First and Last Time Wash

AXE

Reaction score
I gave this rig an inaugural wash. I figure this will be the first and last time it'll look this good, so decided to capture some photos.

This rig is a bitch to wash. Not only due to size, but there's so damn many plastic parts, crevices, emblems, cut outs, grill openings, etc that the soap and water never stop running out. Had it all clean and dried. Took it for a drive and shit ran and blew everywhere from every nook and cranny. Had to wipe it down a second time.

Attachments

• 20231029_170311.jpg
    20231029_170311.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20231029_170125.jpg
    20231029_170125.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20231029_165942.jpg
    20231029_165942.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 127
Yep! The Go wash I have a monthly with has air hoses at each vacuum bay. Helps to blow all the nooks and crannies out. The grill is the worse....

If it's even possible, the grill on the 2500 seems to drip even longer than the 1500. Coming from under front of hood. It's got bigger openings, so maybe easier to get towel in there.

This thing won't even go through the automatic washes around here. They are 78 inches.

There's a good hand wash place with triple foam and purified water rinse, but it's still a hell of a lot of work.

Yeah I did a trip from Vegas to San Francisco and drove right up the middle of California through the valley areas and got absolutely smashed with bugs. It took SEVERAL washes to get it somewhat clean again. Crickets/Locusts are the worse!

Yeah I did a trip from Vegas to San Francisco and drove right up the middle of California through the valley areas and got absolutely smashed with bugs. It took SEVERAL washes to get it somewhat clean again. Crickets/Locusts are the worse!

One thing I've found that gets the bugs off much quicker is hose off the loose crusty parts, let it dry again, then spray it with Goo Gone Citrus Cleaner. Then let that work a few hours or even over night. Then house if again and most will come off. Then a regular wash!

https://a.co/d/ayqTz38

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Goo Gone Adhesive Remover Spray Gel - 2 Pack and Sticker Lifter - Removes Chewing Gum Grease Tar Stickers Labels Tape Residue Oil Blood Lipstick Mascara https://a.co/d/byaugVp

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I gave this rig an inaugural wash. I figure this will be the first and last time it'll look this good, so decided to capture some photos.

This rig is a bitch to wash. Not only due to size, but there's so damn many plastic parts, crevices, emblems, cut outs, grill openings, etc that the soap and water never stop running out. Had it all clean and dried. Took it for a drive and shit ran and blew everywhere from every nook and cranny. Had to wipe it down a second time.
While I have the 1500, I can only imagine, I'm really not a fan of all the plastic trim either, particularly around the fenders. It's just another dust and mud trap. I drive mine on our farm and decided to try to stay ahead, as best I can, of accumulated dust and such. I also wanted to do a little better on paint and plastic protection, so for now, I'm using a Lucas Oil spray treatment, comes in a blue bottle. I spray and wipe down the whole exterior, except the glass. I am going to use up the bottle and try to make it through hunting seasons to spring.

Reactions: AXE
I use my leaf blower to blow all that excess water out...works great!
I actually used mine yesterday and it helped, but there is water and soap trapped everywhere on this rig. Plus you need a 3 step ladder to even get up on the hood to reach there.

I rinsed this thing a lot. The hood scoop and Duramax emblems on the hood are primary culprit, along with grill. However these Bison bumpers have several trim pieces that hold gunk. I hardly had this offroad and there's dirt dripping from the bumper and multiflex tailgate like it's a year old.

These Bison rims aren't bad too wash and dry as the openings are just right. I'm worried about how long the finish will hold up.

Gonna be a project keeping it clean. My previous Duramaxes were easier to wash than both the 1500 and 2500 ZR2s. Just not a lot of excess trim pieces to clean.

While I have the 1500, I can only imagine, I'm really not a fan of all the plastic trim either, particularly around the fenders. It's just another dust and mud trap. I drive mine on our farm and decided to try to stay ahead, as best I can, of accumulated dust and such. I also wanted to do a little better on paint and plastic protection, so for now, I'm using a Lucas Oil spray treatment, comes in a blue bottle. I spray and wipe down the whole exterior, except the glass. I am going to use up the bottle and try to make it through hunting seasons to spring.
I agree, I just spent a few weeks running around the ND farm in my 1500 in various conditions. This thing really soaks up the dust and mud. I couldn't believe the amount of dust under my tonneau which seems to seal well. I must have sprayed 15 gallons of water on that multiflex tailgate to get it to stop leaking mud. Then a few days later, I put it down and more damn mud ran out....I do like the multiflex tho......LOL

Like you, I really hate the plastic guards. They actually give.less protection over time. The vibrating plastic and trapped dirt and debris cuts through paint. If you live where they salt roads, it'll be a mess in 4 or 5 years.

It's almost like gm and the car wash people got together and are trying to get us to spend more time at the car wash. Seems like the soap never comes off

Reactions: AXE
It's almost like gm and the car wash people got together and are trying to get us to spend more time at the car wash. Seems like the soap never comes off
Exactly! It's like $20-25 a wash now. I hose mine down at the house when really dirty, but the water is so hard here it leaves a mess, especially when it dries in 3 minutes in the summer heat and you don't even have time to wipe it off.

Exactly! It's like $20-25 a wash now. I hose mine down at the house when really dirty, but the water is so hard here it leaves a mess, especially when it dries in 3 minutes in the summer heat and you don't even have time to wipe it off.
I'm so picky about keeping my truck clean that I would go nuts if I owned a black one. I've owned a black truck, car and a Harley. Now I run away from black vehicles........ :cool:

ZR2 farm truck???

Most Member Reactions

Back