Crank Shaft Failure @ 11,000 miles

My wife's 2015 Tahoe 5.3L with AFM was the first rig I've had running 0W20. The first time I poured that oil out if the jug, I thought it was diluted as it poured like water. They went from 6 quarts to 8+ for an oil change, no doubt cause that watery shit couldn't handle the heat as well a thicker oil. We ended up putting 90K on it and ran just as good and strong as when it was new. I think they are more prone to cam and lifter issues after 120k miles. It blows my mind that decades of building motors and there are problems like this shit.
Yea that oil weight is to thin. I've seen toyotas that use 0-16 w 😱 .

why cant we use heavier weight synthetic? i use a heavy weight in my 4 stroke quads and they run cooler.
Mainly because the oil bleed holes in the lifter body are extremely small. When these get plugged up lifter failure is the result. I've used Rotella 15 X 40 in all my motorcycles over the years and it worked great for those engines & wet clutches, more Zinc. But I would be afraid to experiment with these weird DFM engines oil recommendations. I'm sure GM would check the oil type and void a warranty claim!

Mainly because the oil bleed holes in the lifter body are extremely small. When these get plugged up lifter failure is the result. I've used Rotella 15 X 40 in all my motorcycles over the years and it worked great for those engines & wet clutches, more Zinc. But I would be afraid to experiment with these weird DFM engines oil recommendations. I'm sure GM would check the oil type and void a warranty claim!
THIS^^^

Yep, I think they added the extra oil capacity to help dissapte heat. I think tolerances are tighter too so thinner oil gets where it's needed. I ran a 90k experiment (3 months per year in extreme heat) and it passed, so I trust it.

I think what we're seeing here is bad parts and maybe poor quality manufacturing in an otherwise great motor!

good info..i wonder if oil change frequency was closer....maybe that would help.

Reactions: AXE
I plan to do every 5K miles like clockwork if I have her that long :)
good call. im old school. did 1st at about 1k miles and plan on every 2.5k. prob about 3 every 12 months. i know synthetic should last longer but cant hurt. i plan on keeping this truck. hopefully.

good call. im old school. did 1st at about 1k miles and plan on every 2.5k. prob about 3 every 12 months. i know synthetic should last longer but cant hurt. i plan on keeping this truck. hopefully.
I did my first at 1500 and the next will be at 5K then every 5K after that. 0W20 only comes in FULL SYN so were good to go there.

I'm still waiting to do my 1st one, the dealership wouldn't do it because my mileage wasn't at 7,500 yet. Since the 1st one is on GM I am waiting. After that my intent is to do them every 5k as well.
My dealer didn't give a crap about the mileage...if I wanted it done at 1500 they did it without question. That was total BS on your dealers part.

100% correct. my dealer said my 1k, first change was on them. i chose to pay and next one on them. man these dealers.
Well my service manager also said "He wasn't aware of OTA updates" when I took the truck in for the 1st two recalls. He looked at me as if I was lying, I handed him the letter from GM take said I can either take it in and have the dealer do it or an OTA update would fix it... I almost left the dealership forever after that.

Well my service manager also said "He wasn't aware of OTA updates" when I took the truck in for the 1st two recalls. He looked at me as if I was lying, I handed him the letter from GM take said I can either take it in and have the dealer do it or an OTA update would fix it... I almost left the dealership forever a

Well my service manager also said "He wasn't aware of OTA updates" when I took the truck in for the 1st two recalls. He looked at me as if I was lying, I handed him the letter from GM take said I can either take it in and have the dealer do it or an OTA update would fix it... I almost left the dealership forever after that.
i think its hit or miss with dealers. my selling dealer wasnt thrilled when i asked about a cluster update. i waited 2hours and it never downloaded. im also sure some members were charged or were told there would be a charge for some software updates nuts!!

Reactions: AXE
i think its hit or miss with dealers. my selling dealer wasnt thrilled when i asked about a cluster update. i waited 2hours and it never downloaded. im also sure some members were charged or were told there would be a charge for some software updates nuts!!
Customer Service at it's best...thank you Mary Barra!

good info..i wonder if oil change frequency was closer....maybe that woulhelp.
I ran that previous Tahoe at 5K intervals and was always around 20% oil life left. Seemed good for a synthetic. Duramax was the same but I ve seen hotshot drivers who do high mileage work run 15 to 20k per oil change. Some would do oil analysis.

I don't see why you would run much more for minor cost savings.

Driving home from the airport last Thursday afternoon I was slowing down for a traffic back up and the truck died. Dash read push start button, so I did and nothing, put it in neutral and tried again the same result by this time I had stopped rolling and put it in park to try and start it and hit the OnStar button for roadside assistance. It was about this Time I realized you cannot even put these things in neutral when they are not running so here I am stuck in the fast lane of a Houston Tollway in 80mph traffic. Somehow in the 35 minutes till police arrived I didn't cause a multi car pileup, but there were several very close calls with multiple drivers not paying attention. Two and a half hours later the Wrecker Roadside assistance send showed up and dropped it at the dealership.

The dealer service department says they will replace the Bearings and crankshaft. I don't have much confidence in the repair or GM for that matter. I've owned over 20 GM vehicles; this may be my last.
My wife’s ZR2 did the same thing, it acted like it shut off, NO lights and luckily she coasted into a parking lot, soon as she hit the brake a came to a stop it went to P, and Yes NO getting it into N again, been at the dealer for a month and all I know is they told me the engine was locked up….
This may be my last new vehicle….
it is about 6 months old with 8k miles

My wife’s ZR2 did the same thing, it acted like it shut off, NO lights and luckily she coasted into a parking lot, soon as she hit the brake a came to a stop it went to P, and Yes NO getting it into N again, been at the dealer for a month and all I know is they told me the engine was locked up….
This may be my last new vehicle….
it is about 6 months old with 8k miles
that sucks..hang in there.

Most Member Reactions

Back