then splits again after the muffler. I installed the latter and it is awesome. Very loud at times, but not over powering at cruising speed. It will definitely wake your neighbors with the cold start. Be ready for that...

I don't know the factory part numbers, but on the borla site they show 2 s-type options. One is a full dual exhaust, from manifold to tip, and the other joins the 2 pipes before the muffler then splits again after the muffler. I installed the latter and it is awesome. Very loud at times, but not over powering at cruising speed. It will definitely wake your neighbors with the cold start. Be ready for that...
Yeah that cold start is something else for sure. Not that bad in the cold but it’ll wake the dead in the summer time. I’m sure my neighbors are glad I don’t work early mornings anymore. lol

When I had it installed the dealer parked it under the canopy for pickup. I hit the remote start and just about gave a lady a panic attack when it roared to life.

Most Member Reactions

Back