Doug DeMuro reviews the Silverado ZR2

Premature conclusion I would say. I think people will be very surprised by what it actually does offroad with "less equipment". Raptor and TRX are characatures that many enthusiasts snicker at. ZR2 isn't trying to be that. Simply an extremely capable truck, with great comfort, great technology, and the ability to take narrow trails without issue. The locking front Diff is also game changer.

We know TFL Truck thought The Trailboss boss held its own and they really like it. The ZR2 is that and more.

Premature conclusion I would say. I think people will be very surprised by what it actually does offroad with "less equipment". Raptor and TRX are characatures that many enthusiasts snicker at. ZR2 isn't trying to be that. Simply an extremely capable truck, with great comfort, great technology, and the ability to take narrow trails without issue. The locking front Diff is also game changer.

We know TFL Truck thought The Trailboss boss held its own and they really like it. The ZR2 is that and more.
It’s been said before but the ZR2 doesn’t compete with either the Raptor or TRX.
They are both out of its league as things stand right now.
Doug makes a great point when saying both the Raptor and the ZR2 start at almost the same price. If the Raptor was more readily available I think the ZR2 would sell less units.

It’s been said before but the ZR2 doesn’t compete with either the Raptor or TRX.
They are both out of its league as things stand right now.
Doug makes a great point when saying both the Raptor and the ZR2 start at almost the same price. If the Raptor was more readily available I think the ZR2 would sell less units.
Yea, I think this is much more comparable to the Tundra TRD Pro. But it is definitely a rock crawler instead of a desert runner like the Raptor and TRX.

I think the complete disregard for the difference in the particular markets they are trying to capture is foolish. ZR2 is an off-road trail pickup, hence why it's body is not widened. Raptor does off-road but I consider it a Baja pickup. Apples and oranges here. Btw, the ZR2 isn't that "available" in case you hadn't noticed. If you're underwhelmed with the ZR2, by all means don't spend 70k on it. That makes NO sense.

Like I said, it isn't trying to be a Raptor or TRX. However, it is an extremely capable truck that few will match.

I think the complete disregard for the difference in the particular markets they are trying to capture is foolish. ZR2 is an off-road trail pickup, hence why it's body is not widened. Raptor does off-road but I consider it a Baja pickup. Apples and oranges here. Btw, the ZR2 isn't that "available" in case you hadn't noticed. If you're underwhelmed with the ZR2, by all means don't spend 70k on it. That makes NO sense.
You should see the mess in the Raptor forum about deliveries. People had initially placed 2021 orders that were never built and had their orders canceled or moved to a 22. 2021 models built and delivered at the same time as 2022 models. 8-9 months build times.
The ZR2 so far has gone smoothly when compared to the Ford Raptor debacle.

it's more then capable enough for 95% of the buyers in the market for these type of trucks. in a lot of ways it's the better truck being that it's not as wide and tows better. it's a sick truck

I find Doug difficult to watch, just a little too expressive for my taste. TFL will have a better, more relevant review. Alex on Autos did a thorough review, and spoke better to the design intent of this pickup.

My Opinon: The ZR2 will go places the TRX and Ford cannot (without incurring a fresh suite of pinstripes) on overland trails throughout the country. The ZR2 will cost ~$5k less per year than the TRX. The base model Ford is equipped with an impressive output V6, but it's still V6 with mediocre exhaust notes - even if digitally enhanced. The interior of the TRX is plush, but the huge bezel vertical infotainment screen looks dated already. The ZR2 will competently fulfill pickup duty, overland duty, and moderate speed desert running. The long term maintenance costs of the suspension components and powertrain of the ZR2 will likely be lower than the electronically controlled components in the TRX or Ford, due in large part to redundancy of components shared across the full-size lineup as well as the durability of the mechanical MM DSSV dampers.

The Ford was designed to establish a new class of mid-sized pickups, as that company so often has done and thank God they did. The TRX was designed to inspire boners, indulge in excess, make money, and beat said Ford on all the numbers. The ZR2 was purpose built to take on the mountain trails most overland/off-road YouTubers and enthusiasts will want to travel, and seamlessly transition to the role of a daily driver, while maintaining traditional pickup utility.

I find Doug difficult to watch, just a little too expressive for my taste. TFL will have a better, more relevant review. Alex on Autos did a thorough review, and spoke better to the design intent of this pickup.

My Opinon: The ZR2 will go places the TRX and Ford cannot (without incurring a fresh suite of pinstripes) on overland trails throughout the country. The ZR2 will cost ~$5k less per year than the TRX. The base model Ford is equipped with an impressive output V6, but it's still V6 with mediocre exhaust notes - even if digitally enhanced. The interior of the TRX is plush, but the huge bezel vertical infotainment screen looks dated already. The ZR2 will competently fulfill pickup duty, overland duty, and moderate speed desert running. The long term maintenance costs of the suspension components and powertrain of the ZR2 will likely be lower than the electronically controlled components in the TRX or Ford, due in large part to redundancy of components shared across the full-size lineup as well as the durability of the mechanical MM DSSV dampers.

The Ford was designed to establish a new class of mid-sized pickups, as that company so often has done and thank God they did. The TRX was designed to inspire boners, indulge in excess, make money, and beat said Ford on all the numbers. The ZR2 was purpose built to take on the mountain trails most overland/off-road YouTubers and enthusiasts will want to travel, and seamlessly transition to the role of a daily driver, while maintaining traditional pickup utility.
this

Here's another review ..this guy seems points out the good and a number of cons.

To me ..it's really weird to promote a full sized truck as a rock crawler ...really?
I already have a Jeep for that and why would anyone need to take a huge truck offroad?

Lol then why are you even on this forum
I'm more interested in its on-road abilities and comfort.
I cant imagine many people on here are going to be taking a full sized pickup to MOAB.

You'd be very surprised.
I’ve had my Wrangler for 5 yrs now and can count the number of full sized pickups I’ve seen rock crawling on one hand. Trails are very different then rock crawling. The length of the trucks is a serious disadvantage.

You should see the mess in the Raptor forum about deliveries. People had initially placed 2021 orders that were never built and had their orders canceled or moved to a 22. 2021 models built and delivered at the same time as 2022 models. 8-9 months build times.
The ZR2 so far has gone smoothly when compared to the Ford Raptor debacle.
I have an order that was placed October 2021. Scheduled to be built Feb 2022. It has been delayed 3 times and is scheduled for May, but I’d shocked if it isn’t delayed again. It’s the sole reason I have a deposit on a ZR2. I just can’t keep waiting

I'm more interested in its on-road abilities and comfort.
I cant imagine many people on here are going to be taking a full sized pickup to MOAB.
I do. I live in hurricane. the zr2 isn't a full on rock crawler just like your jeep isn't and a raptor isn't a trophy truck. For the off roading that 99% of new vehicle shoppers do it's just fine

I’ve had my Wrangler for 5 yrs now and can count the number of full sized pickups I’ve seen rock crawling on one hand. Trails are very different then rock crawling. The length of the trucks is a serious disadvantage.
Lol tell us about all the extensive rock crawling you have experienced in texas? No need to lecture all of us about rock crawling when your only interested in it's "on road" manners

Lol tell us about all the extensive rock crawling you have experienced in texas? No need to lecture all of us about rock crawling when your only interested in it's "on road" manners
Lol …I just moved here 4 months ago Mr I want to rock crawl a barge.

Most Member Reactions

Back