Crank Shaft Failure @ 11,000 miles

My wife’s ZR2 did the same thing, it acted like it shut off, NO lights and luckily she coasted into a parking lot, soon as she hit the brake a came to a stop it went to P, and Yes NO getting it into N again, been at the dealer for a month and all I know is they told me the engine was locked up….
This may be my last new vehicle….
it is about 6 months old with 8k miles
Mine is still at the dealer also. Crank shafts are on backorder with unknown ETA. I agree this may be my last new vehicle.

How do you run out of crankshaft? They aren't anything special. Must be a lot more motors getting smoked than they predicted.

I'm sure the crank manufacturers could pump out quite a few in a short period of time.

How do you run out of crankshaft? They aren't anything special. Must be a lot more motors getting smoked than they predicted.

I'm sure the crank manufacturers could pump out quite a few in a short period of time.
You would think so. Cranks going bad on these modern engines seems like it would be rare! Especially a long skirted block with six bolt mains. The bearing material must be crap!

Driving home from the airport last Thursday afternoon I was slowing down for a traffic back up and the truck died. Dash read push start button, so I did and nothing, put it in neutral and tried again the same result by this time I had stopped rolling and put it in park to try and start it and hit the OnStar button for roadside assistance. It was about this Time I realized you cannot even put these things in neutral when they are not running so here I am stuck in the fast lane of a Houston Tollway in 80mph traffic. Somehow in the 35 minutes till police arrived I didn't cause a multi car pileup, but there were several very close calls with multiple drivers not paying attention. Two and a half hours later the Wrecker Roadside assistance send showed up and dropped it at the dealership.

The dealer service department says they will replace the Bearings and crankshaft. I don't have much confidence in the repair or GM for that matter. I've owned over 20 GM vehicles; this may be my last.
I’m with ya, my couple of major issues on my 2022 does not instill any confidence that you won’t be stranded. Not the GM I’ve experienced in earlier years of Chevy, gmc trucks. I’ll be going non USA made next time.

You would think so. Cranks going bad on these modern engines seems like it would be rare! Especially a long skirted block with six bolt mains. The bearing material must be crap!
lets say your right and its rare. i dont think mom and pop shops are making GM cranks. should be steady supply.....especially with known 5.3 and 6.2 bad motors.

I cannot believe 23 years past the Millennium and we're producing bearings that can't last.

We've got old farm equipment that is from 50s and 60s.....charge the battery and they crank right up. Oil in them might be 10 years old.......LOL

I love firing up this ol grain truck......it is a 1956 IH with an inline 6 with a 5 speed manual. Just chugs along and hauls a load of gravel or some junk like God intended.

Attachments

• 1315425748668.jpg
    1315425748668.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 18
lets say your right and its rare. i dont think mom and pop shops are making GM cranks. should be steady supply.....especially with known 5.3 and 6.2 bad motors.
You are right on that. I would say a large major supplier of engine parts. The LS platform was built on big power gains at a fair price, high mileage durability and a compact design for engine swaps. This Eco - Tech line is an embarrassment to the previous generation 3 & 4 units. Sad!

I cannot believe 23 years past the Millennium and we're producing bearings that can't last.

We've got old farm equipment that is from 50s and 60s.....charge the battery and they crank right up. Oil in them might be 10 years old.......LOL

I love firing up this ol grain truck......it is a 1956 IH with an inline 6 with a 5 speed manual. Just chugs along and hauls a load of gravel or some junk like God intended.
Yes, we really never thought much about bearing failures.

You are right on that. I would say a large major supplier of engine parts. The LS platform was built on big power gains at a fair price, high mileage durability and a compact design for engine swaps. This Eco - Tech line is an embarrassment to the previous generation 3 & 4 units. Sad!
100%. well said

Reactions: AXE
I’m with ya, my couple of major issues on my 2022 does not instill any confidence that you won’t be stranded. Not the GM I’ve experienced in earlier years of Chevy, gmc trucks. I’ll be going non USA made next time.
I almost went with the new Tundra when I bought the ZR2 - couldn't bring myself to switch. Now I'm rethinking the loyalty to GM.

