Dead in mud

Don't buy

Reaction score
Well I took my 2022 ZR2 Silverado to do a little mud bogging, in only about a foot of mud and water to have the alternator go out, takingout the batterie ..... dealer charged me $1.300 to fix. They said this truck doesn't like water, or mud and that it void out my warranty. I only have 9000 miles on my truck. I've never had this issue with my old trail boss.. very disappointing.

Well I took my 2022 ZR2 Silverado to do a little mud bogging, in only about a foot of mud and water to have the alternator go out, takingout the batterie ..... dealer charged me $1.300 to fix. They said this truck doesn't like water, or mud and that it void out my warranty. I only have 9000 miles on my truck. I've never had this issue with my old trail boss.. very disappointing.
Covered under warranty. Fight the charge with GM.

So, you come to the forum and create a profile with the username “don’t buy” and tell us that the dealership said the ZR2 doesn’t like mud or water. And the alternator isn’t replaced under warranty.
I’m not saying I don’t believe you… But,
A7EAA9A4-E2A8-4261-9E66-DAE55454C0D3.gif

Fair enough statement, bottom line I use my truck for off roading, not as a pavement Warrior and with that said .... I've never had any issues with my old 2019 Tral Boss soo yes I am disappointed with my ZR2, maybe more with the dealership for the statement they made and not covering the Alternator. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, it's a matter of me venting my frustration with this truck. 😤

Fair enough statement, bottom line I use my truck for off roading, not as a pavement Warrior and with that said .... I've never had any issues with my old 2019 Tral Boss soo yes I am disappointed with my ZR2, maybe more with the dealership for the statement they made and not covering the Alternator. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, it's a matter of me venting my frustration with this truck. 😤
All I'll say is that $hit happens. It was, most likely, a bad alternator from the get go that just happened to fail when you were mudding. Was there mud in the alternator? If not, I would argue that with GM and the dealer. You were done wrong my friend. If this is the only issue you've had, then I wouldn't be unhappy with my truck. Everything fails...BMW, MB, Porsche all have lemons too.

They can't just deny the warranty claim. They have to show evidence that the alternator failed due to something that you did. If you submerged it in water and that caused the failure, then that's on you.

We don't see a lot of alternator failures on trucks this new.

What exactly did they charge $1,300 for? That seems insanely high for an alternator replacement.

Additionally, the Trailboss you mentioned is essentially the same truck minus the lockers, the shock differences, very minor lift, and a new dash…if you liked it and found it super reliable, ensure the alternator is swapped under warranty and love the ZR2 as it’s essentially an improved Trailboss (which is what I personally love about it)

Not to add to your frustration, I'm sorry that this happened of course, but if you have 9k miles on it and this is the first time you've taken it "mud bogging", maybe you do use it as a pavement warrior. If you have taken it off-road prior to this without issue, then maybe it wasn't unreliable to begin with?

A broken axle, dropped drive shaft, blown engine, busted differential, or faulty transfer case I could understand being so mad as to make a forum name "Don't buy", but an alternator? lol, that's a little like complaining a truck is no good for off-roading because of a battery.

I took my ZR2 through hundreds of miles of intensive offroading with only a few hundred miles on the odometer in Hot Springs Off-Road Park last July, it was near 100 degrees and several vehicles with us had blowouts and breakdowns, there was mud, rocks, boulders, steep inclines and declines, and my truck had zero issues.

Is there more to the story about the condition of the vehicle besides the alternator? Did you sink the front-end and flood the engine bay and that's the reason the dealer gave for rejecting warranty claim? An alternator is not a huge fix, even in modern vehicles, it seems odd they would reject a claim without other factors being present.

Additionally, the Trailboss you mentioned is essentially the same truck minus the lockers, the shock differences, very minor lift, and a new dash…if you liked it and found it super reliable, ensure the alternator is swapped under warranty and love the ZR2 as it’s essentially an improved Trailboss (which is what I personally love about it)

Need to make sure it's the same alternator. A 2019 could have a completely different alternator since these trucks don't share the same electrical architecture.

Need to make sure it's the same alternator. A 2019 could have a completely different alternator since these trucks don't share the same electrical architecture.
Fair point especially if an alternator is a non warranty catastrophic failure point at $1300 under normal usage…😅

Joking aside, generally speaking, the primary aspects of a half ton truck that I care about for daily driving, hunting, camping/hiking, kayaking, etc it seems to be an upgraded TrailBoss which is what I really like about vs a more extreme Raptor/TRX. Deviating a bit from the thread here but I was really just trying to say that if an alternator issue is what makes you hate the ZR2 vs a ‘19 TrailBoss…if it’s a genuine normal situation, I would strongly recommend checking with another dealer to get it under warranty and I bet the OP will end up loving it for the reasons I mentioned. But to each his own 🤷‍♂️

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back