DFM delete

I'm guessing some of the higher mileage 22 ZR2 rigs are hitting 40-50k miles now 3 years in. I think it'll be more interesting to see how long these motors can go with no issue. We already know they can break down early, say inside 20k miles. If there aren't trucks breaking at 40 to 50k, I bet they go 100-150k just like the afm motors.

Not sure there's a real difference in how you drive it or not. I've done 4 oil changes at 10k. I've tested the oil at Blackstone and it looks fine. I run mine through the gears, but don't abuse it. If it goes, the only real reason is bad parts/materials, poor machining/tolerances, poor QC, poor manufacturing.

Unless you get GM to compile the data and publish it, it'll just be a guess.

Last edited:
I'm guessing some of the higher mileage 22 ZR2 rigs are hitting 40-50k miles now 3 years in. I think it'll be more interesting to see how long these motors can go with no issue. We already know they can break down early, say inside 20k miles. If there aren't trucks breaking at 40 to 50k, I bet they go 100-150k just like the afm motors.

Not sure there's a real difference in how you drive it or not. I've done 4 oil changed at 10k. I've tested the oil at Blackstone and it looks fine. I run mine through the gears, but don't abuse it. If it goes, the only real reason is bad parts/materials, poor machining/tolerances, poor QC, poor manufacturing.

Unless you get GM to compiled the data and publish it, it'll just be a guess.
i agree..im also on sooner than later oil change intervals.

Just did my last one last week at a 3K mile interval. I have 8300 miles on her and had 3 oil changes already.
Tahoe oil analysis looks about the same at 3 oil changes at 10k. Oil test interval was 2000 on ZR2 and 5000 on Tahoe at 10k miles. I would be comfortable at 5k intervals. If you decide 2500-3000k is your comfort zone, I say do it. Also use a good quality name brand 0W20 oil and your good. Motors aren't blowing because of brand, most oils are great quality with slightly different additive packages.

Cost me $60 an OC with a free tire rotation.
Just curious, where is the $60 oil change? It would probably be around that price if I didn't use the Lucas oil stabilizer..... One quart of synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer is $20.
I paid just over $90 for 7 quarts of oil, a filter and one quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. Most of the time they have the five quarts of oil and the filter on sale at AutoZone for $35, but we need those three extra quarts.
I purchased road hazard insurance for my tires at discount tire. It was $50/tire. So if I ever have a flat or a blowout or any road damage, I just pay $40 deductible and get a new tire. I get free balance and rotations also. It's a pretty good deal I think.
I had some idiot put a knife through my tire last year and I had to pay $325 for a new tire from the dealership (The dealership was actually the cheapest I could find) That's when I purchased the insurance. The rotation and balance are part of the deal. I'm pretty sure any discount tire does free rotations though. I don't know if they have those in Florida or not I can't remember. Used to live in Ocala in the late 90's.

Just curious, where is the $60 oil change? It would probably be around that price if I didn't use the Lucas oil stabilizer..... One quart of synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer is $20.
I paid just over $90 for 7 quarts of oil, a filter and one quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. Most of the time they have the five quarts of oil and the filter on sale at AutoZone for $35, but we need those three extra quarts.
I purchased road hazard insurance for my tires at discount tire. It was $50/tire. So if I ever have a flat or a blowout or any road damage, I just pay $40 deductible and get a new tire. I get free balance and rotations also. It's a pretty good deal I think.
I had some idiot put a knife through my tire last year and I had to pay $325 for a new tire from the dealership (The dealership was actually the cheapest I could find) That's when I purchased the insurance. The rotation and balance are part of the deal. I'm pretty sure any discount tire does free rotations though. I don't know if they have those in Florida or not I can't remember. Used to live in Ocala in the late 90's.
that insurance is a great deal dude...i attribute price diff in oil changes to vary by region. my bro owns a speed shop and he does the right thing. my truck gets the once over and a tire rotate every visit. i also take care of the tech. my local dealer advertises $129 oil change, tire rotate and 20 point inspection with a coupon.

I've done every oil change on my truck except for the one free one they give us. Just curious.... I know on cars you're only supposed to rotate the tires every 5 to 6,000 mi but what about these MT 'S? Can we rotate them every 2000 to 2500 mi without damaging the tires? Is it actually better to rotate the mud tires sooner? Just curious to what you guys think.

I've done every oil change on my truck except for the one free one they give us. Just curious.... I know on cars you're only supposed to rotate the tires every 5 to 6,000 mi but what about these MT 'S? Can we rotate them every 2000 to 2500 mi without damaging the tires? Is it actually better to rotate the mud tires sooner? Just curious to what you guys think.
All the mud terrain tires that I have run on various Jeeps & trucks were rotated at 4K. Keep an eye on the outer edges for cupping. I found 4K worked good and no cupping.

i dont know technical answer but in my case, i dont offroad, i keep 38psi and they look brand new approaching 10k miles. paint still inside tread. its working for me.

Coggin Chevrolet in Jacksonville. They normally charge $89 for an oil change with a free tire rotation. They typically run a special on Facebook for 50% off. After taxes and shop fees, it comes out to be around $57 out the door.

You can rotate every week if you like.

Most Member Reactions

Back