Mine is still at the dealer also. Crank shafts are on backorder with unknown ETA. I agree this may be my last new vehicle.
Wow on back order. I think only good thing California has is the consumer friendly laws. My brother works at a dealership and has told me that
Check with my brother on cams since he works for a gmc dealer. He informed me that there is no back order on cams or lifters. He did say there are some parts on back order but it's for the active fuel management for 2019 . But no cams. I think dealer is just throwing your truck to the back burner.

I almost went with the new Tundra when I bought the ZR2 - couldn't bring myself to switch. Now I'm rethinking the loyalty to GM.
I guess you haven't heard of all of the issues people are having with the new Tundra??? Most were very disappointed. Maybe the 24's will be better and TOYO will work all the bugs out.

hang in..im thinking GM has got to have an ear on our problems.
Wow on back order. I think only good thing California has is the consumer friendly laws. My brother works at a dealership and has told me that
Check with my brother on cams since he works for a gmc dealer. He informed me that there is no back order on cams or lifters. He did say there are some parts on back order but it's for the active fuel management for 2019 . But no cams. I think dealer is just throwing your truck to the back burner.
100%.. my brother in law took his 2021 Escalade in for lifter failure at 10k to a non selling dealer. they snubbed there nose at him. 3 week backorder on parts. want no part of fixing. scumbags. i told him to call GM and see what they say.

Driving home from the airport last Thursday afternoon I was slowing down for a traffic back up and the truck died. Dash read push start button, so I did and nothing, put it in neutral and tried again the same result by this time I had stopped rolling and put it in park to try and start it and hit the OnStar button for roadside assistance. It was about this Time I realized you cannot even put these things in neutral when they are not running so here I am stuck in the fast lane of a Houston Tollway in 80mph traffic. Somehow in the 35 minutes till police arrived I didn't cause a multi car pileup, but there were several very close calls with multiple drivers not paying attention. Two and a half hours later the Wrecker Roadside assistance send showed up and dropped it at the dealership.

The dealer service department says they will replace the Bearings and crankshaft. I don't have much confidence in the repair or GM for that matter. I've owned over 20 GM vehicles; this may be my last.
Just an update. The ZR2 is still sitting at the dealership. The service guy called several weeks ago with great news he said, chevy agreed to replace the engine... BUT, there are non-available. Several calls a week with Chevy customer service telling me no parts available and they don't know when it will be fixed. Friday they finally said they are going to make a buyback offer. But I have not heard anything back on that. This is definitely not making me want another GM product.

Just an update. The ZR2 is still sitting at the dealership. The service guy called several weeks ago with great news he said, chevy agreed to replace the engine... BUT, there are non-available. Several calls a week with Chevy customer service telling me no parts available and they don't know when it will be fixed. Friday they finally said they are going to make a buyback offer. But I have not heard anything back on that. This is definitely not making me want another GM product.
Certainly can’t blame you. unless you have a strong dealer that’s truly willing to fight for you, unfortunately, I’m not sure it’s terribly different elsewhere based on my experience. Hope they make it right for you sooner rather than later. Takes what should be a fun and exciting experience and thrashes on it.

Reactions: AXE
Sorry to hear about your issue. However, it does appear GM is trying to do the right thing. As @HuntRedi stated, if you bought a RAM or a FORD, it wouldn't be much different as they all suck when it comes to customer service!

Fucking slugs should have had you in a new rig after 1-10 days. They know there isn't any parts, cause there's too many breaking. Just help people get in a new rig and fix those turds on GM time.

Well 3 months later and still NO truck, and NO idea when parts are coming.. losing faith in GM,
Crankshaft thrust bearing failure…at 8k miles.
The first truck I bought but never took delivery of had camera failure, 2 weeks to trouble shoot and was told they needed to replace the complete camera harness and there was NO parts available. So after 4 weeks of bullshit we backed out of deal and bought the one we have now. Not a good track record for me…
Then the dealer that pulls the engine out, pushes the truck into the lot with the drivers side window down and a garbage bag taped to the paint and inside door pockets full of water,
Sorry for the rant…

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back