Doug DeMuro reviews the Silverado ZR2

Well, I rock crawl A LOT in the spring and summer months. On this particular trip there were multiple pickups. Now, perhaps they aren’t going up big rock formations like say on Wheeler Lake near Breckenridge or Holy Cross but they can easily do Argentine Pass and other mid to low difficulty situation. I remember once watching an unmodded powerwagon on Middle St Vrain Pass. It’s not an easy one but the driver stomped right through it. The fact that he got through the Gatekeep obsticle was impressive enough but he also trudged through multiple water crossings and the very challenging Rock Garden obstacle.

Of course there are obvious limitations. The breakover angle being the biggest issue in crawling. I very much plan to get some frame mounted rock sliders. I damaged the side steps on my Raptor, twice, going over a few challenges. The width of a full size was an issue several times. I couldn’t go through McClellon Mt Trail because there is a sharp turn in a narrow spot of the trail that was pretty much impassible for me. The Jeep, of course, just walked through it.
51533741544_f6fb35bcb4_b.jpg

Real talk; I straight up hate Doug DeMuro’s stupid fat face, with his tongue that’s way to big for his mouth. I hate his stupid voice, I hate his condescending tone, I hate his overconfident science teacher vibe, I straight up hate him. I have zero idea how this oafish clown became some arbiter of vehicle taste.

I normally enjoy most of his content but every vehicle is bench marked against the most expensive or most luxurious on the market. Every video always ends with this is shit spend 10’s of thousands or in some cases 100’s more on a different car because it’s better.

This one for sure is a perfect example of that. Utter disregard for standard equipment and comparing bare bones rivals to a almost loaded truck and saying it’s a poor value and a disappointment.

The pricing is absolutely incorrect and it’s pathetic he was so blatantly untruthful. A Raptor equipped to compete with the ZR2 is 7k more. A TRX is 20. Before markup. It’s an absolutely ignorant review and the bias against General Motors products in general is obvious.

I normally enjoy most of his content but every vehicle is bench marked against the most expensive or most luxurious on the market. Every video always ends with this is shit spend 10’s of thousands or in some cases 100’s more on a different car because it’s better.

This one for sure is a perfect example of that. Utter disregard for standard equipment and comparing bare bones rivals to a almost loaded truck and saying it’s a poor value and a disappointment.

The pricing is absolutely incorrect and it’s pathetic he was so blatantly untruthful. A Raptor equipped to compete with the ZR2 is 7k more. A TRX is 20. Before markup. It’s an absolutely ignorant review and the bias against General Motors products in general is obvious.

While I wouldn’t say DeMuro is biased against GM I do agree he was off base with this review. You’re absolutely right about the feature content. The Raptor’s 801A pkg is $4755. The sunroof must be packaged with the power tailgate, which goes for $2195. Of course that is a panoramic sunroof, something I wish Chevy/GMC would offer. There are several features Ford has over GM, like the folding workstation table in the armrest (I love it) but of course GM has things as well like the Multi-function tailgate (I love that too)..

At the end of the day, they really are built for two different purposes. As I’ve said before, the Raptor/TRX are desert runners. The ZR2 is a crawler/off roader, more akin to the Tundra TRD Pro. IMO, Chevy has that truck beat.

While I wouldn’t say DeMuro is biased against GM I do agree he was off base with this review. You’re absolutely right about the feature content. The Raptor’s 801A pkg is $4755. The sunroof must be packaged with the power tailgate, which goes for $2195. Of course that is a panoramic sunroof, something I wish Chevy/GMC would offer. There are several features Ford has over GM, like the folding workstation table in the armrest (I love it) but of course GM has things as well like the Multi-function tailgate (I love that too)..

At the end of the day, they really are built for two different purposes. As I’ve said before, the Raptor/TRX are desert runners. The ZR2 is a crawler/off roader, more akin to the Tundra TRD Pro. IMO, Chevy has that truck beat.
I have mixed feelings about panoramics. I’ve replaced many of them in Fords. As the rear panel drops out the bottom and is laminated. Not ideal for the perfect rock drop or acorn.

If you live in a “hot” climate the rubber “seal” quickly degrades in several years and overwhelms the drain system. I’ve ran many a bead Pro flex RV sealer around the perimeter as most people can’t shell out the 1200 for the entire panel plus the labor to gut your truck to floor to drop the headliner.

That being said. They look nice.

I have mixed feelings about panoramics. I’ve replaced many of them in Fords. As the rear panel drops out the bottom and is laminated. Not ideal for the perfect rock drop or acorn.

If you live in a “hot” climate the rubber “seal” quickly degrades in several years and overwhelms the drain system. I’ve ran many a bead Pro flex RV sealer around the perimeter as most people can’t shell out the 1200 for the entire panel plus the labor to gut your truck to floor to drop the headliner.

That being said. They look nice.
They also seem to always end up creeking and rattling. Especially if you off road

Most Member Reactions

Back