Diesel option?

hockeyman70s

Reaction score
What do we think will the bison edition come with a duramax option? Do we think the next model year zr2 may come with the duramax? Thanks

Doesn't look like it's coming for 2023. I do think they need to make it available though.

If the ZR2 is supposed to be a sport pickup putting a gutless little diesel in it wouldn't make sense, GM already is catching enough grief for not have more power in the ZR2. with the Trail boss diesel option that seems more logical to me, it's not advertised as the top of the line GM offroad rig.

If the ZR2 is supposed to be a sport pickup putting a gutless little diesel in it wouldn't make sense, GM already is catching enough grief for not have more power in the ZR2. with the Trail boss diesel option that seems more logical to me, it's not advertised as the top of the line GM offroad rig.

The 3.0L is not gutless.

Compared to what ? my sister bought one , I wasn't impressed with the power but the economy is good. though with GM's diesel engine record I won't be jumping on board for a decade or two I've seen way too many train wrecks.

Full size pickups don't need to turn in good pass times at the strip, but I just don't see GM cutting power on the ZR2 and falling even farther behind the competition. but who knows I've guessed wrong before.

Compared to what ? my sister bought one , I wasn't impressed with the power but the economy is good. though with GM's diesel engine record I won't be jumping on board for a decade or two I've seen way too many train wrecks.

Full size pickups don't need to turn in good pass times at the strip, but I just don't see GM cutting power on the ZR2 and falling even farther behind the competition. but who knows I've guessed wrong before.
It makes max torque at 1500 rpm. 95% at 1250 rpm. It pulls strong all the way to around 3k and doesn't really fall off to below 300ft lbs. until past 4k rpm. That's great for an off road truck like the ZR2.

The L87 doesn't make max torque until it hits 4200rpm. and it doesn't make max hp until 5700rpm. Now, the 6.2L doesn't drop to below 300tq like the diesel but when you're crawling or off roading, that quick low end torque from the diesel will be great.

It makes max torque at 1500 rpm. 95% at 1250 rpm. It pulls strong all the way to around 3k and doesn't really fall off to below 300ft lbs. until past 4k rpm. That's great for an off road truck like the ZR2.

The L87 doesn't make max torque until it hits 4200rpm. and it doesn't make max hp until 5700rpm. Now, the 6.2L doesn't drop to below 300tq like the diesel but when you're crawling or off roading, that quick low end torque from the diesel will be great.

All the more reason for them to offer it as an option, question is if it'll fit in the bay...

I looked up the specs and for HP and torque it's almost up to the old 7.3 powerjoke. having owned several of those it confirms whet I thought about my sisters pickup performance. and about half what my '22 6.7 powerjoke has, and it is impressive.

I think I'll set this diesel out but I hope they do offer it. it might make getting a 6.2 easier.

I would love for GM to announce next month that the 2023 ZR2 can come with either the 6.2L or the new 3.0L LZO Diesel option. While I love a V8 engine. I prefer the extra range a Diesel engine offers. I'm not in theTRX, Raptor R monster V8 getting 8 miles per gallon club. I'm not gonna be running Baja with it. My ZR2 it gonna be a hauling, going on cross country road trips. It's gonna hold my truck vault system to get me to those outdoor gun ranges. while serving as a bug out vehicle if needed. Now If someone offers a snorkel kit for either the 6.2L or 3.0L would be a bonus.

All the more reason for them to offer it as an option, question is if it'll fit in the bay...
My understanding is that this is the problem and also the reason you can't get the diesel today in the Z71 Tahoe (shared front bumper/grill/engine bay dynamics) as you can in all other Tahoe packages. Will be interesting to see if the next gen 3.0 becomes available in the Z71 Tahoe as one would then assume it would fit in the ZR2 as well. Could possibly be a primary driver behind a second gen 3.0? Just speculation here but does seem to make some logical sense when you consider the Tahoe z71 situation as well.

So I just got off the Phone with AEV and asked if bumper/skid plate etc will be offered to non Bison owners. I was told this is all GM and no idea if You will be able to take your truck back to the dealership and order the parts directly. I get it from a standpoint that GM wants to sell more ZR2 Bison's at an inflated price. But I sure hope they will offer us the option to install later the bumper/skid plates and rims to our trucks.

So I just got off the Phone with AEV and asked if bumper/skid plate etc will be offered to non Bison owners. I was told this is all GM and no idea if You will be able to take your truck back to the dealership and order the parts directly. I get it from a standpoint that GM wants to sell more ZR2 Bison's at an inflated price. But I sure hope they will offer us the option to install later the bumper/skid plates and rims to our trucks.
I would almost bet that some of the stuff will be offered as an accessory. The rest can be ordered as standard service parts and installed yourself or by a shop.

Certain dealers that dabble in “modifying” trucks may also be capable of the installation.

Anything that isn’t original equipment to the VIN would be protected by the standard parts warranty. I wouldn’t hold your breath for 3/36 as everything is ran and authorized by VIN.

You can’t buy a Trail Boss and throw ZR2 suspension on it and expect GM to back it in bumper to bumper.

Most Member Reactions

Back