Duramax or Gas?

securityguy

Reaction score
So, I am really pondering getting a 2500 HD even though I don't haul and don't tow. It will just be one big toy! I LOVE the look of the new HD and can't stop looking at my options. The diesel adds about $10K to the cost of the truck and I'll never get my money back out of it since I'll keep her 2 years at most before moving onto my next toy. Looking at possibly going with a loaded High Country Midnight Edition gasser which, fully optioned, will be around $82K MSRP. Would love some insights from folks that know far more than I do when it comes to HDs. If I buy a gasser HD, will the resale be far worse than that of the Duramax? Is it really worth the $10K? Trying to think through all of my options, and fully understand the pros and cons as I start to look at making a decision. The ZR2 variant is more than I want to spend, but not out of the question. I wish I could get a ZR2 in a Midnight Edition 😞 Leaning towards the High Country since my wife is 5' tall and wants my next truck to have the power steps (I know I can always add them to the ZR2) and I don't do any off-roading except for taking her out on the beaches here in FL. I, typically drive about 6-7K miles per year since I work from home to give a better picture of use.

So, based on what I shared, what are your thoughts on gasser versus diesel and some pros and cons understanding my use above?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Ultimately, we can’t answer what you should or shouldn’t do my man, your money, your call. Generally speaking, the gas will not feel as strong as the diesel, but you aren’t going to really tap into either of them unloaded. You aren’t going to even push them to a light sweat….diesel won’t even be broke in when you trade. It’s a massive overkill situation and you’ll be sacrificing ride quality. But, in the end you’ll lose more money on the gas than the diesel, regardless of length you keep it…an HD gas truck will not have the same resale market demand as the duramax…period.

So, I am really pondering getting a 2500 HD even though I don't haul and don't tow. It will just be one big toy! I LOVE the look of the new HD and can't stop looking at my options. The diesel adds about $10K to the cost of the truck and I'll never get my money back out of it since I'll keep her 2 years at most before moving onto my next toy. Looking at possibly going with a loaded High Country Midnight Edition gasser which, fully optioned, will be around $82K MSRP. Would love some insights from folks that know far more than I do when it comes to HDs. If I buy a gasser HD, will the resale be far worse than that of the Duramax? Is it really worth the $10K? Trying to think through all of my options, and fully understand the pros and cons as I start to look at making a decision. The ZR2 variant is more than I want to spend, but not out of the question. I wish I could get a ZR2 in a Midnight Edition 😞 Leaning towards the High Country since my wife is 5' tall and wants my next truck to have the power steps (I know I can always add them to the ZR2) and I don't do any off-roading except for taking her out on the beaches here in FL. I, typically drive about 6-7K miles per year since I work from home to give a better picture of use.

So, based on what I shared, what are your thoughts on gasser versus diesel and some pros and cons understanding my use above?

Thanks guys!
The irony isn’t lost on me that you are extremely vocal about guys wanting $300 CAIs and how it’s overkill and a waste of money but you are talking about an $80k+ HD truck and using it as a grocery getter in FL 😂😂😂 (flipping you some crap here)

Ultimately, we can’t answer what you should or shouldn’t do my man, your money, your call. Generally speaking, the gas will not feel as strong as the diesel, but you aren’t going to really tap into either of them unloaded. You aren’t going to even push them to a light sweat….diesel won’t even be broke in when you trade. It’s a massive overkill situation and you’ll be sacrificing ride quality. But, in the end you’ll lose more money on the gas than the diesel, regardless of length you keep it…an HD gas truck will not have the same resale market demand as the duramax…period.
life is short...i say get which ever model lays the best patch of rubber!!

Like others said, there is even less resale with an HD truck with a gas engine. If you’re itching for a new toy, go diesel for the added value.

If you are considering gas, what is the driver behind getting rid of the 6.2 1500?

Reactions: AXE
Like others said, there is even less resale with an HD truck with a gas engine. If you’re itching for a new toy, go diesel for the added value.

If you are considering gas, what is the driver behind getting rid of the 6.2 1500?
I get bored fast. Love my truck...just thinking about what's next. Is it a 2024 1500 High Country Midnight Edition Gas/Diesel? 2024 1500 ZR2 Gas/Diesel? 2500 HD High Country Gas/Diesel? 2500 HD ZR2?

