Gonna CUT my antenna!!??

GO2JAIL

Reaction score
My antenna is about 4" too long for my garage. I think I'm going to cut it off so it will be about 2" taller than my shark fin so it will also serve as a clearance indicator for parking garages. Whaddya think???

I cut mine for Naturally Aspirated purposes. . . . . .

1000033553.jpg

The little wire that wraps around at the end can come undone at the cut point.
You can get a small vacuum tip in the HELP section at the local VatoZone and gorilla glue it on for a factory finish

I cut mine for Naturally Aspirated purposes. . . . . .

View attachment 11385

The little wire that wraps around at the end can come undone at the cut point.
You can get a small vacuum tip in the HELP section at the local VatoZone and gorilla glue it on for a factory finish
Looks like some dinner in the background.

I would buy an aftermarket antenna. They come in various sizes. Then stash the original in the underneath storage in case your out in the boonies and need better reception.

The antenna from the HDs is a shorter version and actually looks stout and not too bad in appearance. Maybe you can round one up.

Attachments

• 20240320_132405.jpg
    20240320_132405.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 33
My antenna is about 4" too long for my garage. I think I'm going to cut it off so it will be about 2" taller than my shark fin so it will also serve as a clearance indicator for parking garages. Whaddya think???
I would buy a shorter one. Just cutting one can do weird things for reception. You can buy all different lengths online. Like AXE said the one for the HD trucks is pretty nice. It's thicker and shorter. It does work as a clearance indicator. It is only about .5" taller than the cab of the truck. So if the Antenna hits the truck probably will also. Not sure why the 1500s come with the really long one still. Also the highest point on the truck isn't the shark fin, Its the back of the cab. Just a little past where the sun roof stops. Hard to tell just by looking, But the rear of the cab slopes up. Which actually makes the antenna a little more important for a clearance indicator. Cause if you are to tall, the back of the cab is what will hit. No way to see that from inside the truck.

I just cut mine 4" and JB welded a vacuum plug on the end. No reception problems, it's 2" higher than the shark fin.

I tried the HD antenna but it is too short to act as a clearance antenna and it is a different thread size.

Most Member Reactions

Back