Dealer Oil Change, “Bless their heart”

Reaction score
Second oil change at dealership(I have a “lifetime drivetrain warranty” that requires all maintenance and work be done by a Certified Technician). I need all the receipts…

Oil looked correct, however my 5 tire(I added a spare tire pressure sensor on my first rotation) rotation was a joke, they swapped my fronts like it was a Corvette 😂, then asked if I wanted to pay $300 for a $50 fuel filter change(at 26%). I wouldn’t trust them with a dead dog… Oil change and “rotation” was $250, which is not terrible if done right

Yeah. That's where they make their money, doing non-warranty, relatively easy work, for high $$$.

My neighbor warned me that his dealer wanted a pile of $$$ to do the fuel filter. I haven't looked at these fuel filter assemblies closely yet, but noticed a fairly easy to reach canister ahead of the tank. Those canister filters are pretty simplistic.

Seems like diesel oil changes are at least $150 or more even at quick Lube shops. I do mine for about $80.

Can't believe they make shit so complicated.

Last edited:
Well, the fuel filter change looks like about a 10 minute job in this video. Couldn't be easier. That canister is easy to get to and easy to drain and clean. Not sure why my neighbor made it sound so bad.

Filters can be had for $30.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not my first, second, or third 2500 diesel, I was taking a sip out of a white Monster energy drink at the moment the lady mentioned the fuel filter, almost blew it in her face

Well, the fuel filter change looks like about a 10 minute job in this video. Couldn't be easier. That canister is easy to get to and easy to drain and clean. Not sure why my neighbor made it sound so bad.

I don’t trust anyone touching my equipment, and I think I will have to bypass my dealer’s “lifetime power train warranty”.

On that Amazon filter, might want to proceed with caution. Some of the reviews are saying they are getting a cheaper non OEM filter in generic packaging, even though it came from the "GM Parts Store"

$60 dollars at the dealer for certain GM parts maybe ain't too bad.

I don’t trust anyone touching my equipment, and I think I will have to bypass my dealer’s “lifetime power train warranty”.
Should be able to save your own receipts for documentation anyway.

On that Amazon filter, might want to proceed with caution. Some of the reviews are saying they are getting a cheaper non OEM filter in generic packaging, even though it came from the "GM Parts Store"

$60 dollars at the dealer for certain GM parts maybe ain't too bad.
I will pay $100 for the filter alone, not paying the “meth tab” for the entire shop

“As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.”, don’t understand why these Shenanigans were added to my last post
LOL....that message started getting added to Amazon link references a couple months back. Never used to do that. Might be a forum thing. Possibly they could be getting a kickback from Amazon.

Last edited:

They get $300 for that? What a RIP!

Anyone who has diesel boats and equipment changes fuel filters/water separators every hundred hours or so, and normally has spares ready to go. Kind of insulting GM would think anyone utilizing a Duramax would be dumb enough to bite on something that basic.

Reactions: AXE
My dealer sold me the 12 package of oil changes and tire rotation /lubing on the hd for 835. It works good for me because I only live few miles away. In retro spec this might be a stellar price. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_4730.png
    IMG_4730.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 13
Should be able to save your own receipts for documentation anyway.
They want ASE Certified Technician receipts. I am a certified electrical/firmware engineer, and I feel a little bit dummer every time set foot in a dealership. I think I would be better off doing everything myself, and pretending the lifetime power train warranty never existed

My dealer sold me the 12 package of oil changes and tire rotation /lubing on the hd for 835. It works good for me because I only live few miles away. In retro spec this might be a stellar price. 😀
That's actually a pretty good deal.

Cheapest you can get 2.5 gallons of good diesel oil for right now is $50 for conventional or $60-70 for synthetic. AC Delco oil filters are $10 at Walmart.

I did air filters and best I could find for OEM filters was $30 for air and $25 for cabin. The AC air filter is pretty good. The cabin filter is nothing special and the Walmart Super Tech looks identical for $10.

They want ASE Certified Technician receipts. I am a certified electrical/firmware engineer, and I feel a little bit dummer every time set foot in a dealership. I think I would be better off doing everything myself, and pretending the lifetime power train warranty never existed
I'm lucky in that I've got a really good service dealer. I've known my service advisor since 1997. We've grown old together. He's gotten me warranty work from GM past the warranty period. The head diesel tech has been there a long time. He tells me, I like working on your truck cause it's always clean and in well maintained. I have to drive a ways now to get there, but it's worth it.

GM has actually been very good to me too. Never any hassles and they've given me discounts on parts outside warranty. All my trucks have been very reliable and low cost maintenence. We'll see how the current ones do in a few years.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's where they make their money, doing non-warranty, relatively easy work, for high $$$.

My neighbor warned me that his dealer wanted a pile of $$$ to do the fuel filter. I haven't looked at these fuel filter assemblies closely yet, but noticed a fairly easy to reach canister ahead of the tank. Those canister filters are pretty simplistic.

Seems like diesel oil changes are at least $150 or more even at quick Lube shops. I do mine for about $80.

Can't believe they make shit so complicated.
If you shelled out $10k for diesel, the accountants are spit balling..maybe he likes it from behind with no grease..

I'm lucky in that I've got a really good service dealer. I've known my service advisor since 1997. We've grown old together. He's gotten me warranty work from GM past the warranty period. The head diesel tech has been there a long time. He tells me, I like working on your truck cause it's always clean and in well maintained. I have to drive a ways now to get there, but it's worth it.

GM has actually been very good to me too. Never any hassles and they've given me discounts on parts outside warranty. Ask my trucks have been very reliable and low cost maintenence. We'll see how the current ones do in a few years.
I wish I could find a dealership like that. Not likely around here

I also put a dab of nail polish on all the grease ports, none were touched. Want it done right, do it yourself. I will go back when I need a transmission tech, only person in the shop who knows what he/she/whatever is doing, in my experience.

That's actually a pretty good deal.

Cheapest you can get 2.5 gallons of good diesel oil for right now is $50 for conventional or $60-70 for synthetic. AC Delco oil filters are $10 at Walmart.

I did air filters and best I could find for OEM filters was $30 for air and $25 for cabin. The AC air filter is pretty good. The cabin filter is nothing special and the Walmart Super Tech looks identical for $10.
Plus the free wipers and top the def off. There was one free service with truck so im good for a while, Ill use one early at 1500 miles 😀

Most Member Reactions

Back