Decisions...decisions :unsure:

Reactions: AXE
The irony isn’t lost on me that you are extremely vocal about guys wanting $300 CAIs and how it’s overkill and a waste of money but you are talking about an $80k+ HD truck and using it as a grocery getter in FL 😂😂😂 (flipping you some crap here)
You're not wrong my friend. I look at CAIs differently I guess. Makes more noise and does nothing to enhance the truck unless you pop the hood and stare at your motor. Now...if you could drive down the street or highway, without a hood, then it may make sense for all to see :) You are right...it's all relative.

I would get both and see which one you like after 60 days and sell the other one.

My 2500HD Duramax trucks have been the least expensive vehicles I've owned even though they cost the most at the time.

Like Hunt said, ain't no problem getting your money back on a diesel. If you make a good deal on entry price, you might not spend much. Don't think it will be as good on the gasser, but it's a premium truck someone will want it.

The problem with the HD ZR2 right now is it's gonna be hard to get much of a deal since there won't be too many available anytime soon. I've been stocking up on lube and doing yoga since I placed my order cause I know I'm getting bent!

You're not wrong my friend. I look at CAIs differently I guess. Makes more noise and does nothing to enhance the truck unless you pop the hood and stare at your motor. Now...if you could drive down the street or highway, without a hood, then it may make sense for all to see :) You are right...it's all relative.
I like the 6.6 liter LT engine. I wish we could have had it as an option in the 1500. A real LT / LS style engine without all the nanny crap. I can see why GM didn't offer it though, as it would have conflicted with the current 6.2 liter. I'm an old guy so getting what you want is important. I enjoy watching you accessorize these truck.

Some gasser reviews. I've watched other revues from these guys and their is some good information.

I'd get the 6.6 gas in a heart beat. Diesel is best for towing. With all the emissions stuff on them, they actually aren't very happy short tripping, idling and very light use. They need to be worked to keep the DPF clean. They cost more upfront and to maintain. With no towing and low mileage use, it really is a waste of money to step up to a duramax. The 6.6 gas also doesn't have the crappy DFM our 6.2 does. Resale won't matter in a year and 7k miles. They will take a similar hit. Where the diesel shines is once its several years old and has 100k+ on it, It will hold more value. My last one I kept 11 years.

I Paid 41k for it sold it for 27k with almost 180k miles on it. At the same time I purchased it used, 6 months old with 5k miles on it. Sticker was 53k. So the first guy still took a decent hit diesel or not. Remember that whole precovid general rule of you lose 5-10% the second you drive off the lot? That applies diesel or not. A year with less than 10k isn't going to matter gas vs diesel.

I'd get the 6.6 gas in a heart beat. Diesel is best for towing. With all the emissions stuff on them, they actually aren't very happy short tripping, idling and very light use. They need to be worked to keep the DPF clean. They cost more upfront and to maintain. With no towing and low mileage use, it really is a waste of money to step up to a duramax. The 6.6 gas also doesn't have the crappy DFM our 6.2 does. Resale won't matter in a year and 7k miles. They will take a similar hit. Where the diesel shines is once its several years old and has 100k+ on it, It will hold more value. My last one I kept 11 years.

I Paid 41k for it sold it for 27k with almost 180k miles on it. At the same time I purchased it used, 6 months old with 5k miles on it. Sticker was 53k. So the first guy still took a decent hit diesel or not. Remember that whole precovid general rule of you lose 5-10% the second you drive off the lot? That applies diesel or not. A year with less than 10k isn't going to matter gas vs diesel.
Thanks 8ball...I feel like this is great advice. All of my trips are very short...less than 5-10 miles. If a diesel isn't happy doing short distance stretches, then a gasser may be my best option...and I'll save $10K in the process if I go with a High Country HD.

Thanks 8ball...I feel like this is great advice. All of my trips are very short...less than 5-10 miles. If a diesel isn't happy doing short distance stretches, then a gasser may be my best option...and I'll save $10K in the process if I go with a High Country HD.
Np, yeah imo you are basically on the opposite end of a diesel. If you didn't tow, but you had a 1 hour commute twice a day. Or you took long trips every weekend. Planned on logging lots of miles in a short time. Then even with out towing diesel might be the way to go. Your use case is actually about the worse case for a diesel. Especially one running a DPF and DEF. But even with out the emissions, you probably aren't even burning off the condensation in the motor in 10 mins.

I keep the ZR2, buy a Ducati Hypermotard, a KTM 350EXC-F, and the new Can Am Maverick R and a 16 foot tandem axle enclosed Victory trailer and never look back!

Most Member Reactions

Back