Engine break in period

markbern

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Getting my Z tomorrow :) I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are for engine break in. I hear a lot of conflicting reports (ie) they are broken in sufficiently at the plant, baby her for the first 1000 miles, oil change after the first 500, do not exceed 88km or 55 mile per hour for the first 805 miles and refrain from keeping the vehicle at a constant speed.

Anyone have any real world advice on the matter or suggestions? Not keen of effing up a brand new 6.2L, but also not keen on waiting to romp on her if I don't have to haha.

Hey all! Getting my Z tomorrow :) I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are for engine break in. I hear a lot of conflicting reports (ie) they are broken in sufficiently at the plant, baby her for the first 1000 miles, oil change after the first 500, do not exceed 88km or 55 mile per hour for the first 805 miles and refrain from keeping the vehicle at a constant speed.

Anyone have any real world advice on the matter or suggestions? Not keen of effing up a brand new 6.2L, but also not keen on waiting to romp on her if I don't have to haha.
... I too pickup my ZR2 tomorrow, Friday. As far as break-in period, going to do the traditional route to be safe.

Here's what I found from page 219...
1654809401247.png

So I'm assuming making a 60 mile trip on the interstate right out of the dealership is a no go?
That's going to be the hardest part. How to keep the speed fluctuating while bringing her home. I have to go down a highway too, looks like it is back roads for folks like us.

Just put it in L and use the paddle shifters to fluctuate the rpm's every so often. Remember it's not vehicle speed, but engine speed....rpm's.

Just put it in L and use the paddle shifters to fluctuate the rpm's every so often. Remember it's not vehicle speed, but engine speed... rpm's.
Is that safe to do though? It also says in the manual to avoid downshifting.

Yes, with a 10 speed transmission you can cycle through 8-10 without significantly slowing down. The manual is talking about using it in the lower gears to slow the vehicle down, instead or along with the brakes. Like if you were towing or hauling a heavy load and using the transmission as an engine brake.

Yes, with a 10 speed transmission you can cycle through 8-10 without significantly slowing down. The manual is talking about using it in the lower gears to slow the vehicle down, instead or along with the brakes. Like if you were towing or hauling a heavy load and using the transmission as an engine brake.
Ah I gotcha, kk perfect, thank you for the tip!!

Beauty! I got the PPF ceramic and all the mods done, they are just wrapping up so I will see her today after I leave work! Can't wait!!!
I got to take it out for a test drive and it's sharp. A bit quiet for my taste, but that'll get fixed in time lol.

I got to take it out for a test drive and it's sharp. A bit quiet for my taste, but that'll get fixed in time lol.
First mods put on were S&B CAI and Borla Atak catback exhuast. I went into the dealership they day she arrived, asked them to start the truck up and give it a little gas while I stood at the back for a listen. Said "We need the Borla on this" and left. lol

I picked mine up on a Friday afternoon & drove home about 35 miles, mostly highway.
Went to Cars & Coffee the following Sunday morning, total trip over 200 miles.
I'm up to 6/700 miles now, 0 issues.
I don't think I even tried the adaptive cruise yet, it's way too fun to not drive it myself.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back