Crank Shaft Failure @ 11,000 miles

Driving home from the airport last Thursday afternoon I was slowing down for a traffic back up and the truck died. Dash read push start button, so I did and nothing, put it in neutral and tried again the same result by this time I had stopped rolling and put it in park to try and start it and hit the OnStar button for roadside assistance. It was about this Time I realized you cannot even put these things in neutral when they are not running so here I am stuck in the fast lane of a Houston Tollway in 80mph traffic. Somehow in the 35 minutes till police arrived I didn't cause a multi car pileup, but there were several very close calls with multiple drivers not paying attention. Two and a half hours later the Wrecker Roadside assistance send showed up and dropped it at the dealership.

The dealer service department says they will replace the Bearings and crankshaft. I don't have much confidence in the repair or GM for that matter. I've owned over 20 GM vehicles; this may be my last

Driving home from the airport last Thursday afternoon I was slowing down for a traffic back up and the truck died. Dash read push start button, so I did and nothing, put it in neutral and tried again the same result by this time I had stopped rolling and put it in park to try and start it and hit the OnStar button for roadside assistance. It was about this Time I realized you cannot even put these things in neutral when they are not running so here I am stuck in the fast lane of a Houston Tollway in 80mph traffic. Somehow in the 35 minutes till police arrived I didn't cause a multi car pileup, but there were several very close calls with multiple drivers not paying attention. Two and a half hours later the Wrecker Roadside assistance send showed up and dropped it at the dealership.

The dealer service department says they will replace the Bearings and crankshaft. I don't have much confidence in the repair or GM for that matter. I've owned over 20 GM vehicles; this may be my last.
hello ,
same thing happened to me yesterday, it started making a squeaky sound, thought it was from the wheels, got the wheels remove and nothing happened, started driving for 2 blocks and it die on me , wouldn't crank at all every time i press the start button it'll die completely, everything will turn off and seconds later the dash and radio will turn on ..
i drop it off at the dealer , im supossose to get an anwser this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
i feel the same way about GM repair service . my truck has 15000 miles and all the services have been done at the delaer

ive been looking at the 3 trucks lately , tundra trd , raptor or trx.
let see what happened.

hello ,
same thing happened to me yesterday, it started making a squeaky sound, thought it was from the wheels, got the wheels remove and nothing happened, started driving for 2 blocks and it die on me , wouldn't crank at all every time i press the start button it'll die completely, everything will turn off and seconds later the dash and radio will turn on ..
i drop it off at the dealer , im supossose to get an anwser this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
i feel the same way about GM repair service . my truck has 15000 miles and all the services have been done at the delaer

let see what happened.
Hope you luck, mine been at the dealer over 2 months and still NO eta on engine

Reactions: AXE
let see what happened.
Stay away from the Tundra. Too many issues and it could never compete with the Raptor, TRX, or the ZR2/AT4X. If I was going to go that route, the RAM would be at the top of my list. Had a 2019 and a 2021 Loaded Limited 4X4 and they were both fantastic. I've never been a Ford fan...they have more recalls than most all manufacturers combined and their interiors suck IMPO.

Reactions: AXE
Had mine die while going 70 mph in heavy San Antonio traffic 4.5 hours from home. I was lucky and got off to the shoulder before it came to complete stop. Texas Department of Transportation has a program called HEROS. Their job is to help get you to a safe place. They were shocked that there was no way to put the truck in neutral. They had to use dollies on the rear wheels to tow me to a safe location. I then had OnStar send roadside assistance to tow me to a dealership. Roadside assistance wasn’t able to put the truck in neutral and had to use wooden skids under the rear tires to drag the truck onto the rollback wrecker.

Thankfully my problem was a bad fuel pump control module.

I have filed a safety complaint with the nhtsa.gov regarding the lack of a way to put these trucks into neutral. My 2014 Ram had a strap near the fuse panel you could pull to put it into neutral if needed.

I encourage everyone to file a complaint.

Had mine die while going 70 mph in heavy San Antonio traffic 4.5 hours from home. I was lucky and got off to the shoulder before it came to complete stop. Texas Department of Transportation has a program called HEROS. Their job is to help get you to a safe place. They were shocked that there was no way to put the truck in neutral. They had to use dollies on the rear wheels to tow me to a safe location. I then had OnStar send roadside assistance to tow me to a dealership. Roadside assistance wasn’t able to put the truck in neutral and had to use wooden skids under the rear tires to drag the truck onto the rollback wrecker.

Thankfully my problem was a bad fuel pump control module.

I have filed a safety complaint with the nhtsa.gov regarding the lack of a way to put these trucks into neutral. My 2014 Ram had a strap near the fuse panel you could pull to put it into neutral if needed.

I encourage everyone to file a complaint.
My 19 and 21 RAM had that same strap to pull to get her into Neutral manually. What's up GM???

hello ,

let see what happened.
sucks..keep us informed.

Well 3 months later and still NO truck, and NO idea when parts are coming.. losing faith in GM,
Crankshaft thrust bearing failure…at 8k miles.
The first truck I bought but never took delivery of had camera failure, 2 weeks to trouble shoot and was told they needed to replace the complete camera harness and there was NO parts available. So after 4 weeks of bullshit we backed out of deal and bought the one we have now. Not a good track record for me…
Then the dealer that pulls the engine out, pushes the truck into the lot with the drivers side window down and a garbage bag taped to the paint and inside door pockets full of water,
Sorry for the rant…
Total bullshit.....there are plenty of trucks in inventory and you should get one. I would call some other dealers and see if they will work a deal for you to get you in a new rig. $60-65k for yours and a decent price on a new one.

These engines are having bearing failures should not be getting crankshafts. Any dealer that’s putting cranks and bearings in these isn’t following gms rules and making their own. The engines are sparse and hard to acquire but not impossible. I’ve replaced 10-15 6.2l in the last 6 months for the lock up concern and 1 dropped intake valve. The lifter issue is entirely different and shared with the 5.3l. Cams fail because people keep driving when the lifter takes a shit. Better get a new radiator and oil cooler lines too.

These engines are having bearing failures should not be getting crankshafts. Any dealer that’s putting cranks and bearings in these isn’t following gms rules and making their own. The engines are sparse and hard to acquire but not impossible. I’ve replaced 10-15 6.2l in the last 6 months for the lock up concern and 1 dropped intake valve. The lifter issue is entirely different and shared with the 5.3l. Cams fail because people keep driving when the lifter takes a shit. Better get a new radiator and oil cooler lines too.
Most useful information we've seen to date! Glad there are guys like you that can make these repairs.

Most Member Reactions

Back