Does your ZR2 have paint chipping?

Does your truck have paint chipping issues?

• Total voters

dvire

Founding Member
Reaction score
Many people are posting about having paint chipping on their brand new truck. Use this poll to get an idea of how many people are having paint issues on their new ZR2.

Mine was built 4/19 and I’ve had it since 5/25. Truck has been washed weekly and waxed twice. Haven’t seen a failure (yet). Truck is still too new for accurate data from me.

The hood scoop area chipping reminds me of the issues around the third brake light on the GMT900’s. The light was installed too early on soft paint and the edges of the light dig into the roof. Have seen many trucks (at that time) getting entire roofs replaced under warranty if they got lucky enough for the truck to rot to a actual hole in the roof. As the corrosion warranty only covers through-rot.

Unfortunately, the damage was non appearance until it was too late in most instances.

My truck is silver, which may make it harder to see any chipping but I have looked closely and cannot see any chipping.

Mine was built 4/19 and I’ve had it since 5/25. Truck has been washed weekly and waxed twice. Haven’t seen a failure (yet). Truck is still too new for accurate data from me.

The hood scoop area chipping reminds me of the issues around the third brake light on the GMT900’s. The light was installed too early on soft paint and the edges of the light dig into the roof. Have seen many trucks (at that time) getting entire roofs replaced under warranty if they got lucky enough for the truck to rot to a actual hole in the roof. As the corrosion warranty only covers through-rot.

Unfortunately, the damage was non appearance until it was too late in most instances.

Mine was built 4/22. 1000 miles so far so good.

Built early 3/22 with now 4900 on it and no chipping. It's seen one road trip and some offroad use.
I had it ceramic coated 2 weeks ago and I think it was well worth the investment not to mention it makes washing it really quick and easy.

Silverado 2022 - Black - Paint is chipping on the hood in 4 locations around the hood scoop. 2500mi.

Yes, Northsky metallic and paint is chipping around hood scoop in both rear corners, and looks to be starting in front corners. I have not noticed any other spots as described on this forum. I hope they come up with a fix/recall soon.

Picked my summit white ZR2 up last Tuesday and didn’t notice the chipping around the hood scoop until I read this forum. Not too worried about it. I’ll be happy as long as I don’t have lifter failure at 18,000 miles like my 2021 5.3 trailboss.

Does anybody actually have 'peeling' paint on the hoods, indicating that once it starts it wont stop, or more to the tune of a few spots where the paint has been rubbed down to base metal between the scoop and the hood? Mine since new had minor 'rubbage' at the upper scoop corners and extremely slight (you would never notice if not looking) at the lower front corners. Now 2000miles later (with a decent amount of those bouncing around offroad) only the upper corner marks have grown slightly. Yeah it sucks on a brand new $75k truck, but there could be far worse to be dealing with. I'm not super concerned about it at this point since paint rubbed away between two adjoining surfaces shouldn't grow beyond a certain point of material flexibility limits. At least until the 'official' GM fix comes out, they touch up our hoods and we can then PPF.

Does anybody actually have 'peeling' paint on the hoods, indicating that once it starts it wont stop, or more to the tune of a few spots where the paint has been rubbed down to base metal between the scoop and the hood? Mine since new had minor 'rubbage' at the upper scoop corners and extremely slight (you would never notice if not looking) at the lower front corners. Now 2000miles later (with a decent amount of those bouncing around offroad) only the upper corner marks have grown slightly. Yeah it sucks on a brand new $75k truck, but there could be far worse to be dealing with. I'm not super concerned about it at this point since paint rubbed away between two adjoining surfaces shouldn't grow beyond a certain point of material flexibility limits. At least until the 'official' GM fix comes out, they touch up our hoods and we can then PPF.
My only peeling is the rock chip gaurd.

My only peeling is the rock chip gaurd.
From what I've seen on this forum regarding the rock chip guard issues, yes that would definitely concern me more. Luckily I have no sign of that. I wonder if its due to a later build date (8/22) where they had fixed the problem by then, or perhaps my high-clearance side steps keeping flying debris from jump starting the process.

Most Member Reactions

Back